“Lovely, relaxing hotel with rustic bungalows and delicious restaurant” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Naga Hill Resort

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Chiang Rai
Naga Hill Resort
You added Naga Hill Resort to your Saves list
M. 8 Baan Pha-oo Tambon Bandou, Chiang Rai 57100, Thailand   |
Ranked #20 of 119 Chiang Rai B&B and Inns
Jersey City, New Jersey
“Lovely, relaxing hotel with rustic bungalows and delicious restaurant”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 15, 2011

Located in the countryside outside Chiang Rai, Thailand, Naga Hill is very serene with an open air restaurant and pool overlooking farmland. The menu consists of delicious Thai foods with European influences on breakfast. For lunch or dinner, the Pad Thai is delicious. For breakfast, the coffee, orange juice, and mixed fruit are delectable. The bungalows are rustic and provide a relaxing, tropical, and somewhat exotic feel. We stayed two nights and love our time. Any sleep troubles were due to adjusting to the time change from the States. Also, somewhat nearby attractions (by an hour long car ride) Doi Tung and Doi Mae Salong are stunning.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
Makati, Philippines
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 27, 2010

Just went back from Thailand and have stayed three nights in Naga hill.
One of the best resort I've been this year. Beautiful, comfortable, peaceful and also good food.
Especially the friendly people there. Since this was my first time to Chiang Rai, they are really helpful to arrange/recommend what I need and where I wanna go.
Thanks to the manager Jo, chef Yannick and all staff for the hosting.
And I definitely will go back again:)

• Stayed November 2010, traveled with family
Sydney
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2010

Naga Hill is fantastic. It's like staying on a tropical farm. The pool is warm and salty and the bungalows are so open and airy that it's almost like some sort of deluxe camping trip.

We stayed for two nights earlier this week in a medium bungalow (#4) and had a lovely time. There were, however, a couple of drawbacks.

- no free wifi (except on the hotel's laptop at the bar which they also used to conduct business)
- no free breakfast (and nowhere close by to eat in the morning if you don't fancy shelling out 160 Baht for a tiny portion of muesli, fruit and coffee) and the
- staff were always flat off their feet, meaning that the service was pretty bad sometimes (we had to go to the bar and order everytime and ask a few times for things that should have come with the meal)

If i could make some recommendations, they might include:
- inclusion of breakfast in rate (even if it means increasing the rate by a dollar or two)
- more wifi routers, especially in the bungalows
- more staff. the resort was full when we were there, so it's not like they need to downsize due to lack of guests. honestly, for the sake of both staff and guests, hire more help!

all that aside, beautiful place. would recommend.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family
Colorado
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 1, 2010

Hi all:
I am the DE for Chiang Rai. I had stayed at this hotel in December 2009 and did a comparison of 6 hotels, including this one, on the Chiang Rai forum. I neglected to put the individual review on this hotel section at the time, so here it is:

I spent two nights at Naga Hills Resort:

Rate: We had two bungalows at this hotel. The room rate was 1,200 baht for the medium room, for two people, but did not include breakfast. The rate for the small bungalow was 800 baht.

Rooms: The medium bungalow had a king size bed. The bedding was comfortable with clean linens and towels. The towels were not big fluffy towels but they were decent size towels and a bit thicker than at Palm Garden. The room itself is a bit crowded. The bed is on a platform and there is a small area at the end of the bed, between the door and the bed, but not much walking room at all. This room was more crowded than Palm Garden’s room, which I had also found to be small. There is a deluxe room that has a separate living room so if your budget can handle it, I’d recommend booking the deluxe room. The rooms have no air conditioning, no T.V., no phone, no hair dryer and no mini bar. There was no wifi connection available in the medium or small bungalows and this was a real draw back for me, as I like to be able to sit in bed at the end of a long day and get an Internet connection.

There is wifi connection available in the deluxe rooms and in the restaurant and pool area, but you have to purchase an Internet code to use the wireless. It was 60 baht for a ½ hour and 100 baht for 1 hour, which I thought was incredibly high. Their website states wifi is available but does not mention that there is a charge for its use.

The doors and windows to the room have to be locked with the latches on each. Each door (double doors) has a latch on the bottom and top, as does the door to the outside bathroom and the windows, so it made for lots of “latching” at night.

I was worried about the bathroom, as I knew they were open air. However, we really liked the bathrooms in the medium bungalow. It is completely covered by a roof overhang, so there isn’t much chance that rain or weather would get into the bathroom. The bathroom is very spacious. The shower is in the tub. You have to open a door in the bedroom and walk down some steps to the bathroom, so in the evening you do have to be careful not to trip, as the steps are at an angle. Also, wear your slippers, as I did have to kill some large, very black spiders in the bathroom at night. You however are not going outside of the bungalow to get to the bathroom in the medium bungalow. The toiletries were fine but nothing special.

The bathroom in the small bungalow was not as good as the one in the medium bungalow. You have to climb down a steep full set of stairs, all outside of the bungalow, to the ground level, to use the bathroom. I would not recommend this for anyone with balance, knee or any other ambulatory issues. My adult son stayed in the small bungalow and he did not like the bathroom situation, despite being quite physically fit and young.

There was a safe in the room, but it was not large enough to fit a small laptop.

There are mosquito nets on the bed, but they have had a lot of wear.

Every time I plugged my cell phone charger or computer into the outlet to charge, it sparked, quite significantly. We never left them plugged in when we weren’t in the room.

Service: Good. When we arrived someone assisted our guide, Jermsak, with our bags. I had a bouquet of flowers, which they took and cut and placed in a vase in a lovely arrangement, which they left in our bungalow. We arrived prior to check in time so our bungalows were not ready, but they stored our luggage and had it all placed in the correct bungalows when we returned late that evening. The front desk staff we dealt with primarily was Kaew. He was very helpful, friendly and pleasant.

Lobby: Very nice open air type lobby, restaurant and deck area. The grounds of the Resort are beautiful. They are well maintained and provide for a tranquil and peaceful environment.

Pool: We found it too cold to be in the pool and didn’t notice anyone else in the pool while we were there, but it is a large, nice pool in a tranquil setting with plenty of lounge chairs given the size of the resort. I’m sure it gets more use in the summer months.

Massage: I had a Thai massage at the poolside sala. The massage was 300 baht and it was an excellent massage. They did not offer foot massages.

Location: This was a draw back for me. I thought it wouldn’t be a problem to be this far from town, but we found it to be too much of an inconvenience for us. There are not tuk tuk or taxis right outside the resort, but they will call one for you, but it could take 20 or 30 minutes to arrive. This would be a good place to stay if you are coming for a peaceful getaway and you don’t want to be near town and don’t care about the distance to town. There are some restaurants within walking distance, as the hotel is close to the University.

We had a significant problem sleeping at Naga Hills as there were roosters crowing. The first night it didn’t start until 5 a.m., which wasn’t much of a problem for us as we were rising at 6 a.m. that morning anyway. The second night it started at 1 a.m. and every time the roosters crowed, nearby dogs responded with barking. This was a problem especially seeing a Karaoke bar nearby was still going strong at midnight. My earplugs were not enough to block out the noise and both of my adult children experienced the same issue. This might vary depending on where in the resort your bungalow is located. We were in bungalows 3 and 6 and it was a problem in both.

Cooking Class: My kids took a cooking class here and neither was impressed. It was not a hands on cooking class and only lasted one hour. The cost was 500 baht for three dishes, plus the menu cost of the dish, which totaled 800 baht per person for the class. I’ve taken cooking classes in Thailand and other countries and always enjoyed the hands on cooking experience. Here they just observed the chef and were able to ask questions through a translator. The food that was prepared was great, but they'd give the class a "miss" next time.

Restaurant/Food: We ate breakfast one morning and found the food to be good, but pricey. A cup of tea was 30 baht, as was a small cup of instant coffee. You had to pay another 30 baht for refills on coffee. The restaurant does not open until 8 a.m., which didn’t work well for me. I need coffee long before that time. The lunch meal we had was the one that resulted from the cooking class mentioned above. The lunch meal was excellent and the food priced more reasonably than breakfast. A glass of wine with lunch was 210 baht for a house wine, which I found pricey.

Overall Impression: This resort has a certain attraction for someone looking for a cozy atmosphere in a beautiful setting and who wants to just relax and hang out at the resort. It isn’t a place I’d stay if I wanted quick access to town, the night market, the morning market, foot massages or restaurants, as it adds cost to get to and from these places and it is time consuming. Also, the extra charge for coffee, tea, full breakfast and wireless Internet at Naga Hills should be considered in your cost comparison to other hotels.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled with family
Auckland, New Zealand
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2010

We came out here for the White Temple and only managed one night but all 5 of us agreed we'd love to stay MUCH longer.

The food is incredible, the service good, the view stunning, with a large pool (little cold at 6pm) and the huts were fairy tale. We had little thatched huts, with a wide King Bed and net curtains. The nets were in good condition and I felt like a fairy princess. The bathroom is open air, and has a deep tiled bath.

As you walk along the path at dusk there are bugs everywhere, but bug spray and the coils in the huts meant I didn't get bitten at all. This place is magical, and I slept to the sound of serenading geckos.... and woke to the sound of students singing at the university nearby.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled with friends
San Diego, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 23, 2010

This place was one of my favorites in all of my travels. The bungalows were so cool, the design was so unique and charming, like staying in a treehouse! Love the outdoor bathrooms, the shower was the warmest we had anywhere! I could see the moon from the toliet,,how neat is that? The beds were so comfortable, I booked the smallest bungalow, and it was perfect for my friend and I. The smallest bungalows were the only ones that had the loft style bedroom, so glad we booked it. Great lounge area down below, and great privacy, you couldnt see any other bungalows from yours. The grounds were beautiful, and well taken care of, very zen! The restaurant gets top reviews too, very romantic, and wonderful music, and the food...ahh, fantastic! Great menu, we ate there twice a day! Great coffee, and pancakes! The staff is fantastic, great service and so helpful on things to do, made us feel very at home. Nice pool too, and it was refreshing on a warm afternoon. There wasnt free internet, but you could log on for a charge. The only negative, is that it is quite a ways from the city of Chiang Rai, will cost you 200 baht every time you want to go. This isnt a problem if you have your own transportation..car, motorbike, or dont need to leave, which you may not want to since the place is so wonderful! Great romantic getway, and I was just traveling with my friend! I have to go back with someone wonderful~ Highly recommended!

• Stayed January 2010, traveled on business
Cambridge, MA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2010

We didn't want to stay right in Chiang Rai town, and chose this small 'resort' immediately upon seeing their website. We were not disappointed in any way, and highly recommend Naga Hill to anyone looking for some peace and quiet in 'upscale-rustic' accomodations.

We chose a deluxe bungalow and were so glad we did. Big comfy bed with mosquito netting, nice patio with umbrella, chair and lounger, lovely outdoor bathroom (although hot water was spotty), a small living area with sofa, and great windows, all covered with mosquito screens. Perfect.

The staff were beyond wonderful, especially the lovely Tri, who seemed to do everything, remember everything, and smile and just be such a kind person, no matter what we wanted or asked. She was fantastic.

We had many meals in the restaurant and cannot recommend the food highly enough. Everything - breakfasts, lunches and dinners, were expertly prepared, extremely tasty, and abundant in portion. The menu is so varied and there are so many choices, it's hard to understand how they do it all so well... Great coffee, too, BTW.

(As an aside, and having nothing to do whatsoever with Naga Hill or the staff, I would only say that there were several smoking guests at the resort while we were there, and their cigarette smoke was most unwelcomed during our meals...)

We worried that perhaps it would be a pain to get into town or to get around, but that wasn't the case at all. With just some notice, Tri called us a driver and they arrived within half an hour. No problem. Similarly, all the tuk-tuk drivers in town got us home in 15 minutes and for 200 baht.

The views from the pool and restaurant are lovley, and they play such great music... Bach and Mozart in the morning, jazz and soft rock at lunch, and sort of Euro-pop and world-music stuff at night.

Absolutely loved Naga Hill. Would come back and would highly recommend it to anyone looking for some down time in a peaceful, secluded location.

Stayed February 2010, traveled as a couple

Been to Naga Hill Resort? Share your experiences!