“Dodgy Front desk staff.” 4 of 5 stars

Wiang Inn Hotel
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   893 Phaholyothin Road, Chiang Rai 57000, Thailand   |
Ranked #25 of 107 Hotels in Chiang Rai
3.5 of 5 stars 343 Reviews
“Dodgy Front desk staff.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2013 via mobile

Stayed here for two nights and at the price it was good value for money. The general staff were friendly but front desk left a lot to be desired. I needed a taxi to go to golf and was given the phone number by desk staff member and told to ring myself. Language barriers with the call centre meant going outside and hailing a tuk tuk. On day of departure I booked a taxi to the airport with a desk staff member ( he could do it but I pay him 250 Baht) I said it was expensive but figured I would pay for the convenience. I reported to the desk to check out and enquired about my taxi and he replied ( laughing the way Thai's do when they make a mistake)"i forgot". I will call now for you... Cost 300 baht. He must have also forgotten his previous quote. I stormed out, hailed a tuk tuk and made it to the aorport on time. I will contact the hotel manager because it left a sour taste after an otherwise good stay.

• Stayed September 2013

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (28)
  • Greek first
  • Thai first
Phuket, Thailand
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 21, 2013

At first I was a bit worried because reviewers mentioned the ongoing renovations of the 2nd and the 3rd floor. We had a nice twin room on the 5th floor and there was hardly any noise during the day. The carpets in the rooms and the isles kept the noise Level very low at night. Only early in the Mornings staff or roommates were noisy in front of our door.
Over all a very good 4 night stay.

Room Tip: Rooms in the back towards the Swimming pool or the parking lot are very quiet.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Wellington, New Zealand
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2013

I stayed at the hotel for 9 days while I was doing some volunteer work at an orphanage. The hotel location is very handy as it is just around the corner from the night market, it is only a couple of blocks from the gold large clock (main landmark, center of town).

The lobby is nice, they are in the process of renovating the rooms, the one I was in was renovated and felt fresh. The pool area is tired looking.

I booked the room through a discount website and found then the room rate was reasonable and it included a buffet breakfast (both Asian and Western food). However I was a little frustrated with the extra's they charged. Each day I needed a taxi to go to the orphanage, I asked them to call a taxi and I had the name of the place written down so they could explain on the phone were I needed to go. They charged 7bht (.50 New Zealand) each time, total $5.00. They have Wifi in the lobby but it was really slow and didn't work half the time, so I ended up using their computer in the business center and they charge 100 bht per hour, even if just using the computer and not the internet, which I needed a couple of times to prepare items for the next day. I used it for about an hour a day and it ended up costing me over $45.00 NZ, which I think is a lot as most hotels do not charge you for it.

I have travelled a lot through Asia for both holidays and business, and one thing that always impresses me is the high level of service and the politeness of the staff. I was very disappointed with the service at the hotel. Every morning I had breakfast there, there were at least four staff just standing around, only once I was greeted at the door and shown to my seat. I usually had to approach the staff and give them my voucher. They don't clear your plate away or come around to top up your coffee or tea, doing such small things can make a difference instead of just standing around. Due to the poor service I did not bother to have dinner there each evening.

It was very rare any of the staff greet you, 90% of the time I would say "Good Morning / evening" then they would look up and greet you. There was no friendliness when they assist you. In the evenings the guy was wearing a headset and watching something on the computer and you feel like you are disturbing him when I wanted to purchase an internet voucher.
The first time I took the taxi to the orphanage the driver could not speak English so I asked the Bellman to ask how much as it was just a little out of town. They had a conversation and then the Bellman told me the rate, which I agreed to. The next day I took the taxi and the driver used the meter and it was half the price of what I paid the day before. I was so disappointed as I rely on the Bellman to assist so I don't get taken advantage of. The next day when I questioned him about it he just shrugged his shoulders. After a couple of days the service of the Bellman improved but I think that was because I was giving them a good tip.
I filled in my comment card when I left and explained the hotel has a lot of good things to offer but they really fall down on the customer service, yet it is such an inexpensive thing to fix. I did receive an apology email but was surprised as my name was on the form and on the room booking and it is a female name but when they sent the apology they wrote "Dear Sir", which the apology lost it's impact, it would have been nice to have used my name or a least got the sex right.
If you are looking for a reasonable price, clean place to stay that is centrally located it is an okay place but don't have any expectation on service.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
Reading, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2013

Really mixed feelings about this hotel. We stopped here for three night while sight seeing in the area. The hotel is a 4 star and is one of the biggest in town. The hotel is nice and rooms really big with ok decor. Bad bits : would of been nice to be told about the work going on at the hotel , Was noisy at times and for the price we was paying very annoying ! Bathrooms are very dated and even thou clean very much dark and muggy. Good bits: good location in town, nice simple but clean pool and here the most important ... Staff and manger ... Amazing, polite and funny. Always took the time to smile and talk if needed. Really did stop this rating from from being a three star over four.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
Jakarta, Indonesia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2013 via mobile

This hotel only have 5 level and 3rd and 4th floor are being renovated. We stay at the top floor and the room condition clean and look new. They totally closed and blocked the renovation area but we still can smell ashes in elevator when we go up or down thru 3-4 floor. Old swimming pool at ground floor near the lobby.
We called this hotel directly to make a reservation. They didn't reply my email
but easy check in. Great services and friendly staff.
Breakfast is great and have a lot of choice. There is a great thai restaurant near hotel gate, just turn left. Great taste, many choices of food and cheap price.
We booked airport transfer at hotel with reasonable price.
Located very closed to night market, easy to find food or some souvenirs but not as good as night market in Chiang mai.

• Stayed August 2013
Tel Aviv
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2013

We came to this hotel with not so much expectations considering the low price and we have been positively surprised .
The hotel is well located close to the night market, restaurants...
Free WIFi (working fairly well comparing to other hotels in Thailand)
Beautiful lobby.
Rooms are spacious and globally well equipped & furnished (considering the hotel price) with Tea/coffee kit. We booked and got 2 rooms with connecting door.
Breakfast is OK offering a wide choice of dishes (local and continental)
Competent and friendly staff: after checking-out and leaving the hotel, the hotel has managed to reach our guide to inform us that the chamber maid has found our smart phone (it was highly appreciated).
Conclusion: Considering the price & value offered, hotel definitely recommended.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2013 via mobile

I stayed at this hotel for one night with my big family. At first, I thought because this is a 4-star hotel they must be concerned with the maintenance. But, I was absolutely WRONG. My auntie and my cousin trapped in the elevator for almost an hour. The technician was very slow and they seems like they didn't know what to do because they kept doing the same things although it didn't work.
I just wish they've changed the elevator and learn from this problem.

• Stayed August 2013

Been to Wiang Inn Hotel? Share your experiences!