“Small hotel with big heart” 4 of 5 stars

The North Hotel
612/100-101 Sirikorn Market, Chiang Rai, Thailand   |
Ranked #34 of 107 Hotels in Chiang Rai
UK
“Small hotel with big heart”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2009

After reading the recent posts about The North Hotel in Chiang Rai I was dubious about returning there. However, my fears were unfounded. Yes the rooms are small, and there is no lift ,but it is a BUDGET hotel.
The staff were very very welcoming for me and more than helpful. The food was very tasty and the hospitality was, again, fantastic. The owner worked over and above to ensure that our party got to everywhere that we wanted to go. I also saw him do this with other guests also.
If you are looking for a great priced hotel in a great location then this should be your choice. Just don't expect 5 star hotel facilities. our rooms were always kept clean and tidy by the staff. The laundry was only 5 Baht per item (amazing) and delivered back the next day. For that price you should not expect it same day.
I love this little hotel and my friends all agree that we will return when back in Chiang Rai.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
  • Thai first
Bangkok
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2009

I recently had the chance to get to Chiang Rai for some R&R and found The North to be just what I needed. Centrally located with cute rooms, well presented northern touches all in a valued style and cost to the customer...

The staff were present and attentive when asked for help.

I would suggest The North for anyone seeking an easy stay in a great location at a value.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled solo
Canberra
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2009

We check in to stay at The North Hotel for two nights in September 2009 and checked out after the first night!

When we arrived we were shown to our room. Immediately, I wondered if the room had been cleaned as there was someone else's slippers on the floor. After checking the bed, it was clear that it needed to be changed - there was hair on the sheets, and the linen was stained. I asked the owner to arrange for this and he looked at me and said that the room was cleaned two days ago and no one else had been in it since then.

The 'white' towels that lay on the bed for us were grey and very very old.

We didn't find the owner overly helpful. When we checked in he asked if we wanted to book some tours through him and when we said we didn't, that was pretty much the end of the conversation. It would have been helpful if he got out a map and showed us where we were, where we could go, where the markets were etc.

When we asked was there somewhere nearby where we could get out laundry done, the owner advised that they could do it for 5 baht per piece. We explained that we needed it done fairly quickly to which he said he could do - we came back to the hotel two hours later and it was still sitting in the reception area.

The two young guys who were working there were really only interested in chatting with friends out the back of the hotel or surfing the internet. We came back to our room while these guys were changing the bed and they had the TV on watching it.

The rooms are absolutely tiny, I had to stand against the wall so my partner get around me to get to his side of the bed. Luckily we had left some of our luggage back in Chiang Mai - otherwise we would have had to store it out on the balcony, there was only enough room for one bag.

The bathrooms were not small but tiny - certainly no room to unpack your toiletry bag/wetpacks.

The breakfast was appalling. Even by choosing off the menu that had pictures on it, we ended up with something completely different and it didn't taste good.

I'd like to say that you get what you pay for, but even for A$26 per night you should still expect to have clean sheets.

All in all, it wasn't a good time for us at The North Hotel.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple
New Zealand
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2009

I agree with all the other comments about this excellent hotel. My only disappointment was that most of the staff do not speak English and this is why,as another reviewer stated,some appear a little stand offish. Probably too shy to try and converse. I like to get to know and talk to the staff,especially as i'm a loner traveller. Sanga ,the owner speaks very good English aqnd is usually there in the evenings.One of the staff on reception does speak some English so no problem booking in. They arranged an excellent tour of the Golden Triangle for me.I also gather that 3 of the staff can do massage.Ask Sanga to arrange a walking tour for you. I had one with a very knowlegable man who explained about the buildings ,Pagodas and the history of Chiang Rai. He even gave me a cup of tea at his house.Hotel central to everything. Cheers Ray from New Zealand

• Stayed June 2009, traveled solo
Melbourne
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 23, 2009

We recently spent 3 nights at The North Hotel. It's in a great location near the Night Market. It used to be next door to the bus station which was handy if coming by bus from Chaing Mai but there is now a new bus station just outside of town. The Manager, Sanga, very kindly picked us up so there was no problem finding where to go. The hotel is good value for money. The rooms are quite small and the bathroom is tiny but the aircon was good and the service from Sanga was excellent. A couple of extras was free laundry and free internet access. We had no problem with night time noise but our room did not face the market. Also at night you can sit in the foyer/restaurant and listen to Jazz Music. Would recommend this hotel for those on a budget.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled as a couple
Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 14, 2009

Stayed at the North for 3 nights in March on the 2nd floor (terrace room). The rooms were clean and comfortable, although I found the bathroom very small. The hot water comes from solar and is very hot.

The hotel pick up from the airport was great and priced reasonably. Most of the staff didn't speak good english but the manager was usually around to answer any questions we had.

To help answer the question about is it noisy being so close the night market; I can easily say it wasn't an issue. My room actually faced the direction of the market and not once was I disturbed by noise. The same can't be said for my friend, who's room faced the street and had to deal with loud music from a shop who installed car stereo's. The noise was definitely deafing and started around 6:30am. So make sure you request a room not facing the street.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled with friends
Pattaya, Thailand
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2009

Found this converted shop unit whist using Googleearth: great location next to the night bazaar, especially good for shopping and watching the free evening shows in the market. Room was rather small but we were busy out and about so quite adequate. The staff were a little stand offish but at B900/night you get what you pay for.

• Stayed October 2008, traveled as a couple

Been to The North Hotel? Share your experiences!