“I CAN RECOMMEND THIS HOTEL ,I WOULD STAY AGAIN” 5 of 5 stars

The North Hotel
612/100-101 Sirikorn Market, Chiang Rai, Thailand   |
Ranked #34 of 107 Hotels in Chiang Rai
New Zealand
“I CAN RECOMMEND THIS HOTEL ,I WOULD STAY AGAIN”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2009

I agree with all the other comments about this excellent hotel. My only disappointment was that most of the staff do not speak English and this is why,as another reviewer stated,some appear a little stand offish. Probably too shy to try and converse. I like to get to know and talk to the staff,especially as i'm a loner traveller. Sanga ,the owner speaks very good English aqnd is usually there in the evenings.One of the staff on reception does speak some English so no problem booking in. They arranged an excellent tour of the Golden Triangle for me.I also gather that 3 of the staff can do massage.Ask Sanga to arrange a walking tour for you. I had one with a very knowlegable man who explained about the buildings ,Pagodas and the history of Chiang Rai. He even gave me a cup of tea at his house.Hotel central to everything. Cheers Ray from New Zealand

• Stayed June 2009, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
  • Thai first
Melbourne
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 23, 2009

We recently spent 3 nights at The North Hotel. It's in a great location near the Night Market. It used to be next door to the bus station which was handy if coming by bus from Chaing Mai but there is now a new bus station just outside of town. The Manager, Sanga, very kindly picked us up so there was no problem finding where to go. The hotel is good value for money. The rooms are quite small and the bathroom is tiny but the aircon was good and the service from Sanga was excellent. A couple of extras was free laundry and free internet access. We had no problem with night time noise but our room did not face the market. Also at night you can sit in the foyer/restaurant and listen to Jazz Music. Would recommend this hotel for those on a budget.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled as a couple
Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 14, 2009

Stayed at the North for 3 nights in March on the 2nd floor (terrace room). The rooms were clean and comfortable, although I found the bathroom very small. The hot water comes from solar and is very hot.

The hotel pick up from the airport was great and priced reasonably. Most of the staff didn't speak good english but the manager was usually around to answer any questions we had.

To help answer the question about is it noisy being so close the night market; I can easily say it wasn't an issue. My room actually faced the direction of the market and not once was I disturbed by noise. The same can't be said for my friend, who's room faced the street and had to deal with loud music from a shop who installed car stereo's. The noise was definitely deafing and started around 6:30am. So make sure you request a room not facing the street.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled with friends
Pattaya, Thailand
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2009

Found this converted shop unit whist using Googleearth: great location next to the night bazaar, especially good for shopping and watching the free evening shows in the market. Room was rather small but we were busy out and about so quite adequate. The staff were a little stand offish but at B900/night you get what you pay for.

• Stayed October 2008, traveled as a couple
Toronto
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 20, 2008

This budget hotel was an amazing find. The English-speaking owner has lived in Norway and has gone to great lengths to make everything just so. The hospitality and location could not be beat. The hotel is right next to the night bazaar and 1 minute's walk to the bus station. They arranged a private tour of the golden triangle for us doing exactly what we wanted for less than the travel agencies' group prices. They accomodated every request we had. This hotel is simple, clean, and beyond friendly, and the food (chicken soup on request for a sore throat) and free computers and internet are simply bonuses. They also did our laundry for free because we stayed 2 nights. While the accomodations are simple, the bed is comfortable and the linens were 1st class. On our 2nd night a few of the trainee employees took their FREE TIME to take my mother and me to a local walking street with buskers, market stalls, etc. I would absolutely stay here again if I were in Chiang Rai.

• Liked — the staff
  • Disliked — the shower
  • Stayed December 2008, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Voss
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2008

This hotel give you exelent value for your travel money: Friendly staff, good service, comfortable rooms and a good restaurant. They can offer guided tours and know how to suggest some entertainment in town.

• Liked — The tasty decoration and comfortable beds
  • Disliked — Cant recall anything negative.
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled solo
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to The North Hotel? Share your experiences!