“Holiday to remember” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #2 of 48 hotels in Cha-am
Dublin
“Holiday to remember”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 26, 2009

Travelled from Ireland to the Sheraton Hua Hin for the Christmas and New year break. I could write a book about our trip as it was so amazing.

We booked two lagoon access rooms for ourselves and our three kids (11-8 and 6) The rooms were a perfect size exceptionally clean and amazing to have our own personal pool. The pool is 4ft deep throughout which was great for the safety of our kids. The lagoon leads to a beautiful main pool which over looks the ocean. Where it is a pity that the beach was not nice, the grass area beside it was perfect for sunbathing and the pool staff were great.

The first night we arrived we ate in ASIA restaurant which was lovely but wondered why it and all the restaurants were not busy, It turned out that most people went out to eat every night. The beach restaurant had a BBQ twice a week which we found very good. The Salas restaurant was good for lunch but a little expensive. A new hotel had just opened 100 yards down the beach called Yai Ya which had beautiful food and a friendly atmosphere for lunch and dinner. We ate in the Dusit Thani and Anantra hotels which are well worth a visit lovely food and very luxurious.

The town of Hua Hin is not what we expected, at first we were cautious about our safety but soon realised that it was totally safe. The people are happy ,easy going and a pleasure to see how they use there hand skills to make a living. The night market is well worth a visit. We went for a foot message opposite the Hilton Hotel with the kids which was a great experience, they loved it. ( €30.00 for five of us including a tip) We ate at two restaurants in town, 1/ Cafe de Paris which was nice and the food excellent. 2/ Coco 51, nice beach restaurant, good food and lovely atmosphere with Jazz playing in the backround.

We went elephant riding which the children loved, they offer 1 hour rides but we only took 30 minutes which was definately enough.

Before signing off I will return to the Sheraton. I would highly recommend this hotel. One change I think they should make is there restaurant set up and bar they could make more comfortable.

The staff at the Sheraton were unbelieveable, from the bell boys, to reception, pool staff, and management. Thai people are exactly what you hear, friendly, generous and amazing with children.

I could not recommend the Sheraton and Thailand highly enough!!

Finally, we took a 30 minute plane hop back to Bangkok (€60.00 pp) which was a lot less stressful than the 2.5 hour transfer. When you see how they drive you will know where I am coming from!

Enjoy,

David

• Liked — The Lagoon pool
  • Stayed December 2008, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

812 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (237)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
Geneva
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 16, 2009

We spent 10 great days in this beautiful resort with the most amazing lagoon pool and loved every single day of our stay here.

The staff were very welcoming and kind and the service outstanding. They were incredibly sweet with our children, going out of their way to make them feel welcome. The rooms were very modern, clean and comfortable. The setting and the gardens were beautiful; the gardens were impecabbly tended too and a real pleasure to look at.

The restaurants were good. Breakfast a real feast, lunches by the pool very pleasant and dinner - we had the set menu - was good. Everything was beautifully served and presented.

The spa was beautiful, very relaxing and peaceful with great treatments. The kids club was great. The staff here went out of their way to entertain the kids and were amazingly smiley at all times. Our kids begged to spend a few hours there every day.

If you want a place to rest and relax with your family, enjoy a beautiful setting, cocktails by the pool and recharge your batteries then this is the place to come to!

• Liked — Clean, modern and comfortable.
  • Disliked — Lack of character...
  • Stayed January 2009, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Shenzhen, China
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2008

Spacious room, bath.
Not very well maintained as I saw cracked on the wall in my room.

Location is about 10mins car ride from clock tower (center of hua hin), but hotel provides paid van to shuttle to/from the clock tower.

I prefer to eat seafood outside the hotel as it's more authentic and worth the value.

• Liked — nice pool
  • Disliked — location
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Bucks
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2008

We chose the Sheraton after reading all the other reviews and were not disappointed. We wanted a relaxing, quiet beach break before tackling bustling Bangkok, and my only regret was not spending more of our time in Thailand here. We found the staff to be excellent from check-in to check out.

We had a garden terrace room with a comfortable and roomy king size bed. The room was well appointed, and generously proportioned with a double wardrobe each. There was even an iron and board in the room, and you get 4 bottles of water daily. Our bathroom had an extra wide bathtub plus shower, which seems to be standard. Showers in Thailand hotels seem to be wet rooms - probably easier to maintain hygiene in such a hot climate.

There is great attention to detail, and the lush gardens are immaculately landscaped. With hindsight we would have upgraded to a lagoon access room for the convenience of jumping in the pool from the terrace. The best bit of the lagoon pool is beachside, so ask for one there when you book as other parts of the pool may be overlooked by the restaurants and footpaths. We had our pick of sunbeds no matter what time we arrived, and found it generally quiet - but not excessively so - there were a few families and couples around for atmosphere.

The hotel is right on the beach, which is also very quiet, and unlike other places I've visited, pretty free from beach vendors. There was just one guy offering pony rides, who we saw once or twice, but that was it. I wouldn't swim in the sea though, we saw a washed up jellyfish.

I agree with other reviewers about the restaurants, the food quality is excellent, but few guests stayed in for lunch and dinner, so often we dined in nearly empty restaurants. We found the prices high even by UK standards. A soft drink costs around £2 at the current exchange rate, which is the same or pricier than most places we go to in the UK. That said, the food was delicious and well presented.

You can combine a cheap dinner in town, with a trip to the night market (it's over 3 different locations) or local bars. A good cheap price for a beer is about 90-130 baht (large 640ml) or 45-70 baht for a small (330ml).

For me the hotel was perfectly located - about 15 mins from Hua Hin town centre, far enough away for peace and quiet, yet close enough to get there daily, if you want to. The hotel shuttle bus costs 100 THB (about £1.85 pp) per round trip and is charged to your room.

Overall I'd recommend this hotel wholeheartedly, if you want to chill poolside in beautiful surroundings. If you like a bit of culture you can arrange day tours - the hotel staff can help. Avoid street touts who are persistent and plentiful.

To get there from Bangkok airport you can take a public taxi - signposted in the airport, or ask the hotel to arrange one for you in advance. If you do it yourself, get the hotel name and address in Thai script for your driver - many may not understand the English directions. It took us about 2.5-3 hrs traffic permitting, and costs around 2500 baht. If you can, fly to Hua Hin airport. International flights don't land there, but there are local flights from Bangkok to Hua Hin (35 mins) with SGA air and the airport is about 5 mins drive from the hotel.

Stayed October 2008
Sydney
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2008

If you really want to do nothing but eat, sleep, swim and drink cocktails on your holiday, stay here. The staff were incredibly friendly and helpful and the accommodation is the best I've stayed in. We loved the lagoon pool and the restaurants; in particular happy hour (2 for 1) at Luna Lanai! It was a very restful and relaxing stay... the spa is beautiful, as well. Bonus: you can watch the tellie from your in-room spa bath.

• Liked — The pool, happy hour, the sizable rooms, the people
  • Disliked — The beach wasn't spectacular
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 2 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Leicester, UK
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 27, 2008

my wife and I came to hua hin after a 3 night stay in Bangkok at the Majestic Grande (see seperate review, if interested). we stayed here for 10 nights and found this hotel to be of an excellent standard, from the minute we arrived to the minute we left. we booked a lagoon view room which we found was more than adequate for our needs. We had a lovely view of the pool...which is the centre piece of the hotel. the bathroom was beautiful and had all we would need....very pleased with that !!!
we stayed on a B+B basis and found the breakfast of excellent standard..i preferred to eat the healthy fruits and yoghurts, whiilst my wife went all out for everything she could fit on her plate!!!!
the service from staff was more than exceptional and we found they could not do enough for you..we ate at the hotel a few times for lunch (if we didnt have much breakfast) and found food to be of great quality...much more expensive than in town, however, thats the price you pay, I guess...others have said about the price of food and drink in the hotel... i appreciate it is SO MUCH MORE expensive in the hotel as apposed to going into town, however, I didnt think like this when I was on holiday...i wanted convenience and it was there for me...with a smile too !!!!!
we ate a few times in the hotel in the evening too and found the restaurants to be excellent...we had the buffet a few times and loved it very much..the buffet will be done if there are enough hotel guests to cater for...if the hotel is quiet, it may be the a la carte menu, which Ididnt think was as good....
We also ate at InAzia, which we found to be very nice indeed...the price was expensive, however the food was of excellent quality and the service was excellent....
the pool was the best part of the hotel and we spent most of the day in the pool...a great way to spend most of the day....i went to hua hin for pure relaxation and that is what I got...i spent most of the time swimming and enjoying the lovely weather.
the shuttle bus does go into town quite frequently, however i was always advised it was best to book in advance as it can get quite busy..50 baht per perosn each way was a good price for me..they will drop you off and pick you up from the same spot...as many others have said, it takes approx 10 mins drive into the town centre, where you can certainly eat for a much cheaper price, however, I didnt find too many places where I was comfortable eating, so spent time in the town and also at the hotel....
we went to town when we fanceid topping up the bottles of drink or water and back again to spend time in the pool...
I love thai lulture and spent a few times roaming around the town and enjoying the day there, browsing around the many shops and stalls...the night market is good, and a bargain is always to be found....
all in all, we had a fantastic sat yand I would really recommend this hotel for pure relaxation....if you have any further questions which Ican help to answer, please send me a message or e-mail me at sants22@msn.com putting in Sheraton Hua Hin, in the subject field...
Hope you enjoy the hotel and the facilities as much as we did. Enjoy !!!!

• Liked — everything
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled as a couple
sunbury on thames
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 26, 2008

We stayed 5 nights at the Sheraton before going on to Bangkok. The hotel is not in Hua Hin but about 10 minutes drive away. The hotel is part of a very large complex which seems to encompass villas and homes. If you want to stay somewhere where you can walk into town then I would suggest the Sofitel or Marriott.
The hotel is very large and at first glance a luxurious haven. The rooms are large and are either upstairs with a balcony or downstairs some with access to the pool complex by way of a small set of stairs from the balcony.
Surprisingly the rooms are already starting to show their age. Water stains on the couch and cracks in the walls. The air con is also noisy and the beds not as great I remember in other Sheratons. However for a beach break they are fine.
We ate on the first night in the 'signature' restaurant InAzia. It was adequate and the service good. We also had breakfast included in our rate which was varied and plentiful.
What really shocked me was how quiet the resort was. If it wasn't for the large wedding party and corporate conferences the place would be empty. There was hardly anyone eating lunch or dinner. We soon realised why, as the prices in the hotel were at least 5 times higher than in town. Now I know that the hotel is going to be more expensive but the disparity was just not realistic. The lack of anyone staying in the hotel to eat made it seem like a ghost town. That and the constant irritating Muzak.
What really upset me about my stay was that the hotel did not mention anything about the beach being closed off whilst a pile driver and crane etc worked on laying what looked like huge drainage pipes. I was also not told that there would be building work on the vacant lot on the side of my block. It probaly would not have made much difference to me as the pool was great but its just the principal of the thing. What really began to hack me off was the fact that they then closed off two bits of the lagoon area to replace the wood decking. I mean try and spread the disruption out a bit and also inform the guests to pre empt the queries!
Other little things were just not up to scratch the staff tried to help but only the reception really spoke enough English to engage you. I know I don't have conversational Thai but then again if you are running a US hotel operation then you should have staff that are bi lingual. All in all I found the Sheraton promisd a lot but just was souless catering to large meetings and package tourists. They could tweak a few things and improve their customer dialogue but it would still be too large a resort for me.

• Liked — pool complex
  • Disliked — building work and the lack of any atmosphere
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Been to Sheraton Hua Hin Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!