“Pleased to report it's as good as ever” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Mermaid Restaurant

Mermaid Restaurant
819/90 Petchkasem Rd, Near the a Regent Ch Am Resort | Bang Kwai, Cha-am, Thailand
Improve this listing
Ranked #15 of 64 Restaurants in Cha-am
Cuisines: Thai
Dining options: Reservations
Description: Situated on the entrance road to the Courtyard Marriott at Cha Am Beach
Malvern
“Pleased to report it's as good as ever”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 4, 2014

What a relief to find the Mermaid still up and running when we arrived at the village of Ban Kwai, as it was previously our favourite restaurant in not just the village but the whole of Thailand, we just had to try it on the first night. I am pleased to say that it still serves first class food and gets one of my rarely awarded five stars. Wasinee, who owns the restaurant is a delightful young lady and has excellent staff who are always very helpful and we could see that she still has the same chef which explains the continued high quality of the food.
This is not a large restaurant and is not a linen napkins and champagne type restaurant, but what it does offer is superb Thai food at a very good price. If you are not a Thai food lover (can there really be such a person) then there are other options on the menu for you.

I just had to try the Prawns in garlic as a starter (you can also have it as a main course) and I am happy to report that it was as good as ever and on the first night, I actually had some King Prawns which were too good for words. I should perhaps explain, that their Prawns or shrimps as they like to call them are equal to King Prawns back in the UK so their King Prawns are enormous. The Massaman curry is superb and my wife particularly loves the chicken cashew nuts and also the chicken fried rice, both very generous portions and always hot which is not always the case in many Thai restaurants. Follow all this with one of their pancakes or a banana fritter with honey and ice cream and you think you have been to heaven.
How I wish we could transfer this restaurant back to Malvern in the UK, It wouldn't do much for my waistline, but it would make a middle aged man very happy.
Toilet and internet access for those concerned about such matters.

• Visited January 2014
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

Geneva, Switzerland
“Cheap and tasty”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2014

My family and I had two very nice and cheap dinners there during our stay at nearby Novotel. A great value, strongly recommended !

Visited January 2014
England, United Kingdom
“One of the best in the village”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2013

The Thai food in this restaurant was some of the best we had in the village - the deep fried squid was really good. The staff were very friendly and welcoming

Visited June 2013
Amphoe Muang Nonthaburi, Nonthaburi, Thailand
“Very good!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2013

My husband and I were very happy with this restaurant, we ordered chicken satay sticks with a very good satay dipping sauce,the chicken was tender,moist and very tasty. My husband had sweet and sour pork,with steamed rice,a good choice he said,he loved it. I was craving some good old fish and chips,very very good,a big piece of fish,served with french fries,small salad and tartare sauce on the side,the fish was cooked perfectly,crispy,not oily,moist,tender and delicious. The staff where very friendly,lots of smiles and very courteous. The total cost for our meal,plus two large Singha beers,a pineapple juice and a bottle of water was only, 600 baht,that's about $20 australian dollars,very well priced,and after oir meal we were served slices of beautiful watermelon,no charge. The menu had a lot of choices,between thai and western food. We will definitely be back.

• Visited May 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Uxbridge, United Kingdom
“Superb atmosphere and food”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 3, 2013

Food superb, excellent prices, staff so friendly and finish at Ruby's bar opposite. First restaurant left as you walk down street from Regent beach hotel

Visited March 2013