“Valley heaven” 4 of 5 stars

3.0 of 5 Ranch   |   Khao Sok National Park, Surat Thani, Thailand   |
Krabi Town, Thailand
“Valley heaven”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2014

It was a very good experience there at the resort. The place itself is very beautiful located just in front of the beautiful cliffs from your cottage you definitely can see those wonderful view or foggy cliff top (in the early morning after rain). Main thing you should do is laying down on sunbed relax, enjoying the view and read your favorite book! When you're relaxing at your cottage you may have a little friend dropping by it was cutie friendly dogs. or if you too bored with staying still you can go out for canoeing in canal there you can enjoy the view on your two sides along the 5 km. way.

The staffs were very friendly and at reception area you can find a nice coffee shop too!

The river side restaurant was great as well you won't disappoint with Thai food there but be careful with the spiciness because it it real local Thai food.

Will be back if there is a chance to hop around Surat Thani again.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with friends

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
  • Thai first
Houston, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2014 via mobile

After staying on Phi Phi island for 3 nights, this was quite a change in scenery. But the majestic cliffs were spectacular. The rooms were a little rustic as we expected but the beds were nice and the netting was romantic. While there we toured the park and rode elephants, twice.

The wifi was not working but in the end it was rather nice to be secluded from the virtual world. The food was good and staff was friendly. I highly recommend staying here as part of a Thailand experience. The mist over the mountains in the early morning was so sureal.

The resort staff was helpful in making all of our travel and excursion plans.

Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Amphoe Muang Phuket, Phuket, Thailand
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 9, 2014

I have been stayed here about 4years ago. And stayed in Cliff Top view room, Amenities in room thats a;right. But i loved the showeroom & toilet that seperate 2 side. and you will see the mountain view thats natural for relax...
View of room is very niceand good weather in the morning someday you will see the fog.
But the breakfast that normal only Thai Buffet and not too much, If dining in restaurant at resort for seafood / Local Thai food. that's ok.
But we go to the trip by ourselve and didn't face the problem in the room and staff.
And I'll be back in next week with family again..

Room Tip: I recommend for book Cliff View Top that's nice view, If you have a children you can book twin r...
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
Dulles, Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 8, 2013

The resort itself was very pretty and the surrounding area is gorgeous. The "cliff" part of the name is right there (in the form of a limestone karst) so when you look out your window it fills your field of vision. The area is very picturesque.

The staff were pretty nice but there were some occasional problems with the language barrier. We had a heck of a time making our booking - my email said I wanted a room for November but our room confirmation said it was for December. I tried to call them but they couldn't understand me. We had to have our first hotel in Thailand call to correct the mistake.

They were able to arrange all our excursions - don't believe any of the travel agencies that say you have to arrange everything in advance. There are a million different people that do tours of the lake, jungle treks, elephant treks, and overnights on the lake. The hotel actually had a price list for each of the possible excursions. The hotel was able to arrange elephant trekking and a tour of the lake for us.

The only big downside to this facility is that it is completely removed from all the other ones. If you stay at one of the other facilities that are grouped together, you can eat dinner wherever you want and you can walk to the local convenience store and ATM. The Cliff and River is about a 10-minute drive from any of the other ones so unless you brought a car, you will be eating every dinner at the Cliff and River. The food was decent but it would have been nice to have more choices. As it was, we had breakfast and dinner every day at the Cliff and River for four days straight.

The rooms are nice but please be aware this is not a "luxury" resort. Our bathroom and shower (two separate areas) were two separate alcoves off the main bedroom. There was a gap about 3 - 4 feet high between the walls of the shower and the roof, meaning we could wave to people walking by while showering. The A/C was also pretty weak so it could get incredibly hot in the room during the day. And the water in the shower never really got hot and could only be considered warm for about the first five minutes.

We didn't see any monkeys, but at night insects the size of prehistoric monsters flew and crawled into the room. One night a cockroach nearly as big as my hand got in the room. I tried to convince a praying mantis (the size of my foot) to eat it but she refused. You will definitely need to use the mosquito net.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Brisbane
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 29, 2013

I did not come here expecting a 5 star experience but to be close to nature in beautiful scenery and that's what I got, couldn't be in a better location! So beautiful. Our room was rustic but quite romantic if you aren't expecting the hilton standards! The water temperature was not hot at all but I loved the outdoor shower and toilet! But really what is the point of a tv if it doesn't have reception? The food was amazing, best Thai I have ever had. Bkfast was a bit disappointing with not much variety and it doesn't change... Overall I would recommend though, it has an overall romantic rustic feeling that I enjoyed

Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Singapore, Singapore
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2013

The resort is exactly what its name says. It is situated in the jungle, facing limestone cliff and the restaurant overlooks a river. Beautiful!
I spent 3 nights here and was quite happy with the stay. Love the views from the balcony. The pool is small but adequate.
I stayed in September which was supposed to be the rainy season but none of my outdoor day activities was affected as the rain is usually comes in the evening or at night. Highly recommend staying in the low season as there are few guests around which makes it very peaceful and I often have the entire pool to myself.
Staff are friendly and the restaurant serves good authentic Thai food.
One thing I didn't enjoy is the outdoor shower and toilet as there's a lot of insects and lizards.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2013

I was so looking forward to our stay there but was totally disappointed when we got there. It must have been very nice once but the grounds and rooms were poorly maintained. The rooms were musty, air conditioning did not work well and you could smell sewage from outside. The only upside was the staff who checked us in, they were helpful and friendly. We will not be going back there again.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends

Been to The Cliff & River Jungle Resort? Share your experiences!