“Jewel of Chonburi” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #10 of 36 Hotels in Chonburi
Edinburgh
“Jewel of Chonburi”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 29, 2006

We stayed for two weeks at this hotel in Chonburi and were pleasantly surprised. We opted to pay the extra to upgrade to the Deluxe room and we are glad we did. If you stay on the lower floors in the hotel, your view will be very limited and mostly of corrugated iron! On our movement to the top floor, we were really impressed by how far (and how much more) we could see! Free coffee and fruit are provided for guests on the top floor and if you drink coffee like we do, it's worth upgrading as you would spend more buying the drinks downstairs.

Breakfast in the Mercure is average, it has a good choice but they seem to put everything out at once and when it is gone, it's gone! I often found myself going down to breakfast at 8.30am to find there was no bread or bakery products left.

They have two restuarants inside the hotel, the Chinese restaurant is highly recommended. I didn't appreciate the Terrace as much. We had a good range of the food whilst we were there due to the lack of decent eating places in the surrounding area and we worked out that if you left eating until later, your meal seemed to be less inviting. We often had room service at lunchtime and it was often cold, sadly.

Whilst we were there, they were making a garden room on the third floor which looks lovely, it's a shame the sun doesn't hit it, but it's nice to sit out there and watch the world go by.

The staff are all very pleasant and friendly. I thought the housekeeping staff did brilliantly, they really did well to tidy up for us every day. Sometimes they ignore the DND signs and knock asking if you would like the room cleaned which is a little annoying if you want a mid-afternoon nap but mostly I found the staff to be obliging in everything you ask for!

Do not miss the chocolate cake (or any cake for that matter) when you are at this hotel, it is to die for!

All in all, I can't really complain about this hotel, it was comfortable, clean and inviting. If I went to Chonburi again (which is doubtful as there is nothing of interest nearby) then I would definitely stay here.

• Liked — Coffee machine on Deluxe floor was heavenly - best coffee ever
  • Disliked — The lift music - it made me suicidal!
  • Tips/Secrets — Upgrade to deluxe - it's worth it for a couple of pounds!
  • Stayed November 2006, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Families
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2006

As this is my first stay in the Mercure Chon Buri, my first instinct is to compare it with all the other Mercure hotels in Europe that I have stayed and what a difference it was.

The first was that this hotel is rated 3 stars which I compared to the european ones in which I must say was alright, but this hotel stands out becauce the rooms was tastefully furnished, yet not luxurious and it's staff are extremely polite/efficient.

This hotel is centrally located in Chonburi's city centre and yet away from the usual tourist spots like Bangsaen and Pattaya, but I wanted
to stay away from the usual tourist areas, so I tried this hotel because of it's location and since I need to stay connected to the internet because it is one of the few hotels that offers high speed connection from the room, I was not dissapointed.

The reception was very polite and efficient as their main clients are Thai families on weekend or bussinessman on weekdays, the rooms is very good for a 3 star rating with good airconditioning and minibar in all the rooms, but the highest praise must go to the hotel staff from the receptionist to the housekeeper who was at all times polite and efficient during my 11 day stay.
I won't hesitate in recommanding this hotel as I am quite a fussy
client in which I normally hand out more criticism that praise.

I would like to hear some feedback from this hotel if anybody stayed there so I can decide on whether the quality was maintained.

• Liked — Very good airconditioning
  • Disliked — Hot waters in the shower
  • Tips/Secrets — Not for anyone who wants to be close to a tourist attraction
  • Stayed July 2006, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Mercure Hotel Chonburi? Share your experiences!