“Romantic and great service with a smile” 5 of 5 stars

Special Offer
3 day packages
Ranked #1 of 60 Hotels in Khao Lak
Sydney, Australia
“Romantic and great service with a smile”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2010

Wow what a wonderful resort. The staff were excellent and very friendly. Nothing was ever too much trouble and they catered to all your needs.

It is a really romantic hotel with lots of honeymooners. Even though we were there at the beginning of low season, occupancy was still at nearly 100%. It didn’t seem crowded though, unless you were at the beach or the pool you very rarely saw anyone.

When we arrived we had booked a Pool residence, but were upgraded to a Sarojin Suite. Wow, huge and beautiful, it didn’t have a pool, but a stone relaxation spa bath on the balcony.

Breakfast was to die for. A la carte as opposed to the usual buffet. The choices were amazing and you can have sparkling wine or fresh juices (or both) with your breaky!!

Complimentary mountain bikes for your use, with maps and water provided. When we got back from our very hot ride, we were met with cold towels and cold water.

Free WiFi is provided to all guest residences, and you could use their laptops in the library for free. The library has books, DVD’s and CD’s that you can borrow.

The reason I picked this resort was because I fell in love with the pool in the brochures. It is magnificent. The individual lounges and the private, over the water salas, were fantastic. The service around the pool was second to none. The minute you sat down, the pool attendant brought you a glass of ice cold water, and continued to top it up the whole time you sat there, along with complimentary juice and fruit. My one complaint was that the water in the pool was too hot. It was really disappointing to sit there looking at the gorgeous pool, then going for a swim to cool down, only to find the water was probably 32-33 degrees :( The water in the rain shower next to the pool was much cooler and I noticed many people using that rather than swimming.

The beach was lovely and again the service was excellent. Non motorized water sport was included, but the sea was a little rough for us to try it.

The hotel provides a free shuttle service into Khao Lak town approx. 6 times a day. This was fantastic, we went in for dinner and stocked up on drinks and nibbles from the local supermarket. Much cheaper than the hotel.

Unfortunately many businesses close for the low season, so it was a little quiet. All the beach restaurants around the Sarojin were closed (apparently they close in the first week of May) same in the town of Khao Lak. Although we found it easier to bargain in the shops as they weren’t getting as much business. We paid similar prices to Patong.

I think the defining difference in this resort, to any others, is the staff. They are friendly, respectful, helpful and always smiling. The last image I have of the Sarojin is driving away on the way to the airport with 3 staff members waving us off :)

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (203)
London
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2010

We spent 9 days at The Sarojin in April with one aim in mind - relaxation - and this aim was well and truly met. The hotel staff go out of their way to pamper and spoil you and it is all done with smiles, genuine kindness and warmth.

The hotel grounds are stunning with the most amazing pond full of brightly coloured water lillies the first thing you see on arrival, really takes your breath away. The long beach is beautiful and perfect for an early evening/sunset walk - we were often the only people on the beach and you can go for a fair trek on soft white sand passing local fishing boats and very little else, heaven!

The activities are fairly expensive as other people have commented but you are paying for the 'Sarojin' touch which is well worth a bit extra. Chilled water, cold towels, incredible food, personal and tailormade trips with comfortable transport and friendly and informative staff - well worth it really.

The complimentary shuttle bus into Khao Lak is a nice touch, we went out for dinner twice and it was nice to soak up a bit of the local atmosphere and culture. It is not a hugely lively place - perfect for some delicious (cheap) food and souvenier shopping -but this was just enough for us.

Yes there are little things you could comment on here and there but nothing important enough to distract from a truly re-invigorating and memorable holiday. It is mostly honeymoon couples so people do tend to keep themselves to themselves a bit - again nothing wrong with this from our perspective.

Basically...If you like the sound of lying by a stunning pool and being served with iced water, fruit juices and watermelon all day long - reading books, sleeping lots, eating outstanding Thai food, doing the odd walk on a beautiful sandy beach, swimming in the bathwater warm/clear turquoise sea, having a massage or facial every now and then, soaking up the sun, early nights, bath tubs for two, staff falling over themselves to help you and look after you...then The Sarojin is the place for you - enjoy - we did!

• Stayed April 2010, traveled as a couple
UK
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 6, 2010

We went to the Sarojiin as part of our Honeymoon and having stayed in a number of top end Thai resorts I have to say that I found the whole experience at the Sarojiin a little contrived and lacking in atmosphere. I have seen Mr Kemp challenge a number of respondants on this front claiming that it is quiet and peaceful by design - which I agree with - however this has been achieved at the cost of atmosphere which is the essential element which glues a resort together. So don't get me wrong - it has all the elements - the nice pool, nice sun loungers, private beach, good food and the private speed boat - however it just feels like boxes are being ticked and I couldn't tell you what was unique about the place - it is almost too clincal leaving you feeling a little cold. This is the reason I have scored this with an average rating as for me exceptional ratings should be reserved for resorts which leave you with a feeling that you may never be lucky enough to see / experience them again.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled as a couple
Manchester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 4, 2010

Myself and my wife stayed at The Sarojin for eight nights whilst on our Honeymoon in Thailand, this was the third five star hotel we stayed in.

Transfer
We were picked up from the Evason Phuket at the agreed time for the private transfer which took just over a hour. Ok, so the vehicle isn’t a Mercedes, or other top end make, but it’s clean and leather clad, with pillows, blankets, multiple CDs and beverages and towels. I read on here somebody complaining that the cold drinks were stored in a cool box they use for a picnic – I’m unsure of many vehicles that have a full electric fridge! It’s suitable and appropriate for the task at hand, isn’t ‘cheap’ in any way and really the only option! Transfer was simple, straight forward and comfortable.

Check-In
Didn’t take long, efficient and friendly – simply fill in a form, chat about the trip so far and order some food so as not to be waiting for thirty minutes in the room. Then off to the Garden Residence, food arrived within twenty minutes.

Room
Clean, tidy, spacious, private pool and two sun loungers, plus two loungers in your own private Sala. The pool, as stated in the brochure is 4.5x3.5M and in no way sufficient in size for swimming in – hence the term ‘plunge pool’! Have a plunge, bob around, have a drink, cool off from the hot sunshine and then get out and drip dry while listening to some music – simples. Being 6’1” the pool is too small to swim in – fact – not a criticism.
Either of the two showers is excellent, take your pick depending on your mood, or have a bath for two. Only downside is the toilet cubicle only has one side on, which is by design to give you a view of the dry rock garden. Not the most private, but if you’re a couple, which is more than likely the case at this hotel then it shouldn’t be too much of a worry. You can’t see into the toilet, unless you walk around into the rock garden.

Spa
Relaxing, helpful, friendly, an amazing experience. Ok, so more expensive than the local spa, but what do you expect for a 5* hotel – well worth the money. Myself and my wife had a number of individual and joint treatments during our stay. We got a complimentary thirty minute massage, which we upgraded to a more comprehensive session.

Breakfast
Excellent, order one, two, three, even four dishes, all well priced and collectively cheaper than the all you can eat breakfast at most hotels for £20. Let’s face it, who think that’s good value? The food is superb, well presented, efficient service, always with a smile. All the staff seem to know what you’ve been, what hotel trips you’ve been on and where you’ve been travelling and ask about it. I’m sure they all have appropriate briefings at shift handover to provide feedback, but it adds to the personal touch.

Evening Meal
Ate in the hotel a number of times, food and service were always excellent, great quality and presentation. We’ve eaten at top restaurants in London and the food at The Sarojin is every bit as good, and probably with less pretense and ceremony. We ate outside a few nights and typically got eaten by the mosquitoes – even with spray/cream on and the Coil burning. Obviously the hotel cannot be accountable for insects outside in a garden – you’re in Thailand, get used to it!
Had a private meal on the beach also, I have to say very good for a BBQ, however way more food that is required for two people, but at least you get to sample a good variation of foods and styles. Private waiter as well for the duration, who is polite, friendly and nothing is too much trouble for him.

As a honeymoon couple we weren’t too concerned about a busy bar, or great nightlife, but I’m sure many people might be. If that’s the case then Khao Lak isn’t for you, never mind The Sarojin. The night time at the hotel are quiet and peaceful, that would be a positive for many travelers, including myself. If you Want a lively place stay in Phuket.

Excursions
They are not cheap, however worth the money! We did sample a local ‘deluxe’ boat trip to James Bond Island from a local supplier – worst boat trip on any holiday ever! The Sarojin trip to James Bond Island was fantastic, seven guests on the boat, great beach location for lunch on the boat and snorkeling at a great location. It hammered it down with rain on the way back to the hotel, bumpy ride with water streaming through the rope ringlets that hold the canvas roof in place – but so what? Like the hotel can do anything about the weather or the water spray. Great trip, but if you are on a budget you probably won’t be going!

Positive
Great for honeymooners, peaceful, quiet, excellent food, no children running around, great service (they even move off the path and get out of the way when you are walking past), great trips.

Negative
A little lack of professionalism from ‘Tiger’, one of the guys who takes guests out of the boat. He was doing well for most of the day we were out of the boat with him until the inappropriate laughing and joining about the sexuality of the ‘Imagineer’ with hotel guests!! I appreciate that he’ trained in gauging each party he takes out, however in this case not appropriate.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple
northwest
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 2, 2010

I had read a lot of reviews on tripadvisor about the sarojin but was not prepared for how beautiful and peaceful the hotel's grounds were. I note the comments about the beach being disappointing but I thought it charmingly undeveloped and peaceful, but maybe because of the time of the year.

we really enjoyed our stay, found it very relaxing. as it was the end of the season, the sarojin were doing an offer where you got an additional number of nights free for the number of nights booked, essentially making it half price. we had a garden residence but had tried to book a pool residence but they were all fully booked. I was pleased with our room, I think I would have bn disappointed by the pool residences, having stayed at the pavilions, phuket, last year, because of the size of the pool and lack of privacy.

i thought the food at the thai restaurant was delicious in lovely setting and not that unreasonably priced given it was a 5 star hotel. I was less convinced by the hotel's other restaurant, ficus, where we ate on two nights. my pasta was overcooked one night but on the other hand mixed seafood grill was fantastic. I may be slightly unfair, but the food was not as 'perfect' as one would get in a 5 star hotel in Bangkok.

the service at the hotel was impeccable. it was my birthday and the staff arranged for a complimentary breakfast to be delivered to our room.

i really enjoyed our stay and would return.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled as a couple
Dublin, Ireland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2010

Myself and my wife spent 7 days at the Sarojin. The hotel was really sold to us by the agent at trailfinders. It also received a glowing review from the No Frontiers travel program on RTE.
We had spent 5 days previously at the Banyan Tree in Phuket. While the Banyan tree is not the perfection I was expecting for the money spent we did have a great time all the same. I was a little apprehensive as to what the Sarojin would be like.. would we be regretting the decision to move on from the Banyan Tree, should we have stayed in Phuket etc.
I need not have worried. It turned out to be a great decision. We really didn’t want to leave the Sarojin after our 7 day stay there.
I can only say if you can only visit one 5 star hotel in Thailand in your lifetime visit the Sarojin.
If you are stuck for ideas as to where you can go on honeymoon , visit the Sarojin.

The food is top notch , I never thought I would say ( and I love thai food ) that the best burger I ever had was in Thailand. It was. Sitting in one of the Salas beside the Sarojin’s pool drinking a cold Singha beer. Heaven!
The breakfast buffet at the banyan tree was great. Especially in terms of the quantities and the variety. In terms of food quality the Sarojin is superlative to the Banyan tree and in fact any hotel I have been to in Europe. Their chefs are great ( i probably would do a cookery lesson if I ever go back! )
There are no children at the Sarojin, I’m not sure whether thats a result of policy but this was a plus factor from the perspective of being on honeymoon. The clientele seemed to be quite different to that at the Banyan tree. Perhaps they seemed more sophisticated or educated at the Sarojin, definitely more guests from western Europe ( guests from Ireland, UK, Germany, France, Spain ) and Australia. Banyan Tree seemed to have a very noticeable amount of wealthy Russian dudes in their 50’s hanging out with Russian girls old enough to be their daughters. I consider myself to be young and open minded but when you are paying good money for a hotel on your honeymoon you want everything to be perfect.
In summary whilst the Banyan tree was good. The Sarojin was perfect.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled as a couple
london
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2010

Stayed for 10 days with my fiancee in a room with an outside pool. Magnificient rooms, with stunnig and funny bathrroms that looks and feel like a jungle.

Everything was perfect, service is exquisite, food is delicious, there are plenty of activities and the Pool and spa are just stunning. The bedstands by the pool are just as good as at he setai. Only the beach is disappointing but we knew it from the reviews.

Like us the guests are mostly couple coming for a romantic break.

An excellent stay from start to finish.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple

Been to The Sarojin? Share your experiences!