“A little piece of heaven on earth” 5 of 5 stars

Offers & Announcements
Book Direct Now & Save
Ranked #3 of 61 Hotels in Khao Lak
New York City, New York
“A little piece of heaven on earth”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2010

The Sarojin is a little piece of heaven on earth. This boutique hotel is stunningly gorgeous, the food is mouth wateringly delicious and the service is impeccable – it is perfect for romantic getaways or in our case for a wedding and honeymoon! It is undoubtedly one of the most romantic boutique hotels in the world. It is a classy hotel without being pretentious.

WEDDING;
Our wedding was relatively hassle free because the staff at the Sarojin was on the ball, working diligently to turn our wedding into a stunning, intimate and thoroughly memorable experience
a) HAIR AND MAKEUP. The Sarojin arranged to have my hair and makeup done by a third party salon that was situated in the town. Whilst the salon was good I would suggest that you walk with the photos of your desired hairstyle (as recommended by the Sarojin) and bring your own makeup (to ensure that the makeup matches your skintone). Also, do a dry run before your wedding day...the extra fee is well worth the peace of mind.
b) CEREMONY, DECORATIONS, BOUQUET AND MUSIC: Everything was arranged seamlessly by The Sarojin......we simply gave our input and they did the rest. A special thank you to the housekeeping team that really worked hard to make a gorgeous cake, beautiful decorations and a stunning wedding bouquet of calla lilies and roses!

SERVICE:
The Service at this hotel is impeccable as previously mentioned. The staff members are genuine and friendly without crossing the professional line. They work very hard to ensure that your expectations are not only met but exceeded. I’m pretty sure most people would agree that the hospitality industry is a tough one given that you’re dealing with people but the staff at The Sarojin make it seem easy. What really separates this hotel from another gorgeous hotel are the staff and the attention that is paid to the finishing details. There are of course many behind the scenes that we did not meet but a few that provided excellent service worth mentioning are Jib, Taew, Noo, Tik, Tom, Mook, Sofeya, Jeff, Toy, Nick and Paul (Thank You).

FOOD:
There are 2 restaurants at the Sarojin, The Edge (Thai food) and The Ficus (Mediterranean & Western food). Whilst prices are high (average meal is approx 1300 Bht without alcohol or appetizers) you get what you pay for. You get some incredibly tasty, flavourful and beautifully presented meals that will leave you wanting more. In the 8 days that we were there we never ate outside the hotel because we enjoyed the food at the hotel.

I would suggest getting a package that includes breakfast....it is definitely a highlight. Breakfast is served a la carte (you can order as much as heart desires) instead of the usual buffet fare. This adds a classy touch to breakfast. The breakfast menu is extensive and very creative........fresh juices of every kind, banana pancakes, vanilla waffles, Thai omelettes with Chili, scrambled eggs with truffle oil and coconut yogurt were just a few of the favourites.

ROOMS:
We stayed in a Sarojin Suite (one of 14 on the property) and it was gorgeous. See attached photos. Complimentary water is given every day, in addition to complimentary homemade snacks (taro chips, sweet potato chips etc). The rooms are thoroughly cleaned and made up twice per day. It is also worth mentioning that the bathroom products are worthy of being used in a top class spa, you have a pillow menu to choose from, there is free wireless in the room and there is a cable tv in the room (although in paradise you don’t need it).

ACTIVITIES:
We chose to embark on a variety of activities – some through the hotel and others through 3rd party vendors.
a) COOKING CLASS- We had private cooking lessons with the Sarojin chefs which was so much fun (even though my hubby was initially a wee bit reluctant he thoroughly enjoyed himself). It starts off with a visit to a local market to learn more about the produce and then you are whisked back to the hotel to start cooking. The class also entails 2 glasses of wine per person which certainly helped to loosen up the hubby. Ultimately he turned out to be the better Thai cook...so hats off to him.
b) Scuba Diving at the Similan Islands, Elephant Trekking, Phang Nga Bay (aka James Bond Island). Although the hotel offers these excursions we chose to make arrangements with outside vendors directly, all of which were a fraction of the price offered through the hotel. Although to be fair you trade convenience, luxury and personal service for the reduced price.
c) SPA- I loved the spa at The Sarojin. Lush surroundings, faultless service and a wide variety of treatments to chose from. The therapists are highly skilled- each stroke is deliberate, every whiff of ylanag ylang oil serves to heighten the relaxation experience and the finishing touches (having your hair combed and braided) leaves you wanting more.
In summary we had an amazing wedding and honeymoon much of which was due to luxurious surroundings, exceptional food and the hard work of the Sarojin staff. We highly recommend you experience it for yourself...you won’t be disappointed.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (255)
  • Hebrew first
London
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2010

Having just returned from a small tour of Thailand staying in 3 more high profile 5* hotels along the way this was by far our favourite (interestingly also the best value for money) and we would have no hesitation in returning and recommending it to others.

Location - The long stretch of beach that the Sarojin is situated on is very beautiful and unspoilt, there are a few hotels/beach hut complexes along it but all are very discreetly set back. There really is hardly anyone on the beach. I have noticed a complaint about the resort next door to the Sarojin (the White Sands I believe) however I fail to see how that could bother anybody as the beach is so large and the people seemed perfectly nice to me. It is also great to have somewhere within minutes walk to go and have a very cheap lunch in your swimsuit. There is also a great beach fish cafe next door. The area of Khao Lak is also great for excursions. We immediately felt on arrival that we just did not allow ourselves enough time to explore this beautiful area of Thailand.

Food - we found the food at the Sarojin to be the best we had in all of our hotels. They have 2 restaurants 'Ficus' (offering international menu) which is around the beautiful lily pond and 'The Edge' (Thai) which is contemporary beach hut style. What is wonderful is that you can order from both menus at each restaurant. The service is wonderful (I will come on the great staff later!) and the settings sublime. The food was extremely reasonably priced for a 5* hotel and this meant that during our 6 nights stay there we did not feel uncomfortable eating there every night and we could enjoy the beautiful surroundings. Wine is good but on the expensive side, but it is throughout Thailand. We booked the Thai evening on our first night at the hotel and it was wonderful. The Thai dancing with band was beautiful and the staff made a real effort decorating the Thai buffet (much of it cooked fresh in front of you) in a very natural style. Well recommended to do once. Cocktails are wonderful and once again reasonably priced. If I had known the price of them at our next hotel I would have had more!

Rooms - very contemporary and beautifully kept with delightful surprises left on our beds frequently. We had a suite with balcony and plunge pool. You should be warned that the bathrooms are open plan, there is however a frosted glass door to the bathroom and we also had a separate wc in the living area.

Spa - as part of our package we had a 4 hour treatment in the Spa. It was absolutely wonderful and if I had time I would have spent another half day in there. For a 5* hotel the spa prices were extremely good value. It is very pretty and the spa ladies were lovely.

Trips - we did two trips whilst there, firstly the so called 'Little Amazon" in pleat boats combined with an elephant trek. The Takuapa river trip was beautiful, with wonderful Banyan trees. The elephant trip not for those that get car sick! Our wonderful guide Jack was very informative, taking us along the way to the cashew nut factory (I will now appreciate them more) and also to a local market which was fascinating and we were the only tourists there. For our second trip we treated ourselves to a one day snorkelling trip on the hotel boat to the Similan Islands. Once again we were lucky to have Jack as our snorkelling guide and he was informative about the fish we saw. We had a lovely group of guests with us and it was a very memorable day.

Staff - the staff make this hotel. They are very genuine and do not appear to 'try to hard' which we are always uncomfortable with. They all appear to love their hotel and t heir job. We enjoyed our encounters with the staff, they are all characters and their cheerful greetings lifted our souls!

• Stayed March 2010, traveled with family
Manchester
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 3, 2010

What a fabulous place. I could stop there.
From our wonderful reception at the airport and our air-conditioned airport transfer with an ice cold beer, the service was wonderful. The staff cannot do more for you, they are all so charming and, contrary to other reviews, very easy to understand.
Rooms are amazing: the bathrooms are better than anything else you will find - so innovative yet totally functional, teh beds are very comfortable. we had a pool villa and the private pool is such a luxury.
The beach is beautiful, so long and unspoilt, we walked for over 2.5 hours and saw only 2 or 3 other hotels and a few local bars.
Food is wonderful, though you can get much better value down the beach in the charming beach restaurants and bars and even in Khao Lak, which is a great local town. Free hotel shuttle drops you in and out if you want a change of scenery.
Do come, you wil not be disappointed.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled as a couple
New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2010

My wife and I spent 10 magnificent days at the Sarojin in October 2009. (Pardon the late review). The Sarojin is a luxury boutique hotel with understated elegance and impeccable, unobtrusive service. While one cannot deny its beautiful lush surroundings (and that stunningly beautiful pool) and lovely beachfront, the staff and management of the Sarojin are the key factors that make this hotel outstanding.

We booked quite a few excursions with the hotel. In each of these activities, the staff and or management made sure that every detail of the excursion was followed to our liking. And just in general, everyone went out of their way to provide the best service - with a warm smile every single time. I was also very impressed with how they took care of their guests. My wife got sick on our second day at the hotel. They had a doctor in our room within an hour of my request for a doctor. Thereafter, everyone from staff to management never failed to check on my wife's well-being.

I would recommend to everyone to try the hotel's restaurants. They are both excellent. I would also recommend trying at least one or two excursions offered by the hotel. We went to many of them, while they were all fun, the standouts were (not in any order): Thai cooking lessons by the waterfall, tour of James Bond Island on the Lady Sarojin, white water rafting and the ATV jungle tour. Again, while these excursions were fun on their own merit, the staff made them special.

My wife and I have had many great and memorable vacations in different countries. However, my wife and I agree that this one was just as great, if not better, than our honeymoon in French Polynesia. This was quite fitting. After all, the reason for our vacation at the Sarojin was to celebrate our 15th anniversary.

Many thanks to the staff and management of the Sarojin. You are second to none.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled as a couple
Kent, UK
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 21, 2010

My partner and I have just returned from a 2 week holiday in Khao Lak. We wanted to stay at the Sarojin but unfortunately the hotel was fully booked. We stayed at Le Meridien instead which is literally around the headland. This review relates to one of the Sarojin's restaurants.

Towards the end of the holiday we decided to visit the Sarojin with a view to making a reservation for dinner there. From the moment we arrived until we came to leave we were treated like royalty. On arrival we were given complimentary chilled sparkling juice with cold towels. We were then given a guided tour of the hotel and shown both of the hotel's restaurants. We were given a second complimentary drink and cold towels at the end. We were so impressed with the service, how friendly and attentive the staff were and how welcome we were made to feel that we decided to return for dinner that night at the Edge. The hotel describes this restaurant as 'breezy, rustic and chic' which is very apt. We were allocated a table right on the beach with an amazing sea view. The Edge has a very extensive menu and an impressive and excellent wine list. Wine is offered by the glass and by the bottle and was very reasonably priced compared to our own and other hotels in the area. This really was fine dining at it's best. The food was out of this world. The service was truly exceptional. It was by far our best meal in Khao Lak. Our 3 course meal with a bottle of fizz was approx £60 - expensive for Khao Lak but not for a 6 star hotel with service to match. My partner and I cannot praise the Sarojin enough for a very special night. When it came to leave I really wanted to ask to see the manager to thank him/her for such a wonderful evening but in the end I asked the staff on reception to pass on my comments. I cannot recommend the restaurant more highly and would return tomorrow if I could !! If anyone from management happens to read this review I would love to know whether there is a UK supplier for Cockatoo Ridge Brut Cuvee (the Aussie bottle of fizz we had that night !).

• Stayed February 2010, traveled as a couple
AJHK, Owner and Executive Director at The Sarojin, responded to this review, March 1, 2010
Thank you for your feedback and review.

We are sorry that you were unable to stay at The Sarojin on this occasion but very much hope that we will be able to welcome you back as a guest one day soon.

We have contacted the cockatoo ridge wine supplier directly and I am sorry to report that at this time they do not have a distributor in the UK.
Stratford on Avon
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2010

Having stayed in many top class hotels in Thailand, this promised to outclass them all. Sadly it was let down on 2 counts - firstly the location - outside an extremely unattractive village with nothing to recommend it at all. Secondly, althought the beach is on a seven mile stretch of pristine beach they omit to tell you that all the Sarojin's sunloungers are squashed together in a very small area and next to beach hut type accomodation where their residents played insistent music and ogled the Sarojin residents as they walked past to go down the beach!
The food was very good in the hotel, but the service was hit and miss, not helped by the fact that most of the staff did not speak or understand English which lead to some frustrating moments when the wrong food or drink was delivered. The Garden suite we had was very pleasant although the toilet arrangements are not for the faint hearted as there are only 3 walls! On the pus side the grounds of the hotel were absoutely beautiful and kept immaculately. The trips the hotel offered were hugely expensive and you could find pretty much the same tripswith other companies easily. Such a shame this hotel did not quite come up to scratch and they have a way to go to improve things. Spa disappointing too.

• Stayed January 2010
London, England
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 13, 2010

Fantastic hotel with top class service. We arrived fairly late in the evening but the staff welcomed us with a lovely cocktail & flowers before escorting us to our room. Our garden villa was very spacious (large open plan bathroom with 2 showers & a free standing bath) and modern with some great personal touches - scented candle, bespoke bath & shower lotions, silk robes, fresh fruit & rolls daily, complimentary bottled water and orchids on the pillow nightly. It was my husband's birthday the day after we arrived and that evening in the restaurant he was serenaded with 'Happy Birthday' & presented with flowers & a chocolate cake (much to his embarrassment!). We hadn't told the hotel it was his birthday so thought it was really thoughtful for them have noted the date.
The hotel provides bikes for guests & give out a map & much needed bottled water when you set off for a ride. We arranged a dive trip through the hotel which did save us from having to trawl local dive centres and it was very well organised with door to door transport. Although the Sarojin is rather isolated (there are a couple of beach restaurants nearby) the hotel do provide a regular free bus into Khao Lak which we did take advantage of during our stay.
Excellent service from the staff both in the hotel, at the pool & on the beach and would certainly recommend the Sarojin to anyone wanting a relaxed and luxurious holiday.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled as a couple

Been to The Sarojin? Share your experiences!