“Perfect beach ” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #40 of 60 hotels in Khao Lak
A TripAdvisor Member
“Perfect beach ”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2014

Stayed here for 1 week. After a little trouble the first day with the a/c in our room rest of the week went perfect. It's a small complex, with nice gardens and sorroundings. Room was a bit worn down, but it was large and lots of space. And you don't spend your day in the room, so for that it was fine. Very nice pool area just at the lovely Sunset beach. With hotel sun beds on the beach under Palm trees. The beach is wide and very good, the best beach in khao lak we believe. Staff is friendly and want to help, and if you give them a smile and appreciate their effort they always smile. Placed on the south and quieter end of khao lak, but only 6 minutes walk to center. A good hotel if you don't like to many people around you and a closer contact with the staff. And off course perfect beach and breath taking sun sets from your sun bed with a cocktail from the bar.. We would go there again because of the atmosphere and the beach. In fact we regretted moving to another hotel after the first week, and will not do that next time, but stay here for 2 weeks.

Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple

72 people have reviewed this hotel

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
Perth, Australia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 8, 2014

My experience with this hotel was mostly positive for the first few days but completely ruined at the end. The resort is very close to all the restaurants on the quieter side of the town. It is a great advantage to have a pool right next to the ocean. So it was fun for me to swim in the ocean and then get refreshed in the pool. The garden was well maintained and the room was ok. The bed was large and comfortable but the aircon was loud, the water pressure for the shower was weak, and there were many mosquitoes inside the room. I'd have given a rating of 4 for this hotel until the last day. After we checked out, we rested in the hotel for a few hours before our flight. The manager in the hotel restaurant was extremely rude and charged us 2000 baht as my parents who stayed in a different resort was resting with us on the beach. It was a ambiguous situation, as we also spent quite sometime in my parents' hotel and used their resources which we'd have used here. I also suspected them being racist as we were the only Asian-looking people who got checked on the beach. I was left with a 'cold feeling' in the end. For this reason, I can only give it a '1' and will not recommend this hotel to my friends. A few more words about the restaurant manager: she was probably more competent in English compared to other staff but she was also the one who was arrogant and rude. We heard her scolding other staff loudly next to the pool in front of all the guests the other day. She was also the one who ruined our good feelings about this resort.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
Northampton, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2013

Lovely quite hotel, right on the beach where you are not bothered by hawkers, (the way you can be on other Thai beaches, maybe this is different in high season). Nice pool overlooking the beach, plenty of 'unreserved' sun beds by the pool and beach. Friendly, courteous staff, the gardens and surrounding area beautifully managed. I had a problem with the hairdryer in the room, I reported it to reception on my way out one evening, I'd had a replacement one fitted by the time I came back. Only a few minutes walk from shops,bars and restaurants. We used Tripadvisor recommendations to find the best local restaurants, so we were never disappointed with our choice. I would recommend this hotel to families with very young children and couples looking for a quite getaway.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
patrick60
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2013

We have just spent 8 nights here in one of the Cottages. First impression the reception is very basic, the staff were not overly welcoming and didn't speak much English. There were lots of does and donts notes which was a bit off putting to start but probably done to cover themselves maybe for all their losses. They have a coffee maker and no kettle which is not good if you want tea. The first 3 morning s breakfast buffet was served on the beach which was beautiful but after that was over to a larger area which was a shame but the breakfast was good and the food very fresh, only small amounts put out at a time. Good coffee served from a machine, and the usual egg station.
The great thing about this hotel was nobody put towels on the bed to reserve them so any time of the day you could get a lounger by the pool or beach, it would be great if other hotels could adopt this as it makes the atmosphere so much better.
Staff were the most attentive we have experienced in Thailand. Plenty of places to eat and drink within a few minutes walk from hotel. For a quite peaceful releaxing place on the beach I would recommend this hotel.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
Bordeaux, France
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 4, 2013

we've booked this hotel directly and it is not the right thing to do. you have to pay all before the arrival and the only way to do it is to give you credit card details by phone or email (I don't like it at all in any country) or to send a bank payment. they don't have any modern way of payment as paypal or credit card payment through their website !! so I have sent a bank payment with Rational FX website (I don't recommend it too) and there was a problem : the money I've sent to Rational fx did not gone to the hotel owner account (personal account !!!). the last day of the holidays, I was informed by the manager of the hotel that the payment has not gone to the account !! I've trid to discaver why (very hard with 6 hours of jetlag between europe and thailand). when i was at the hotel desk, suddenly an arrogant person (the owner) told me that he don't have anything to hear about the payment problem and if I don't pay, I willn note leave. I wa very angry as the payment has left my account !! I don't have to pay twice !! but with 2 child, I have paid and left the hotel (I solved the problem when I was back in europe and get the money back from the bank). So I will not recommend at all this hotel because of its boss !!!
Anyway, the hotel is quite good but not very cheap for Thailand.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
busaba17, Manager at Baan Khaolak Resort, responded to this review, July 15, 2013
Thanks for the guest comment, but we like to confirm that the resort had never got money transfer from his bank. And the guest admitted he finally got the money back at home. Our policy advises client to recheck regarding payment, so that we can send him acknowledgement before arrival. Any way, the resort asked for payment at the end of his stay again, and he did not care still to check on his side, and settle things with us. We are very sorry to state that this is indeed very unfair comment, and suggests guest should well communicate with us regarding the bank money transfer prior to his trip.

Busaba Patanawiroj (Ms.)
Resident Manager
Baan Khaolak Beach Resort
Sydney
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2013

A peaceful and beautiful resort with wonderful and friendly staff members. The restaurant has a variety of delicious thai dishes. Service was great and the pricing is quite reasonable. Perfect for soul searching or a romantic getaway.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
Zurich, Switzerland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2013

I have been staying at Baan Khaolak Resort every year since the year 2000.
After the terrible disaster of the Tsunami in 2004 the resort has been reconstructed and reopened in November 2006. It's since then even better than ever!
Although it figures as a 3* resort, the rooms are at least 4*, well equipped and well maintained.
The garden is wonderful with all the plants and flowers and the beach is nice and clean.
But what makes the difference to other nice resorts in Thailand is the staff! All of the staff is doing a perfect job and makes you feel at home. Everybody - from reception to room-keeping to Restaurant-staff - is just wonderful! Everybody is very helpful and outstandingly friendly. Any special wish you might have is beeing taken care of.
This place is just like my second home and I can recommend it at 100%!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled solo

Been to Baan Khaolak Resort? Share your experiences!