“Lots of potential” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Wanaburee Resort

Save Saved
You added Wanaburee Resort to your Saves list
Wanaburee Resort
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   26/11 Moo 7 Petchasem Rd. | Khuk Khak Takuapa, Khao Lak 82190, Thailand   |
Ranked #33 of 60 Hotels in Khao Lak
Helsinki
“Lots of potential”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2014

Wanaburee is a nice resort by the beach. It has lots of potential, but some of that is lost.

The rooms are big, nice and comfortable and the staff is great and friendly. Very welcoming. But there are some maintenance issues around the resort. All the other resorts around cleaned the beach every day, but the beach in front of Wanaburee was full of fallen leaves and other stuff. The garden had probably suffered from the long dry period and it did not look as good as it could. The restaurant was located right next to the pool - not very nice for the people having a meal or for the people taking a dip in the pool. The bar was in a very strange place too and perhaps that's why it was always empty.

Don't get me wrong, I really liked the resort, but it has potential to be much more.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
Basel, Switzerland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2014

I just had a perfect time in this Resort and it could not be better. The stuff is very nice and is doing a great job. Everybody is friendly and helpful and makes your stay there a pleasure. My room was very clean, big and comfortable. The owners must have a sensitivity for architecture, so the resort is well integrated in the very green and stunning surrounding. After checking out different restaurants along the beautiful beach, in the end i must say in wanaburee you get the best thai food for a very fair price. Even in high season the place feels never crowded. And if you feel a little bit dizzy after the long journey.. let you give a thai massage directly at the beachfront.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled solo
Ladysmith, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2014 via mobile

This is a 3 star not a 4 star resort. We did not like the hotel when we first arrived. For one we were expecting a 4 star facility. It's an old hotel that has fallen behind the times. At the end of our stay we did find it relaxing and very peaceful.
The staff are friendly and helpful. We had to change rooms because our first room had a bad smell (mould I think) which was covered up with a deodorizer. The second room was fine.
All the rooms are dark with not much lighting. Beds were terrible! The hardest I have slept in. The chairs could have been more comfortable and loungers on the balcony would have been nice rather than chairs.
There is a massive pond with reptiles and fish.
Food and drinks are more expensive in the restaurant then in town which isn't that far to walk or taxi (100bt). We rented scooters which made it easier.
Breakfast buffet was decent.
This resort is on a nice beach and yes there are some big rocks but lots of swimming areas. I doubt this resort gets filled up so you won't have to worry about lots of people.
WIFI was terrible!
Overall a decent hotel but we will not come back as it isn't worth the amount of money we paid.

Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Santa Fe, New Mexico
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2014

The rooms are outdated, but okay. It's nice that there is a porch. I wouldn't have stayed on the beach because it seems less private, but if I did, I would opt for something on the left side, furthest from the restaurant and beach that is more crowded. No garbage on the beach and less crowded in Khao Lak than other beach areas. I enjoyed that part of it very much. And luckily we went to the spa at the JW Marriott, which was fantastic. I almost booked the Marriott, but wanted something a bit smaller, which the Wanaburee is. I should let you know that you need to show either a phone or paper confirmation or they will not check you in. This was the first out of only two hotels that did this on my entire Thailand trip. I was told laundry would be ready the next day (maybe even the same day), but it was not. In fact, I missed my trip to the Phi Phi Islands because I had to wait the second day for it to be delivered. That was the early morning I was to leave for one night in Ao Nang. Unfortunately, we cancelled our oceanside Christmas Eve dinner at the JW Marriott because we saw that you could eat oceanside at the Wanaburee. The dinner the night before had been good. Egg roles, pad thai with prawn, etc. The Christmas Eve dinner was ATROCIOUS. For an app, a gob of mayonnaise with pineapple chunks mixed in, held in by a thinly sliced carrot and topped with a completely tasteless prawn. One small prawn. The meal went downhill from there and we left before it was over. In fact, we left in the middle because dinner was so horrible and went to set off a Chinese lanterns at the resort next door. Several people left dinner for a while to see it. Our hotel finally got the hint and brought a few out. Also, I saw several people complaining about the food and sending it back. They charged us for the full meal with no compensation. It was sad that it had to be Christmas Eve. Generally, the staff was very nice and the drinks were good. But they weren't fast, so be prepared to wait for things. The beach massage was nice and I usually don't like to be around other people for that. I was disappointed that there was zero compensation for the horrible meal that we didn't eat, nor missing the Phi Phi Islands. I had been clear the evening before that we hadn't gotten our laundry yet and that we had a tour the next day. They couldn't get our clothes to us in time and they were already over a day late. If they compensated for things they did wrong and updated the rooms, figured out that the specialty dinners, it would be a very pleasant place to be. I am appreciative that there is a nice staff, but it means nothing to me if they continue to mess up and expect you to live with it when you're a paying customer. And I'm a pretty patient and go-with-the-flow person. At a certain point, I couldn't do that here. Also, the beds weren't comfortable, but they were clean. Most beds in Thailand aren't comfortable, though.

Room Tip: Be carful with the oceanfront. Make sure it isn't near the restaurants or you will have people i...
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Oxford, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2013

Whilst we stayed next door to this resort, we did pop over a couple of times and have lunch
staff were very welcoming, and food was of a very good standard, and similar in price to the other hotels in the area. The new beach front rooms/villas looked nice, but pool was very small.
It is on the beach, so no real problem there, although you are not allowed sun beds from hotels on the beach in Khao Lak. easily overcome, just take your own Lilo's with you as we did

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2013

We stumbled across Wanaburee after deciding to move from the busier Khao Lak resort next door due to noisy children in the rooms around us at night. We were after a more romantic, peaceful experience and Wanaburee ticked all the boxes for us. The resort is a beautiful jungle retreat with abundant wildlife, a small lagoon and well placed estates/bungalows. The resort has a boutique feel and was only at 30% capacity when we were there so we felt like we were on our own in this hidden paradise! So much so that we became good friends with Salinee one of the hotel managers who was a delight! Nothing was too much trouble and she was always smiling and full of good tips and advice. This place suited us perfectly, and i will miss having a massage on the beach listening to the waves.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Jakarta, Indonesia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2013

Overall, very good. All staffs was very very nice, some of them don't understand english but it did not bother me. Nice buffet breakfast. I stayed 2 nights in Estate Room top floor. Wish i could stay longer. Only wifi signal was poor from my room. In front of the beach, beach bar, massage, got everything to offer.

• Stayed March 2013

Been to Wanaburee Resort? Share your experiences!