“Absolute honeymoon bliss!” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #12 of 60 hotels in Khao Lak
Kent, England
“Absolute honeymoon bliss!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2010

We stayed 13 days at La Flora for our honeymoon and we couldn't have possibly been happier. We had booked to stay in a Studio room and we were amazed at how perfect it was. It was quiet, immaculate, spacious and beautiful. We loved our room but in our second week we were upgraded due to some refurbishment work that was being carried out. We were upgraded to a pool access room and given a voucher for a free meal at the restaurant which was great. However, we did not like this room at all. It was average but cramped, and due to the pool being full of children right outside your windows/patio doors it felt as though we had no privacy either. The Pool Access room made it feel a bit like we were in a complex on holiday in Spain, not at all like a Spa Resort. My husband knew that I was upset and he also felt that our upgrade had been a bit of a downgrade, so he had a word with a lady on reception and within 30 minutes we were being moved to a Garden Villa! When we arrived our room had been decorated with flowers, wine and a decorated cake! I felt awful that we had said we didn't like the room we had been moved to, but at the same time it was our honeymoon and we had booked a luxurious holiday, not a package trip to Spain. The Garden Villa was absolutely amazing and we were so delighted. It was immaculate as usual, enormous and just perfect in every way. We were originally going to book a Garden villa when we booked our honeymoon but we though the Studio room looked pretty much the same but for less money. However, after staying in both we would definitely highly recommend a Garden villa. If like us, you couldn't afford to stay in a villa then our second recommendation would be a Studio room. We personally wouldn't recommend a pool access room to anybody unless you don't care for space or privacy. The food at La Flora is delicious and to be honest, about the same price as the rest of the restaurants in the area. Each dish is about £4. The alcohol is roughly the same price as the UK but the wine is £30 a bottle so beware before ordering! We sampled ALL of the cocktails and we can tell you that they are amazing. It got to the point where the barman was inventing them for us! The cocktails are roughly £3-4 each but we bought them at Happy Hour (16:30-18:30 & 21:30-22:20 every day) so we were buying one and getting the same again free which was fabulous! The beach was beautiful but I found the sea to be a bit scary and choppy at the time of year we went (25th may-7th June). It was very powerful and I felt as though I was being dragged in by my legs. Because of this we stuck to the infinity pool which looked right out onto the sea. Te pool was lovely and kept us cool on the very hot days which reached about 37' Celsius. Overall we had a fantastic stay at La Flora and each and every person that we met in the surrounding area and the hotel itself were so friendly and welcoming. They were never pushy and never hassled us. We would love to go back again one day maybe for an anniversary. We've never had such an amazing holiday in our lives, and if you're thinking of going, stop thinking and just book because you won't regret it!

533 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (91)
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
Sydney
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 7, 2010

What a beautiful place! We had booked for five nights to stay in a pool access room but within 10 minutes of seeing the hotel we changed rooms to a garden villa. Don’t get me wrong. The pool access rooms are well appointed and within two steps of your front door you are in the pool, which is great. We however, were attracted to La Flora because of its beach front location and it seemed a shame to be in the secluded area of the pool access rooms when the beach beckoned us.

The garden suite was huge, very luxuriously appointed, massive bathroom with indoor outdoor shower and huge TV with a reasonable selection of international channels to surf at night. By day there were ample sun beds and lazing at the edge of the infinity pool watching the surf was blissful.

Khao Lak was very quiet- but I am unsure if it was part of the low season or the Bangkok trouble or a combination of both, so a lot of stores and restaurants within walking distance of the hotel were closed, but there was still plenty of variety to choose from.

The hotel organised a day tour of elephant trekking at a rubber plantation, a visit to a waterfall, cashew farms and finally the Tsunami Memorial Park and Museum. It is really hard to grasp the enormity of the damage and devastation this area suffered as a result of the wave, but you can put a bit more perspective once you take the time to visit this moving tribute to those that lost their lives.

In summary, everything about La Flora is pretty great from the pools, the rooms, the food but most importantly the staff. Khun Kade (Hotel Manager) made each and every guest welcome and Tiger the (guest relations) added fun to each afternoon pool side. We will definitely be returning as it is a lovely area of Thailand.

Bangkok, Thailand
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 1, 2010

We stayed at La Flora for 3 nights and it was great. Everything was just impeccable, the room (though we took the cheapest one) was very clean and stylish, there was no doubt of hygiene in the bathroom. The staff are very friendly and ready to help you on any issue. The hotel has one restaurant which serves an amazing breakfast and is nice for lunch and dinner as well. Both Thai and international dishes were very tasty. I am pregnant and very particular about food currently, so trust me the food was really nice :) and the food is not at all overpriced, but be aware of the fact that prices in the menu exclude VAT and service charge, which will add 17% to your bill.
The hotel has two pools, so one has several bathing options.
However, the area is not a party place, it is quite peaceful and with few tourists (may be I got this impression because of travelling during low season). But since this was exactly what we were looking for, we found our stay there absolutely great.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled with friends
England
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 30, 2010

We have just returned from La Flora staying from 16-28 May. I researched extensively on this site and others before booking as it was our first visit to Thailand and we booked La Flora as it ticked all the right boxes for us. We were not disappointed. We requested an upgrade from a deluxe room to a garden villa (after reading a previous post) via email the week before we arrived and for 1500 baht a night (approx £32) this was duly arranged. This to me was worth every penny - the garden villa (Room 506) was beautiful, as good as any we have stayed in in the Maldives and the location was perfect - one row back from the beach but as the villas in front are slightly staggered we had a view of the sea. With maybe the exception of the two jacuzzi villas which looked stunning, in my opinion the Garden villas were the best rooms. It was a 30 second walk to the main infinity pool, restaurant, reception, library etc. The Beach villas had two rows of sun beds directly in front of them and although these were in much fewer numbers than during the high season I feel it would have still irritated me had I chosen a beach view villa. The gardens are stunning, there are gardeners working on them daily and the whole place is spotlessly clean. It was very quiet during our first week - maybe only 30-40% occupancy but it seemed a lttle busier as we left. For anybody thinking of going at this time (low season) be aware that Khaolak really is very quiet and whilst this suited us perfectly I appreciate that it would not be everybodys ideal. There were many bars and restaurants that have already closed for the rest of the season. We were disappointed to find that MooMoos (cabaret bar) was closed until 1st October as we were hoping to see the ladyboy show there as we understand that it is more family orientated than others elsewhere in Thailand!! We ate at the Hotel on many occasions both at lunchtimes and in the evenings as well as frequenting Chong Fah (out on the beach, turn right and it is directly past the Makdura Hotel next door), Tonson, a beach restaurant (out on the beach, turn left and it is the first restaurant you come to, about a two minute walk) The Green Pepper, a 5 minute walk up towards the Main Road and the Candle about 5 minutes further on. All meals at all restaurants including the La Flora were very good. At the moment there are two happy hours at the hotel 4.30-6.30pm and 9.30-10.30pm. However the bar, situated within the View 59 restaurant is very quiet and very often in the evening there would only be a handful of people in there. We enjoyed sitting in there at the end of the evening, overlooking the sea and listening to the waves. As it is an open sided restaurant there is no air con as such, just ceiling and wall fans but they did bring in some portable air con units towards the end of our stay as the weather was beginning to take a turn for the worse, very windy and some rain so the plastic blinds on the sides of the restauarnt were often closed which meant it could be very warm in there - however the portable air con units made a big difference. All the staff at this hotel are very friendly and are constantly trying to improve things. We had a walk round the Makdura next door but although some of the villas looked stunning, the whole place just did not have the feel or charm of the La Flora and the grounds were nowhere near as nice. We had complimentary wifi access but with the exception of one occassion I could not connect to it with my laptop (not sure if it was my problem or that of the wifi connecton) so we used the computers in the library to check mail, check-in for our return flight etc. These cost 100 (about £2) baht for an hour so it was not a major issue for us. Each day we received a complimentary daily paper and each evening at 6.00pm the "biscuit boy" brought us a dish of hand made biscuits/pastries which were lovely ( not sure if these things were unique to the villas?) The hotel is set directly on a beautiful stretch of beach, the sea was very warm although quite rough especially towards the end of our stay when the weather began to turn. It would not be suitable in the sea for children at this time of year as the waves were strong enough to knock myself and my partner over but we had great fun in there. We also had a complimentary 60 minute Thai Massage which was awesome - very professional staff in a beautiful spa although the prices were on a par with that which you would pay in England. I also had a 60 minute beach oil massage at the Chong Fah for 300 baht (approx £6.00) which was very good although obviously not on a par with the hotel spa but a bargain nethertheless. There are shops, restaurants and ATMs within a 5-10 minute walk. The ATM at the 7/11 on the main road (about a 10 min walk) does not charge a service charge of 150 baht as others did so worth the extra walk I think. If you walk up to the main road, turn right and walk for about 200 yards on the opposite side of the road to the 7/11 you will see the Police Boat 813 set back from the road through an opening. This boat was moored at sea in front of the La Flora on the day of the Tsumani, guarding the Kings Grandson who was waterskiing at the time. The position where it is now is where it ended up (about 2km inland!!) The sight of it really makes you aware of the force of the sea on that terrible day and you can see how Khaolak was devastated by this but the people here have managed to rebuild both buildings and lives and have remained so upbeat and welcoming which is quite humbling to us spolit westerners. Anyway would I recommend La Flora - you bet I would. Vey few English people - maybe 4-5 couples - I am English but prefer not to spend my holidays surrounded by them. Judging by the accents I would say the majority of the guests were German, French and maybe some Russians. Everybody respected everybody else so it was a harmonious mix. Plenty of Sun-loungers to go round so no issues there!!. The resorts aims itself towards couples and families so if you are looking for action and nightlife this is not the place for you. If you are looking for peace, tranquility, good food, beautiful surroundings and a warm genuine welcome at a reasonable price then La Flora comes recommended.

London, England
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2010

Stayed 10 nights over Songkran period in a pool access room on the 'wooden decking' side. Room was a bit tired, I think the rooms on this side are older than the opposite side and are showing their age. Wasn't really mad on the layout of the pool and these rooms, felt very public and cramped on the decking, the whole set-up didn't feel very well thought out, maybe no real overall plan with bits just added on over the years.

The other pool and beach area were fine, I'd have been a bit miffed if I'd paid for a beach bungalow to find at least 3 rows of sunbeds in front of the view though!

Breakfast was quite good, we were disappointed with the lunch food as the Thai food was not authentic, too westernised for our liking and not spicy enough despite our requests for extra heat. Consequently we chose to eat out most of the time, finding ChongFah a good spot for lunch and 'My Friend' the best authentic Thai food on the beach, although agian we had to get them used to our extra heat requests, not a problem I remember from previous visits to Thailand, normally quite the reverse! We loved 'My Friend' at night finding the food, view, sand in our toes and sound of the sea far more preferable to the offerings back on the road.

We were dreading Songkran at La Flora, thinking it would be used as just as a commercial opportunity but we were pleasantly surprised, it was a wonderful day and it was was really endearing to se the staff letting their hair down and so clearly enjoying themselves but still working hard in their soaking wet uniforms! We were also humbled by the respect and dignity they showed in the presence of the visiting monks and felt crass and inappropriate dressed in our swimming gear watching.

La Flora models itself as a boutique hotel, I'm sure the very helpful Jowell has plans but I think it has some way to go yet. It's a nice place to stay, the beach is great, staff on the whole are very good. The gym was fine and we also enjoyed the spa. If I visited again I think I'd skip the pool access room and maybe try one in the grounds instead. The longer we stayed the more we liked La Flora, it's simple charms certainly won us over by the end.

Chiddingfold, Surrey
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 12, 2010

We stayed at La Flora during Songkran and thought the staff did an excellent job on putting on a fantastic day with lots of attention to detail.
We were disappointed with the Hotel and thought it was much more average than marketing information from holiday brochures, we certainly wouldn't describe it as a luxurious boutique Hotel, more a family friendly beach resort which would serve it well. Rooms need some attention, the day beds are more a small sofa and are not comfortable for lounging on; bathroom is tired and there is not enought storage space in the rooms. The food is good and we ate in the restaurant a number of times for lunch. You are best heading into town for evening meals as there is lots of excellent restaurants, our favourite's being the lady that sells the lobsters and the Green Pepper, excellent! Khao Lak is shabby but you have to remember the past and that it is definitely still recovering. We were hassled a bit to go into the tailor's but other stalls and shops leave you alone. The Spa is excellent in the Hotel and we'd recommend a Thai Massage there.
Overall if you are looking for a luxurious retreat then I wouldn't say it's the place for you but if you want a family friendly beach resort then it's the place for you.

Picton
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 4, 2010

We ended up at La Flora entirely as a result of fate after our travel agent contacted us the day prior to leaving Australia to advise that The Ramada Khao Lak (next door) was undergoing extensions. What a great positive twist of fate. La Flora is a beautiful resort located right on the water some 4 kilometres from the main business centre of Khao Lak. It is located a few minutes walk from a small local village (Khuk Khak) which contains many restuarants, markets / shops & banking facilities.

For the first days of our stay we upgraded to a poolside room for an additional 1,000 baht / night. Less than half what our travel agent quoted! The pool area is beautiful & the room was a good size with quality facilities. However, we found the location to lack privacy as many other guests swam or sunbaked directly outside your room. We noticed that almost every other occupied room had its curtains permanently closed for privacy.

After 3 nights we paid an additional 500 baht (ie: 1,500 baht in total) to relocate to a garden view villa. These rooms are huge & are beautifully laid out. The villas are located close to the beach, main swimming pool area & restuarant / bar complex. We wished we had stayed in a villa from day one.

La Flora is a quiet resort which had mainly couples of all ages staying (mostly German but this was not an issue). The staff & management could not have been more efficient or friendly. Nothing was a problem & everywhere we went we were greeted with a smile & hello. Special mentions must go to Tangkwa, Poom, Jeab, Tiger, Bie & Jowell. Tiger's colourful safety helmets & matching sunglasses were a daily highlight!

The breakfasts each day at La Flora were high quality with much variety. There are many eating / drinking options in Khao Lak (too many for them all to prosper). We ate dinner in the resort restuarant twice during our stay & found the food & variety to be of a high standard. The resort restuarant has good options if you want a change from Thai food. As with all resorts there were many cheaper options in close proximity. Many people raved about the small Thai beach restuarant just down from La Flora. We used advice from Trip Advisor to seek out a Thai restuarant called The Candle. The Candle is just 10 minutes walk from La Flora. The food & service from Sine Paulsson and her team was the best Thai food we have ever tasted. The restaurant is very clean & tastefully decorated. We ended up eating there 3 nights during our stay. On each occassion we ate entrees & mains + mixed drinks for approx 800 baht! On our last visit we tentatively tried some Thai wine recommended by Sine's husband Bjorn & it was great (1200 baht). We also would highly recommend the private cooking class (half day / 2,500 baht / couple). Way cheaper than anything on offer through the resorts. Sine & Bjorn were excellent hosts & we would highly recommend a visit if you are staying in Khao Lak.

The small store just across from La Flora & the 7Eleven in town are good economical options for small daily needs. One hour Thai massages were readily available on the local beach for 300 baht & were very relaxing. We also recommend you treat yourself to a more thorough massage at La Flora. The spa facilities are beautiful & the staff very professional. Worth the extra expense atleast once during your stay. The locaql markets are held Monday, Wednesday & Saturday's from 3pm. Well worth a visit to practice your negotiation skill. Make certain that you utilise the resorts free mountain bikes. Khuk Khak is safe to explore by bike.

If you are looking for a relaxing & typical Thai experience (as opposed to the high volume touristy areas of Thailand) La Flora is a great location. We will certainly revisit.