“8 Days of Relaxation” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Mai Khaolak Resort & Spa

You added Mai Khaolak Resort & Spa to your Saves list
Mai Khaolak Resort & Spa
4.0 of 5 Resort   |   9/17 Moo 1, Petchkasem Road | Khuek Khak, Takua Pa, Khao Lak 82190, Thailand   |
Ranked #30 of 60 Hotels in Khao Lak
London, United Kingdom
“8 Days of Relaxation”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 6, 2014

A great place to relax. Its about 2 hours from Phuket City. so you can't walk out of the resort and go shopping. The resort however can organize trips to to what ever attraction you want to go to. We went on an elephant ride and a trip to the city. As it was the start of the rainy season, we relaxed by the pool for most of the time and drank cocktails. Jacob and the bar staff did a fantastic job making them. Our room was right by the pool, so we could step out for our room and into the pool. the Staff were friendly and helpful. The only downside is the location and the hard beds.

Room Tip: ground floor rooms with pool access cost a lit more but are worth it
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (159)
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
chittaway bay
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 6, 2014

We stayed here for 8 nights with the luxury escape deal. We upgraded to a pool access room. We were more than happy with the room which was very roomy, very clean and more than met our needs. Every day our room was left spotless and the turn down service with the cookies was a nice touch. The breakfasts were very nice with lots of options and more than enough to choose from. In our deal we had 4 x one hour spa treatments each and they were spectacular. The staff in the spa were very professional. We ate at the resort several times, two of which were included in our deal. The seafood buffet was ok, but nothing to rave about, the other meals we ate were fine. The cooking class was lots of fun and the cocktail class was fun but not my cup of tea. We ate most meals at the first restaurant on the beach closest to the resort and always had great meals. I had massages outside of the resort as well and went to the place that as you walk towards the beach you turn right, it was probably one of the best beach massages I have had in Thailand. This is our third trip to Khao Lak but our first trip to Mai Khao Lak. We love Khao Lak and we really enjoyed the Mai Khao Lak and like where it is located. The beach is very nice and we loved sitting under the shade on the beach chairs after our walk on the beach. We found all the staff very helpful and when our flight was delayed a day they were able to accommodate us with another pool access room. My only complaint is that when we booked our room, the same time as my sister, we requested rooms side by side. It wasn't a problem that we didn't get rooms side by side but their room was the other side of the adult zone barrier so when we wanted to socialise in the pool with them the only way we could get to their room was to swim under water to get under the adult zone barrier. Overall we really liked the resort and it met all our needs. We would stay again.

Room Tip: The pool access rooms are really nice but unless you don't like kids around you are better off n...
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
Perth, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 5, 2014

Our trip did not begin well as the offer we had (luxury escapes) included an airport pick up. When we got to phuket airport there was nobody with our name on their cards.When we rang the resort the girl we spoke to could give us no reason and ended up putting me on endless hold. We had to take a taxi (for 2500 baht) to the hotel. I found out later that they had e-mailed me to say that the pick up was arranged. However the e-mail was not sent until we were in the air from Perth. Needless to say we were very disappointed with the start to our stay. A lovely lady named Kik listened to our whinge and then promised to transfer us at the end of our stay(which was delayed as she had not made mention of this on our account and had to contacted at home on the day of departure) and to give us a late check out.It turned out that there was 2 guests with the first name of Malcolm and this caused the mistake. We were given room 101 as we had upgraded to a pool access and had our 9 and 10 year old grand daughters with us. The room was very good. Clean,large and well appointed.There was always plenty of towels in the room and around the pool. The house keeping was very slow and the first day we were there the room had not been cleaned by 3pm. We rang them and went out for an hour and when we returned the room had been "cleaned" but in a very shoddy way.In fact the bathroom(read shower) had not been touched at all. My wife complained and they returned and did a make over and we wound up with a satisfactory result. We never had to complain again as the cleaners did a decent job there after. We always rang house keeping when we left the room for some time and asked for the room to cleaned by our return and it always was. By this time we supposed the hotel though of us as serial complainers. I hired a car whist there and we did not have to rely on the shuttle bus or taxi's and we were pleased that we did as the taxi drivers had a captive audience and charged as such. We had free massages and the grand daughters thought they were great. I preferred the foot massages on the beach as the girls were very friendly and loved to chat and joke with us whilst they plied their trade. As for the meals in the hotel, there was mixed bag. The thai set dinner at the Mangrove was awful. If it wasn't free we would have sent it back.The seafood buffet was quite good with a fair selection and plenty of food on offer. The breakfasts were quite good with a good selection of fare on offer and the eggs were cooked to order. The coffee machines were very good and worked on most occasions. We only ate on the beach on one occasion as the grand daughters could not cope with sharing the restaurant with hermit crabs but the food was good and cheap as well.The guy in the beach bar "I never got his name" was a highlight for me. His English was good and the cocktails he made were just great.100 baht a drink was an absolute steal. A great way to spend an hour or so with the waves rolling to the shore and sharing stories with a great guy. Overall it was a pleasant enough stay but we will never go back to Khao lak again so will never stay at this place again.

Room Tip: We had room 101 which was right at one end of the pool and so we only had a few other people swim by...
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
Manchester
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 30, 2014 via mobile

I'm here at present and have been waiting 3 days and still waiting to find out if I can upgrade to villa as my room isn't suitable for my two young children, top floor, no bath and loads of ants. I've been told my tour operator only can upgrade me unless I pay extra 110gbp per night.( I can get nice bungalow local for 40) I suggested opting out of my all inclusive option to make upgrade cheaper but still waiting. Only got 6 days left now so let's see if things change. Hotels ok, foods good, staff very friendly but lack English which is expected in foreign lands.hotel seems new and is learning, hopefully will and become great.

• Stayed May 2014
Perth
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2014

It's hard to give an unbiased review when you've taken up a very good accommodation deal (Luxury Escapes for us). To be honest, if we paid the full rack rate for this resort and footed all the associated expenses, I'd rate Mai Khao Lak as 'Average'. Similarly, if it was entirely free, I would say 'Excellent'. I think 'Very Good' is a fair assessment since I had no major complaints about the resort and the free spa treatments etc. certainly sweetened the deal. I think I would probably try a different resort if we decided to visit Khao Lak again and had to full rack rate, simply as I think there are more lush, tropical places on the same coastline. We actually relocated to a hotel on Kamala Beach (actual Phuket) after our fourth day as it was a first visit to Phuket and we wanted to know what the more busy areas were like. We could have happily stayed at Mai Khao Lak for the full 8 days but we were after a bit more excitement on our holidays. Not to say that Khao Lak is dull, but it's definitely for people who want to get away from it all.

Some points as per what other reviewers had noted:
Pool Access Room - The pool actually isn't as big as you might have imagined from the resort photos. As such, you don't have much of a buffer between the pool noise (ie - children) if you are staying in any of the rooms near the pool bar. It's the shallowest area so kids will gravitate there. This goes for the higher rooms I feel as the noise probably would travel up. I would avoid Rooms 101 to 125 if you're seeking a Pool Access Room. We requested one closer to the Adult Zone but ended up being placed at the very, very last room in the Adult Zone (133). Perfect if you are a couple but just a touch too remote for a family of 4. Seemed odd to even put us there given we had kids. We asked to be relocated but they only had Room 101 (!!) available from the next day. We stayed put. Very quiet but possibly too close to the mangrove/canal, which while a little stinky wasn't really that bad. The room had a hint of sewerage smell when you walk in after being out but once the A/C started running, it wasn't a problem.
Bedding - Yes, the mattress is on the hard side but we didn't feel the need to get a mattress topper. The kids had one on their sofa bed but they sleep on/through anything so no complaints.
Breakfast - Things must have improved since the initial reviews but we rated the breakfast buffet highly. Many choices and they do a great Thai Iced Coffee. The one thing I looked forward to very much each day.
F&B Service - I think F&B service is a bit average right across Phuket but we found ourselves a little frustrated here and there ordering things at Mai Khao Lak. I think staff's English skills could be a bit better given the majority of tourists spoke only English (or at least not Thai). I have to say that the average Balinese F&B worker speaks English better and has a better attitude to their work. Mind you, I guess dealing with an endless stream of Aussies on a cheap holiday wouldn't be much fun either :|
Spa - Lovely spa. Clean and comfortable. I would have happily paid for services there but on the other hand, it's hard to beat an 18 AUD massage on the beach!
Food - Food was OK. Nothing outstanding other than the buffet. Like most people we ended up dining on the beach which had more atmosphere at a smaller price. Ma Ma's was our pick.

Overall, the resort it lovely and certainly delivered us four days of relaxation.

Room Tip: The Adult Zone is located from Rooms 126 (I think) to 133, with 133 being the very end of the buildi...
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
Yalyong O, General Manager at Mai Khaolak Resort & Spa, responded to this review, May 30, 2014
Dear monipod,

Greeting from Mai Khaolak Beach Resort & Spa.

Thank you for choosing our resort as your holiday destination and I am delighted to read that your overall stay was a relaxing and memorable.

Thank you once again for staying with us.

It would be my pleasure and also my team to welcome you back to Mai Khao Lak Beach Resort & Spa for a future visit to Khao Lak with gracious Thai hospitality.

Canberra, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 27, 2014

My partner and I stayed for 8 nights in March and had a lovely and relaxing time. We were in a beautiful garden view villa right near the beach and pool. Highlights include this hotels location, with easy access to all the beach restaurants and bars along the shore. We hardly ate at the hotel restaurants as the restaurants along the beach were so cheap and have such delicious authentic Thai food (Mamas was our favourite). The hotel restaurants were overpriced as can be expected so having a multitude of other dining options was great.
The buffet breakfast at the hotel however was fantastic.
The location is not in town, but you can get a free shuttle to town a few times a day. We didn’t mind being a bit out of town as we found the town of Khao Lak a bit underwhelming and we had everything we needed at the resort. If you like to do some shopping just get the shuttle to town for a day. We got a taxi to drive us to another nearby beach called Memories Beach. A perfect place for a good meal and drinks (memories beach bar).
Everyone is very friendly and we enjoyed being pampered in the spa with the free spa vouchers provided as part of our accommodation deal. I would not go to the spa without the vouchers as the prices are quite high. My partner and I got massages by the lovely ladies on the beach almost every day for next to nothing!
If you love amazing food, cocktails on the beach, massages and relaxing in the clear blue waters then this is the place!
I have recommended this resort to family but only if there is a deal available similar to ours. The normal full price of the hotel is too much so we only came here because of a great value deal which included buffet breakfast, transfer from airport, spa vouchers, free dinner vouchers etc as part of the accommodation.

Room Tip: Loved our garden view villa, not sure our stay would have been quite as nice in one of the standard...
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
Yalyong O, General Manager at Mai Khaolak Resort & Spa, responded to this review, May 29, 2014
Dear Steph R,

Greeting from Mai Khaolak Beach Resort & Spa.

It is great to read that you had a great holiday and memorable.

We all here are looking forward to welcoming you back here again for your next trip to Thailand

1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 26, 2014

Very overpriced for what it was - definitely not worth it. Stay elsewhere!! Room smelled damp due to no ventilation in shower and the nearest window at the other end of the room. Place had lots of kids so maybe better for families. There was a mangrove canal through the middle of the complex and the smell was enough to make you lose your appetite for the pretty average food. The complex did look like a concrete village too. I would never stay again. We let management know on our feedback form on departure that we weren't impressed but all we got was a generic email asking for a review so here it is - stay somewhere else!!!!

• Stayed April 2014
Yalyong O, General Manager at Mai Khaolak Resort & Spa, responded to this review, May 27, 2014
Dear Cat T,

Greeting from Mai Khaolak Beach Resort & Spa.

Please accept our apology for your unpleasant stay at our resort recently.

We have taken every comment seriously, we hope you will see the improvement & enjoy your time with us in your next visit.

Thank you very much.

Yalyong Ongsanam

Been to Mai Khaolak Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!