“We can't believe anyone could say something bad about this wonderful hotel and its warm beautiful staff!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Mai Khaolak Resort & Spa

You added Mai Khaolak Resort & Spa to your Saves list
Mai Khaolak Resort & Spa
4.0 of 5 Resort   |   9/17 Moo 1, Petchkasem Road | Khuek Khak, Takua Pa, Khao Lak 82190, Thailand   |
Ranked #25 of 61 Hotels in Khao Lak
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2013

I am so surprised that anyone could complain about the wonderful Mai Khaolak.
We have just left from having a 10 day stay at this resort. After staying at The sister resort Mai Samui in Koh Samui last year, we decide we would see what the hotel had to offer for our family.
As my husband and I were traveling alone this time we wanted to relax, unwind and experience a little of the culture of Thailand, and we were not disappointed.
I purchased through Agoda, 10 nights in a Deluxe room but thought I would email as I saw an offer on their website about an upgrade to a Pool access room.
I received a reply that day saying that they would honour their offer even though I had not purchased through the hotel directly. Great service already!
Once we arrived we were blown away by the resort and its beauty and ambiance and I was thrilled with the pool access.
Yes I must admit you can hear the air-con, but ours wasn't unlike our airconditioning at home, noise but nothing out of the ordinary.
Whilst the resort itself may not have activities running everyday. All you had to do was to ask the staff and they would help with organizing something for you. It is after all their low season! All resorts are the same this time of year in Khaolak.
In my personal opinion a hotel can be as luxurious and grand as can be, but is nothing without warm, inviting staff and we left feeling like we bid farewell to long lost friends. They could not have been more sincere, kind and accommodating. Nothing was too hard for them.
Our last night we were treated to a breathtaking 'romantic dinner' that the staff organized for us on their own accord. After arriving back from a visit into Khaolak Centre, we were driven by golf buggy to a MAGICAL table set up in the garden just for us. Tong the Food and Beverage manager, Jefferson F&B Assistant, Alpine Guest relations Assistant and the rest of the wonderful staff made our night one we will always remember.
We cannot thank them enough.
I highly recommend this resort to anyone willing to relax and unwind from the crazy life we experience back home. It is a family friendly, beautiful resort that I am excited to share with my children at the end of the year.
There is so much more I could say about the hotel, staff and area it would take all day. I offer my email address to anyone who is contemplating this resort and is worried about previous reviews to contact me as I am more than happy to give more information.
Thank you Mai Khaolak, Alpine, Jeffery, Tong, Karnganee, Namfon, Ada and all the other wonderful staff that made our holiday one we will never forget.
Until next time, Mr M and Miss S :)
Matt and Sally Webber sallywebber1970@hotmail.com

• Stayed May 2013

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (208)
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
Winchester, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 26, 2013

There is no kids club, entertainment or activities here between April and November. All the rooms except the villas have a inefficient, noisy air con unit directly over the sofa bed making it impossible to sleep without earplugs. The breakfast isn't great. We moved after 2 nights to Le Meridien and are very glad we did.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 14, 2013

My wife and I have just returned from a lovely stay at Mai Khoa Lak resort. We were treated with kind ness and respect and all of the staff were helpful and pleasant. As the resort is a little way from the main area the eating options were a little limited as a result we ate at the resort most of the time. The food was good though a little repetitive.

It was low season when we were there as a result it felt like we had most of the resort to ourselves. This was a luxury as I am sure it gets a bit busy in the main season

Overall this was a good choice for our needs and I would certainly recommend if you are looking for a resort away from the hustle and bustle of Phuket

Room Tip: Try going in low season to get the full benefits
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Copenhagen
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2013

Mai Khao lak is a newly built hotel in a relative remote area north of Khao Lak. The hotel is very nice being brand new, but also shows signs of shoddy construction here and there, but all in all very nice and actually very funky despite being a large family resort.
The pool is fantastic – probably on of the largest pools we have ever seen, but still totally clean. There also is a second pool close to the beach.
Rooms are nice and comfy with a lot of accessories (beach bags, sunhats, umbrellas etc.). Toilet and shower were separated which seemed very convenient. Our room actually had view of the pool area and the ocean, so couldn’t be better.
Only real downside with the room was the aircon. The aircon itself however worked perfectly, but the exhaust was placed directly above the sofabed making it freezing cold for the kids to sleep there – probably not the most genius construction idea :o)
Cleaning sprayed for bugs regularly, and we didn’t see any bugs in our room at all.
The staff was very service minded, always smiling and accommodating. Starting with the fantastic welcome at arrival, and continuing throughout our stay.
The restaurants at the hotel all seemed pretty good. Breakfast was comprehensive, but a little noisy given the inside construction of the restaurant. Lunch at the pool was also nice, however at dinner you could choose from buffet at the indoor restaurant, or at the beach restaurant. Actually we would have loved to eat at the beach restaurant, but didn’t want to have the fixed daily seafood buffet which apparently was the only option here. But luckily there were several restaurants along the beach, so we choose to eat outside the hotel most of the times.
The beach truly is amazing – hotel has lots of sunbeds discreetly placed under the shading trees, and you can stay there all day unless you prefer the pool. Bath towels are plenty and you can be serviced from the beach bar.
We visited the same area a couple of years ago, and the beach at that time actually was way more serene and beautiful – now following the establishment of the new resorts, a lot of local restaurants, bars, shops etc. naturally pops up and kind of spoils the peaceful surroundings. But still beaches are way better and more peaceful than e.g. Phuket and other similar crowded places.
Hotel offers lots of activities (yoga, beach volley, tennis, mountain bikes etc.).
Massage at the hotel was very nice, and actually not that pricey (foot treatment and pedicure however not worth the price).
Hotel offers free shuttle service to Khao lak every day, but only in the hours around noon (an option to go in the afternoon / evening would probably be more popular). The hotel doesn’t seem to have a proper concierge / tour desk other than the one operated by TUI. To be fair the majority of guests in the winter are Scandinavians, and maybe the TUI service desk is considered to be sufficient.
Some reviewers have mentioned the smelly channel running through the hotel as a major issue. We didn’t observe this problem at any time during the week we spent here even though crossing it several times daily, so don’t worry about that. Actually it is an inlet from the sea, which is being established as a mangrove to blend in with the surrounding nature.
Finally we also would like to mention the flexibility around checking in and out. Our room was made ready within half an hour when arriving early in the morning, and late checkout was also granted without any comments.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Asker, Norway
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 6, 2013

We (2 adults and 2 children aged 8 and 11) stayed here from March 27 until April 10. We were recommended this hotel from friends who stayed here in Janaury, and we are very happy that we followed their recomandation! The hotel is quite modern, with a lot of grey concrete. The building and entrance seems a bit grey and boring when you arrive... The rooms are spacious for a family of four with two seperate sleeping areas nicly decorated. I reccomend you to have a room with direct pool acces! That is really one of the things that made our holiday! The only "problem" in the room is the AC. It is located just above one of the sleeping areas, which makes the second bed a bit hot... The breakfast is nice, it has standard choices like cereals, bread and cakes (homemade, - very good), egg/bacon etc. But it also has a variation of Thai dishes (different every day) and lovely fresh tropical fruit. The breakfast area is very noisy (due to concrete walls/floors) so I reccomend a late breakfast (after the small kids has left for the "Bamse Club). The beach resturant is very nice but unfortunaltely the food is not worth the price.... I recommend you to visit the nearby beach resturants on both sides of the hotel - gorgeous food and very nice service (and half prize from the hotel restuarant).The hotel beach is terrific!! That really makes the holiday! We went there at the end of the peak season, so there were always lots of beach chairs and umbrellas vacant at any time. The beach gives you also a beautiful sunset, so we always went there in the afteroon (stayed in the pool in morning). Even though it has it flaws, I can really recommend the hotel especially for its service (housekeeping is very good), the pool and the beach!! The area is a bit outskirt (as it takes 15 by taxi to Khao Lak) and it has nothing else around (wihich is also nice...). The hotel offers very little entertainment at night so it is no place for the one who seeks partylife. For a family or coulples who wants to relax it is perfect! We will definitly like to come back!

Room Tip: Pool access room! It you do not want to be in the kiddy pool area, ask for rooms closer to the beach...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Melbou
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 29, 2013

My partner and I spent 5 days in the deluxe suite at this beautiful hotel and loved every minute of it!

The breakfast buffet was typical of a Thai hotel / Western menu, but the food was fresh, the coffe machine was decent quality and especially the fruits were of high quality and well presented. The swimming pool is probably the best hotel swimming pool I have been in and the cleanest I have seen and if you dont mind a swim at the beach you wont be dissapointed, sandy (no hidden rocks, clean, warm water which was to die for!

The rooms were spacious and provided all the amenitites you would expect from a hotel of this standard, the bed was very comfortable and just how i like it (a little firm) and the shower water pressure was fine.

We ate on the beach restaurant twice which was a themed buffet and whilst I heard people complaining that the food was cold, me and my partner though it was fine considering the types of dinner that were on offer you couldnt expect it to be served piping hot. The resort staff were also excellent, we had the chef showing us how to make some traditional Thai meals and Tung and Adda particularly were very friendly and made our experience here that little bit more special. In general the staff made sure your every need was met with a friendly smile.

This is the perfect resort for couples, families and people who want to relax in a peaceful and beautiful environment.

Thanks you Mai Khaolak for making our time there so special we hope to see you again soon and would definitely give it two thumbs up!

Rich and Mel

Room Tip: If you can afford to get one of the villas, they looked amazing!
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 27, 2013

I recently stayed at Mai Khao Lak for 10 nights in April with my partner.
From the moment we arrived we were greeted with friendly staff and refreshents which continued throughout the whole stay. We stayed in a beach view villa, room number 523, I cannot describe how amazing this villa was, the room was bright and spacious with a huge window overlooking the beach and a tub on our patio.
The room was cleaned twice a day and not a spec of dirt left!

The food in the hotel was nice but quiete pricey, we ate most evenings on the beach in a bar called
Siam- the food here was cheap and tasty! The staff were very friendly and they had live singing every night and gave away free Chinese lanterns to finish the night off! I would advise everyone I know to stay in this resort and will stay here again!!

Room Tip: Pay the extra for a villa was worth it!
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Mai Khaolak Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!