“Nice hotel, pleasant and helpful staff but lacks any soul.” 4 of 5 stars
Review of The Sands Khao Lak by Katathani

Save Saved
You added The Sands Khao Lak by Katathani to your Saves list
The Sands Khao Lak by Katathani
4.5 of 5 Hotel   |   10/18 Moo 7, Petchkasem Road | Khuek Khak, Takua Pa, Khao Lak 82190, Thailand   |
Special Rate
THB2,750 (THB)
Ranked #16 of 60 hotels in Khao Lak
Wigan, United Kingdom
“Nice hotel, pleasant and helpful staff but lacks any soul.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 24, 2014

We stayed at The Sands in early May with friends and found the hotel to be clean pleasant and reasonably well located. The room we had overlooked the 'lake / pond' and was pleasant and sufficient for needs . Breakfasts had a good variety of foods to suit most tastes but lacked variation. Lots of restraints within 10/15 mins walk ( be aware that this is a little up hill which I personally struggled with) and they provided some lovely evening meals (however mostly Thai - not much western food on offer) . When dining in the hotel the food was well presented and prepared and not overpriced.
In the evening however the hotel resembled God's waiting room. There was no life at all in the place. The bars started closing around 10pm and suddenly everyone disappeared. Too quiet I'm afraid for us ( and we are in our mid/late 60's !!!!! In the village most restaurants were shutting by 10pm so this must be the 'mood' of Khoa Lak.
Overall, a very nice hotel with pleasant and helpful staff all well trained to be politely friendly and helpful.
We have visited Thailand previously a couple of years ago staying at The Hilton in Hua Hin and would most definitely return to that area as opposed to Khoa Lak albeit that we did have a lovely holiday.

Room Tip: Ground floor rooms in blocks 5 & 6 are good for anyone with walking difficulties being convenien...
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
Katathani1, Manager at The Sands Khao Lak by Katathani, responded to this review, May 26, 2014

Sawasdee & Greeting from The Sands Khao Lak by Katathani

Thank you very much for taking your time to review on TripAdvisor. We are happy that you had an overall relaxing stay and enjoyable with our services.

With regards to your remarks which concern to our services quality and lack of breakfast variation, please be assured that it has been noted by management and will be taken into consideration for future improvements. Thank you very much for bringing up this points to our attention and we very much hope to see you again in the near future.

If I could be of your assistance for further inquiries or next visit, please feel free to contact myself at your convenience.

589 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (193)
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Perth, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 24, 2014

We stayed here for 8 nights as part of a discount package we purchased. It is the first time we have purchased one of these but have been to Thailand many times so don't think our expectations were too high.

Everything started well and the hotel is actually really nice and we thought about right for what we paid. Pools were a bit warm but that happens some times and only on one day was it probably annoying.

Food variety is not quite good enough in the restaurants but everything available was actually nice, just get more variety. Breakfast was a real weak point and possibly the least appealing of any hotel I had ever stayed in in Thailand. By the end of our trip I almost didn't bother going but needed a coffee.......then the coffee machines broke and it was percolated only which made breakfast very grim indeed.

Our package included massages for free every day. Someone in business once said to me I f you are going to provide a service for free it should be at the same quality one would expect if they paid for it. You want them to come back for more after all. Between my wife and I we had 8 vouchers each for a half our massage each voucher.....we used 3 each as I found myself getting frustrated at how average they are. We binned 10 massage vouchers!

The biggest issue I have with the hotel, and the reason I would never return here, is that at every outlet whenever you make an order you need to sign for that order. I have never stayed at a hotel that has done it this way before, usually I could enjoy a few drinks and then sign the bill at the end of my stay at a restaurant/bar. After a few days when I was relaxed this became annoying and it dawned on me how impossible this would be to review my bill on check out. If you had a few people ordering at different times we might have to sign 4 or 5 times during a lunch. Unfortunately for the sands this made me suspicious and the night before checkout when we received our bill to review before checkout, it was obvious that there was an easy to identify time where we had two charges when I absolutely new we had only made one. At checkout I asked to see the two bills and of course this was not possible, so one was removed. A 500 baht charge so not a lot but only by chance identifiable. If this happened daily you could see how this would add up!

I was almost tempted to make them prove every charge but to be honest I just wanted to leave as we were heading to phuket. There is no possible reason that you could justify this policy. If people were walking away from the outlets without signing you only need a room number up front and you could call the room or resolve it in another fashion If your staff are not tracking what they do properly and " forgetting to charge" then get new staff. The process seems like it is created to either a) make it impossible for people to accurately review their hotel charges or b) (which is much worse) allow for the easy inclusion of false charges.

I could happily have accepted the initial challenges as the hotel was nice and we enjoyed the room, but the charging issue was a deal breaker. Having stayed on phuket 15+ times and often considered katathani or the shore in kata Noi (actually we decided this hotel was ok because we had always heard katathani was good) I would find out if your other hotels had the same policy and not stay at them either if they did have the same policy. I would review this policy as a matter of priority.

We enjoyed our stay but.....never again!

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
Katathani1, Manager at The Sands Khao Lak by Katathani, responded to this review, May 25, 2014

Sawasdee & Greeting from The Sands Khao Lak by Katathani

Thank you very much for your review on TripAdvisor. We are happy that you had an overall relaxing stay and enjoyable with our services.

With regards to your remarks which concern to pool warm & atmosphere, food variety & quality and also other services quality, please be assured that it has been noted by management and will be taken into consideration for future improvements. Thank you very much for bringing up this points to our attention and we very much hope to see you again in the near future.

Hobart, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 22, 2014

we stayed as a couple for 8 nights early May this year (2014) We loved it here!! In comparison to their sister resort Katathani Phuket Beach Resort.....well.... there is no comparison! The staff were so friendly and helpful, and this includes all areas of the resort, always smiling and happy to chat. Breakfast had everything you could possibly need, however i was very disappointed when the cappuccino machine broke down :) I loved the space of the resort and our room was a deluxe room overlooking the pond which was fine with us as we were hardly there. The massages every day were great, however i had to say soft soft as i found them too firm for my liking, but had an older lady called Mimi for the last couple of days and she was great. We only ate here two evening meals as we enjoyed experiencing the beach bars at night, but both times the food was nice. The best food we found was the yellow bar which is to the right of the resort facing the beach. AMAZING food!!!! and great cocktails too :) The only gripe i have about this resort is the peace pool. It says adults only pool with a big sign displaying as such.. the kids have another pool for themselves, but i was utterly amazed at the complete ignorance of some parents who allowed their kids not only to get into a pool signed only for adults, but to allow them to jump, dive and make a noise when it clearly states PEACE POOL!!!! REALLY REALLY RUDE.. I believe that a staff member, even if it is the swim up bar staff, should monitor this more closely. All in all a wonderful relaxing 8 days.

Room Tip: our room was on the 3rd floor overlooking the pond, 3310 and we thought it was great although the tv...

Sawasdee & Greeting from The Sands Khao Lak by Katathani

With regards to your remarks which concern to one of cappuccino coffee machine was broken down during stay and noise disturbance from children at the peace pool, please be assured that it has been noted by management and will be taken into consideration for future improvements. Thank you very much for bringing up this points to our attention and we very much hope to see you again in the near future.

auckland nz
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 20, 2014

My wife and I took advantage of a special deal,and though we travel to Thailand every year,we had never visited Khao Lak,and we are very pleased we did.
VERY nice hotel,modern,very nice rooms (we only booked a std one)huge grounds which meant large green lawns and lots of space.Large number of sunloungers,staff to put the umbrella up,right on the beack,very clear warm water,one of the best adult pools,must have been 50-60 metres long,two very nice restaurants,PLUS all prices be it food or drinks was very reasonable.Happy hour from 4.30-6 pm in one bar,and the other two had similar specials at different times.110 bht cocktails inclusive!Plenty of activities,opportunities to meet people at the Cooking and Cocktail classes,great massages,the list goes on.alking distance to town maybe 1/2 km,with many proper bars and restaurants,plus walking along the beach,there were the typical beach style rustic bar/restaurants,serving excellent food and drinks at extremely reasonable prices.
Have just returned home,and already planning a trip next year.

Room Tip: All rooms looked great,jmore money=better view or pool. More than happy!

Sawasdee & Greeting from The Sands Khao Lak by Katathani

Thank you very much for taking your time to review on TripAdvisor.com. We are happy that you had a relaxing stay with our services and hope to see you again in the near future.

Melbourne, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 19, 2014

Just got back from The Sands and rather than be long winded we like to keep it to the highlihts:

The Good:
Great clean beach - but not for snorkling or surfing - swimming only
Very Friendly staff - they are even friendly to the German tourists most of which displayed the most appaling manners toward the staff
Breakfast is very good - but not great
Room was well appointed and serviced very well
Massage by the pool was very good

Can improve on:
Main pool gets a bit warm in the afternoon - others reviews mention the same thing
Restaurants could do with a bit more variety in the menus
Service around the pool - staff coming out to take drink and food orders would have made the experience around the pool better (and would have made the hotel some more money)
Cocktail and Thai cooking classes were of very little substance and I would have been disapponted if I had paid for them instead of having vouchers

For eating outside the hotel we highly recommend:
'The Golden Elephant'
'Everyday'
Sadly both are about 2 km from the hotel but a 100bht taxi fare will get you there.

Transport back to the airport for your flight home will cost you 3000 bht booking it through the hotel whereas about 700 metres on the right hand side of the road as you exit right from the hotel you will find a taxi stand through which you can book a pick up for 1200bht

Overall we recommend the hotel. Its not the greatest we have stayed at in Thailand - but its good value and great location. Enjoy

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
Katathani1, Manager at The Sands Khao Lak by Katathani, responded to this review, May 20, 2014

Sawasdee & Greeting from The Sands Khao Lak by Katathani

With regards to your remarks which concern to services at pool side, variety of restaurant menu, cocktails & Thai cooking classes , a bit warm at main pool and taxi pricey, please be assured that it has been noted by management and will be taken into consideration for future improvements. Thank you very much for bringing up this points to our attention and we very much hope to see you again in the near future.

Geelong, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 18, 2014

WOW: All I can say is this was the most relaxing, peaceful holiday I have ever had. I came hear for my 40th birthday with my husband, 3 teenage children and my mum & dad.

We stayed in a Pool Access Junior suite which was beautifully laid out, with everything we needed, including the pool access where we could swim at anytime with no hassle. The kids also had plenty to do within the resort including; chess, table tennis, tennis court, 8 ball, beach and swimming.

The restaurants and bars at the resort were brilliant and reasonably priced. The breakfast each morning was delightful and the variety was outstanding. You could eat something different each day if you wanted (I particularly enjoyed the 'crepes' made in front of you with condensed milk and melted chocolate-YUM). The location was also perfect with the beach at your door step and great beach bars where they provided great service with very cheap meals and drinks. There were also very authentic thai restaurants within walking distance of the resort. After eating at the Sands and in nearby restaurants, I will never enjoy Thai food in Australia again having eaten the 'real deal'!!

Khao Lak had plenty to offer with day trips in close proximity, we did Similan Islands and bathing with the elephants. It has a strip of shops (approximately 2km in length), a market 3 days per week, and we were not harassed to buy goods which was nice. We went to Patong for an afternoon and the best thing about that was that I learnt I was very pleased we chose The Sands in Khao Lak and not a holiday in Patong ( I couldn't wait to get out).

This was the perfect way to celebrate my 40th birthday with my family. Could not think of a better way I could have spent it.

I would highly recommend the The Sands by Katathani in Khao Lak if you want a very peaceful, relaxing holiday.

Kirsty, Tony & family from Victoria Australia.

Room Tip: I would definitely recommend the Pool Access Junior Suite.
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
Dear Mrs. Kirsty & Mr. Tony and Family,

Sawasdee & Greeting from The Sands Khao Lak by Katathani

Thank you very much for taking your time to review on TripAdvisor.com. We are happy that you had an overall relaxing and enjoyable stay with our services. We hope to see all of you again in the near future.

London
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 17, 2014

We stayed for eight nights in a pool room. Often, we have booked a holiday and there has been a problem of some kind, however minor - not on this occasion. The resort, room, service, staff, location were all fabulous.
Our room was beautiful and spotless. Access to the pool from the balcony was brilliant. We went out of the Easter holidays which seemed to cause a problem for some tripadvisor reviewers. The children's pool often only had a few people in it and the main adults pool was quiet with many sun loungers available at the pool and overlooking the beach.
Breakfast was good, with teas and coffees topped up regularly, the service in happy hour in the bar could take a little time to get served but the staff were very good. We had lunch three times in the bar and the restaurant and the food was excellent.
The place was simply stunning and we wouldn't hesitate to go back. There was nothing we didn't like about it.

Room Tip: The room we had with direct access to the pool was fabulous.
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
Katathani1, Manager at The Sands Khao Lak by Katathani, responded to this review, May 18, 2014

E-mail : residentmanager@thesandskhaolak.com

Been to The Sands Khao Lak by Katathani? Share your experiences!