“Beautiful location, helpful staff.” 4 of 5 stars
Review of The Sands Khao Lak by Katathani

Save Saved
You added The Sands Khao Lak by Katathani to your Saves list
The Sands Khao Lak by Katathani
4.5 of 5 Hotel   |   10/18 Moo 7, Petchkasem Road | Khuek Khak, Takua Pa, Khao Lak 82190, Thailand   |
Ranked #19 of 59 hotels in Khao Lak
Reading, United Kingdom
“Beautiful location, helpful staff.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2013

We wanted a quiet holiday away from the crowds of Pukhet. This place really fitted the bill, the hotel itself has beautiful grounds with ample sunbeds for all guests. Additionally you can step straight onto the beach and walk in either direction for quite some way. There are numerous small eateries along the beach for a lunchtime break. Just a short walk up the hill there are numerous eating places and shops to browse in the evenings. Or you can simply stay put at The Sands for all your meals. We found the food was good here but the prices were a bit on the high side. They even charged for bottles of water - something which we had not experienced in either Bangkok or Chaing Mai.

Room Tip: Try one of the suites that has it's own access to a pool area.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Katathani1, Guest Relations Manager at The Sands Khao Lak by Katathani, responded to this review, February 17, 2013
Dear Jill G,

Thank you for staying with us in The Sands Khao Lak by Katathani. I am glad to read you enjoyed the beautiful location and appreciated the services of our staff.

Also our chefs appreciated your comments about the food. As for the bottles of water provided in your room they are are complimentary and so is the water in the restaurants that you will receive in glas during lunch or dinner. Please note that if needed bottled water for take-out we also have an on-site shop where you can buy additional water or soft-drinks at local prices to fill the refrigerator provided in room.

Once again thank you for your review and we hope to see you back again in the future.

525 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (164)
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Knutsford, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 14, 2013

Today is our last day and we leave shortly. We booked 10 nights in the resort B&B through our travel agent. Our sole intention was to relax in the sun and eat good food. The hotel looked good on the photos but surpassed expectations. There was not a thing we could fault, it was clean, immaculate, the staff were Wyoming and the prices were very cheap compared to the rest of the UK and Europe. A fantastic world-wide buffet was available daily and the tables were serviced well and quickly. The food was fresh and nothing ever ran out. The bed in the hotel was one of the comfiest (on a par with Hotel De Paris, Monaco) and the aircon made the hot climate a fabulously chilled room all day and night. The swim up bar and terrace served great snack food at lunch and drinks all day and was a relaxing friend atmosphere. The staff are always smiling and keen to please, this is a common theme among the Thai people in general. The resort has plenty of good restaurants (Phulay and The Red Chilli) were our two favourites and The Monkey Bar provided live entertainment every night giving my partner the opportunity to jam satisfying the rockstar within him. Drinking in the town is available until about 2am. If you are looking for a relaxed, immaculate hotel on a beautiful beach this is for you.
We were due to checkout of our room at 12 today. We asked if we could extend until 4pm today and there was no problem.

If you are looking for a wild time in a crazy resort then Phuket would be your place of choice, where I believe there is another hotel.

• Stayed February 2013
Katathani1, Guest Relations Manager at The Sands Khao Lak by Katathani, responded to this review, February 16, 2013
Dear kamul,

Thank you for your review on TripAdvisor. I am glad you enjoyed the stay until the last hour thanks to the complimentary late check-out which is not always possible but if so we are happy to arrange. Just to avoid confusion, the restaurants and bars you mentioned are close to the resort. Our in-house restaurants are the Talay and the Floating Market as well as the Coconut, Mango or Pineapple bar.

We are looking forward to see you again, if you wish also in the Katathani Phuket Beach Resort or The Shore at Katathani located both on the beautiful beach of Kata Noi in Phuket.

Hong Kong
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 12, 2013

A large modern hotel smack on the beach which seems to be a popular destination with those from europe.
The hotel is just one hour ride over new smooth roads from Phuket airport.
Nothing to complain about this hotel.
Its clean, efficient, and friendly. The hotel just works. No thrills but every was good.
Two swimming pools. One for the kids and one for adults. Very clever touch indeed.
Many deck chairs / sunbeds dotted around the pool and beach but it seems you need to wake up early to reserve your favorite spot.
The hotel is located on a long beach which some beach bars just a ten minute walk
Outside the hotel there are also a few nice(ish) bars and restaurants tailored to the tourists. Again nothing special but friendly and enjoyable.
I had a pool access room. After reading other reviews people recommend against the extra money for this room, i disagree with them. Yes the pool that the room is connected to is fairly small and other rooms also share this pool however people tend to stick to their own section of this pool. I only once saw my neighbors in the pool. Also i would highly recommend this room over a standard room because its is a few square feet extra in size. The bedrooms are the same but this little extra is a living room and when you go on a holiday with a spouse / girlfriend / kids / whatever this extra few feet to have a living room is truly a blessing.

All in all its a nice hotel. If you are coming for a package holiday and you want to have a relaxing time with a group or your family then i would recommend this place. Everything is tailored for a family trip with activities planned throughout the day. It is a family hotel where if you come here you will not plan on leaving the general vicinity of the hotel.

If you do however venture out of the hotel and plan on doing a day trip i highly recommend a day trip to similan island or tachai island. We travelled to Tachai island with a company called 'love andaman' and they were fantastic. organizing hotel transfers, boat transfers, food on the boat, bbq on the island. Truly a splendid day on the most amazingly beautiful island.

Room Tip: Pool access room. Firstly the gimick of having a pool at the end of your terrace is great, its a hol...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Katathani1, Guest Relations Manager at The Sands Khao Lak by Katathani, responded to this review, February 14, 2013
Dear gumjoytravels,

Thank you for your review on TripAdvisor. It's great you enjoyed the stay and it "worked", we will try our best to "thrill" you upon your next visit!

Warm regards from Khao Lak, Jakub Piwowarsk, Customer Relations Manager
San Francisco, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2013

My wife and I came to Khao Lak on a scuba diving trip and spent a few nights here. The resort was really nice and it was equipped with great facilities. One day I swam in the ocean and cut my foot. When I got back to the pool, I informed the staff and they brought me the first aid kit immediately. They helped clean my cut and bandage my wound and asked if I wanted to see the nurse at their in-house clinic. My cut wasn't that bad so I declined but appreciate how attentive and caring they were.

Other things of note were the excellent breakfast and wide variety of very reasonably priced drinks. Our room was very nice and the decor was quite refreshing. Great ocean views and the room is just a great place to relax. I also took advantage of the great gym with all the latest equipment that is kept very clean. We enjoyed our trip to the Sands Khao Lak and recommend for anyone looking for an alternative to the Phuket area.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Bo L,

Great you enjoyed the stay and I hope you are recovering quickly from the cut. I passed your comments to our pool staff, they appreciate your comments and also asked me to wish you to get well soon.

See you on another occasion in Khao Lak!
Best regards, Jakub Piwowarski, Customer Relations Manager
Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2013 via mobile

We were hesitant to stay at the Sands due to a few negative reviews but once we settled in to the hotel it surpassed all expectation and we were extremely happy there.

The room we originally booked was a family room. I would not recommend this room if you have older children, also the view is average (see photo), and once you shut the sliding door to the kids room there is no visibility of the TV for the adults.

The staff at reception suggested we upgrade to a junior suite pool access for a minimal additional charge. The room is gorgeous. Modern, with light colours and a Japanese style sliding door to close off the bathroom. The best thing is it has a balcony/deck which leads to a private pool shared by about 15 rooms (but hardly any other rooms used the pool so you basically had a 40 metre lap pool with fragrant floating frangipanis and a water feature to yourself.) Stunning!

Breakfast was excellent. A great range of western and Thai food. Exotic tropical fruits, and the old style Thai soup made literally from a floating fisherman boat out the front of the breakfast area. Very efficient and friendly staff clear your plates, and serve the buffet. It's a buffet therefore one expects to help themselves.

Fitness centre was great and it seemed to be used a lot. The staff were very enthusiastic and eager to help, to join in with the games, and are daily cleaning the equipment. I did a few Muay Thai boxing classes which were great fun and hard work.

The Coconut Bar which also has a swim up bar was great fun and we ate and drank there often. Especially during happy hour where all drinks including cocktails were $3AUD which is a comparable price to the little restaurants along the beach. The staff were very enthusiastic, friendly and worked hard. Sometimes I found the main pool a little sterile and lacking something, I know it is supposed to be a quiet pool but seeing that food and drinks including a kids menu are served there and such a stylish infinity pool should have a bit more atmosphere, more music and more fun. I am sure the staff would be up for it.

The kids pool is great with a pool slide and lots of jets and spas. Perfect for up to 6 year olds. Probably a little young though for my 8 and 10 year old. Hence we used the "quiet" pool, which was fine.

Babysitting is a bit of a problem. The hotel charges per child and insists on one babysitter per child. So I was paying the same price I would at home. Also 2 babysitters in a small room at night is unnecessary.

The overall look and feel of the hotel is stylish, modern, despite its youth there are already many plants growing beautifully. So many little touches I loved like the glowing lounge chairs outside one of the bars that changed colour, or the groovy directional signs. It does not really feel like a traditional thai resort, instead the overall look is very cool, almost boutique yet it is a large hotel. The staff are constantly cleaning the grounds, everything is very clean. A lot of effort is going into maintaining the gardens.

Location is very close to town, just a 5 min walk to the main shopping area. Also 10 minute walk along the beach to little restaurants. Another small complaint, It would be good to utilise the rarely used golf buggys and shuttle the guests up to the main road and back.

The staff are great. Yes they are having difficulty with English but they are so enthusiastic and the only way this can improve is through contact with the guests. If you take the time to say hello and have a chat they are really lovely. Khao Lak has a small town feel to it and much quieter than Phuket. Don't expect the staff at a newly opened resort to be slick at speaking English, they will get there with time. In the mean time they are polite, friendly and really want to help. Special thanks to Joy and the other staff a reception, Man, Ing, At and Lak at the Coconut Bar, Nim and Kwan in housekeeping, and Yin, Weenapong, Bic and Bee at the Fitness Centre and kids Club.

Overall we had a great stay and would recommend The Sands

Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Katathani1, Guest Relations Manager at The Sands Khao Lak by Katathani, responded to this review, February 5, 2013
Dear ab672431,

Thank you for your extensive review on Tripadvisor and I am very glad to see that we surpassed your expectations in almost all points.

As for the babysitting service I am afraid we have to keep the policy since it is concerned to safety regulations that need to be followed.

A special thank you for mentioning the staff by name who took so good care of you. This is the kind of feedback that gives strength, motivation and satisfaction for having done a good job and I will ensure your comments are passed on to them and their supervisors respectively.

Once again thank you for your feedback and we are looking forward to welcome you back again in The Sands!

With warm regards, Jakub Piwowarski, Customer Relations Manager
USA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 29, 2013

I hard to explain by word how wonderful the hotel is.

Modern tropical hotel style with warm and cozy atmosphere.

I stayed at the Sands for 4 nights with my couple. I got a pool access room that made my stay so amazing. I can get into pool from my balcony that made me feel like I have my own pool villa and the decoration blended into the surroundings. It made my stay so relaxing and enjoyable. Another thing completed my stay is amazing bed, it’s really comfortable. I never wanted to leave my room.

About food, the breakfast is superb, have variety foods for you and everything is fresh and prepared on site from top quality ingredients. They decorated restaurant with floating market style. In the evening they have international buffets and seafood for you to enjoy but if you want an experience of romantic dinner time, The Sands provides you a very romantic restaurant by the sea.

Thank you for great service and peaceful atmosphere that charging my energy and fulfill my romantic life with my couple. I highly recommended for you all who looking for some place to stay like a paradise on earth.

The perfect hideaway for me. LOVE THE SANDS

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Patty P,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review and I was glad to see our services met your expectations. I passed your comments to our team who was very happy to hear your recommendation, especially our chefs at the breakfast. We are looking forward to welcome you back again in The Sands!

With warm regards, Jakub Piwowarski, Customer Relations Manager
Oslo, Norway
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 29, 2013

Our stay in Khao Lak and The Sands was a perfect stay.Great value fore money.
It was perhaps not so nice that we have snake in the garden almost every day ,but the personel was qvick too removed it.
Our remarks was also that the pool resturant (Cocunut bar) could have a more exiting a la carte meny.All in all we had a realy good time here and we will came back next year fore sure.

Room Tip: Book a Junior suite with a fantastic sea wiew and good space.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Katathani1, Guest Relations Manager at The Sands Khao Lak by Katathani, responded to this review, January 30, 2013
Dear a a,

Great to hear from you and that you enjoyed the stay. Khao Lak is an amazing peaceful destination with the jungle basically all around the resort, but as you could see our staff got the situation with animals of all kinds quite good under control. I passed your remarks about the Coconut Bar to our chef and I am sure we can show you some more menu-excitement latest upon your next visit. Looking forward to see you back again next year!

With warm regards from Khao Lak, Jakub Piwowarski, Customer Relations Manager

Been to The Sands Khao Lak by Katathani? Share your experiences!