“Heaven” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #16 of 60 Hotels in Khao Lak
portsmouth
“Heaven”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2011

We have just had a fantastic 2 weeks Easter holiday at the Kantary Beach in Khao Lak. Having spent the last couple of years doing adventure and theme park holidays I was a little concerned that we (myself, husband and two boys age 8 and 6) may get bored sitting on a beach for 2 weeks......I was wrong. Khao Lak is the Koh Samui of 20 years ago - my back packing memories came flooding back!

The hotel is wonderful! There was a real mix of Nationalities, Australian, European, Scandinavian, Russians, families and couples of all ages. Prior to travelling we read a review that it was being pushed to the Scandinavian familky market so I was a little worried that there wouldn't be any other English kids for the boys to play with, they love to make friends. We needn't have worried they made 3 great friends. It isn't over run with kids though and it definately wasn't too noisy.

Rooms: We had a bungalow, big corner sofa that was made into the boys beds in the lounge which had a dvd and tv showing Cartoon Network, good to keep the little ones amused when cooling from a hot day at the beach. There is a fridge and microwave and lots of wardrobe space and drawers. The main bedroom has a door from the lounge for some privacy. The bed is huge, we had all 4 of us in it for a night. The bathroom is lovely and the shower......The bungalow is fully airconditioned which is a must! Our bungalow as in one of the middle rows which wasn't a problem, we didn't feel squeezed in.

Beach: It really is just as you see it on the website! A beautiful golden sandy bay, very quiet, lovely warm sea. We always sat next to one of the big trees so the boys could play in the shade dig, dig, digging while we basked in the sun. Yes there are jellyfish, which you see washed up on the beach but we only saw small ones. My son got stung when playing in the sea but he said it wasn't that painful, Certainly didn't put him off going in again and again and again!!! Apart from the jellies overall I thought that it was a very safe beach and there were always plenty of sunbeds to choose from.

Food: We thought the breakfast was great and so much choice! Baon, sausages etc, eggs/omelette cooked to order, cold meat and cheeses, salad, fresh fruit, yoghurts, cereal, cakes...the choice goes on.

We ate at the main restaurant quite a few times. Lots of choice, nothing amazing but good, especially the pizzas. I didn't rate theThai food there, better in town or along the beach. Relatively good value for a big hotel and has a cheap Kids menu.

We also ate at the Similan on our anniversary and had the whole restaurant to ourselves. The service was fantastic, very attentive and the food was really good. We had to take our children and they let them choose from the main restaurant kids menu (not quite the romantic meal with them munching at toasted sandwiches). It was a shame that nobody seemed to use the restaurant as it wasn't expensive bearing in mind the food quality and service, would urge people to try it!

Staff: All in all the staff were friendly and yes they don't speak great English, but we were in Thailand!!! Our maids kept the room immaculate.

Drinks: Alcohol seems to be expensive in comparison to the food everywhere in Khao Lak. If we fancied a beer by the pool, they were happy for you to take your own supplies from the mini mart and drink them there.

Location: Yes it is 15 minutes by taxi into Khao Lak centre but the beach was so amazing at the hotel it was worth it. We paid 350 baht into Khao Lak when booked through the hotel (200 Baht if you used the shuttle but the last run was at 4.30) and 300 baht home.

Hotel grounds and facilities: The hotel has only been open 6 months so there are lots of plants but they are not yet established. People have mentioned that it lacks Thai charm and yes I agree however as we travel with children I prefer modern, clean hotels. The walkways are paved, great if you have a pushchair. We only used the pool by the beach and the water is warm, heaven for me as I hate cold pools. The clourine levels seemed quite high a few times and made 1 of my sons skin very dry and a bit sore but I took double base cream which helped clear it up. We did complain about it and the next day the levels had been reduced. Dogs - yes mildly annoying, I hate dogs, especially strays but they were fine, if they came a bit close they were easily shooed away.There is a mini market that had fresh rolls but this seemed to stop after the first week unfortunately. Also stocks ice creams, crisps, sun cream BEER!!! The hotel is so safe that we even let the boys with their group of friends go to the mini market on their own, much to their delight....much to our delight when they let the boys purchase beers for us to drink by the pool!!!! I think there is a kids club but we didn't use it.

Outside the hotel: We strolled along to the other beach restaurants, Ao Thong and Boatyard. Really good food and prices.
Went on a great day trip booked along the beach with Paula who was lovely, really helpful and much cheaper. (She has a stand between Kantary and the Boat yard) She also spoke better English that the hotel tour guide. We went to Khao Sok National Park and did the canooing and elephant trekking which was great fun. Paula escorted us for the day, would recommend.
Eating out in Khao Lak offers lots of choice but is very relaxed and uncommercialised. Sadly there is a Mcdonalds you just can't escape them!! Shopping is good fun and try the fish pedicure! If you fancy a drink go to D Time bar.The owner is a really nice guy and even opened up for us on Songkran (Thai New Year) so we could enjoy a beer while the kids got soaked and soaked others - brilliant!!!

I know that I have gone on a bit so to sum it up, GO. Fantastic value for money, great hotel. Would I recommend it to a friend, absolutely, would we go back, Yes we are already planning on returning next year!

• Stayed April 2011, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (155)
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
UK
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 5, 2011

My family stayed 7 days at the Kantary during April and found the resort cosmetically at least to be of good quality. We were given a very nice stand alone chalet on the edge of the resort with a view of the palms and the sunset in the evening.The accommodation was of very good quality but was let down in that a few small corners had been cut to save expense such as only providing one modern flat screen TV in the lounge whilst the TV in the bedroom was an old style end of line box model.

As I have said our Chalet was on the edge of the development with a view but you could well end up with an internal chalet with a view of another chalets wall in front of you..things do look a little cramped in the middle of the resort.

I found the Breakfast on the whole to be very good on the mornings we visited...in fact one of the better breakfasts I have experienced in Thailand in the 4 star bracket.

Both the pools were very nice and of good size although for me the water was uncomfortably warm..I do not believe that this resort has the facility to monitor its pool water temperature unlike some resorts. I also feel that the floor tiles around the children's pool are somewhat on the slippery side when wet. I do not want to be too critical on this as I have known a lot worse and there probably isn't anything such as a totally non slip tile but My 3 year old daughter slipped up a couple of times cutting and bruising(small stuff) herself in the process.

Internet is not free(except for public areas where I found the response time abysmal) but advertised as being available for a nominal or minimal fee in your room.That fee turned out to be a rather extortionate 500 THB per day. However there was an option to take a package of 1000 THB for a week which I took with 6 days of my stay to go. This is reasonable I suppose if you have to pay but obviously very unreasonable compared to the many other hotels and resorts(including other Cape and Kantary properties ) that have free wireless.

Obviously if you are staying anywhere from 1-3 nights and want to use wireless in your room then you have no choice than pay the high price as no other package was made available to us other than the 7 night 1000 thb package. The only thing to add is that the paid Internet worked very well...no complaints there.

Now I will move on to the things that IMO really let this resort hotel down big time.

Many the staff speak little or no English. Now I'm in no way suggesting that I expect all of the staff to speak reasonable English but even at reception there was a problem. I think it is fair to say that the lady that cleaned our room at Le Royal Meridian just up the road where we had the pleasure to stay a couple of years ago spoke better English than the reception girls I encountered at the Kantary Resort !

Another thing with this resort that I had the unfortunate luck to discover is that there is no generator backup in the event of a power cut. Now in a country like Thailand where power cuts are not exactly a rarity I find that to be quite amazing in a newly constructed upmarket 4 star resort....here again I think we see another corner has been cut to save money. In the event of a power cut you will just get two emergency lights,one in the lounge and one in the bathroom.

There were two power cuts in the evening during my weeks stay of about 1 hour and somewhere between 2-3 hours. Believe me in April when this happens the room reaches oven like temperatures very quickly,and you are left with the choice of cooking in your chalet or opening your door and windows to the hoards of mosquitos that are queuing up just to get in...so roll up folks the choice is yours...get cooked to death while the power is down or open up your windows and get bitten to death during the night when the power finally comes back on.

On the subject of cooking , following the positive breakfast experience we did order room service early in our stay...now that was a mistake....as good as the breakfast is good the room service food (and I assume the restaurant it came from)is as bad as bad can be. Salt,salt,and more salt,bland beyond bland,missing ingredients in the Thai food and condiments that should have gone with it...a very bad decision on our part...a disaster that was at least put to some good in that we could give the food to the ever grateful ex street/beach dogs that roam the resort...it was almost as if they were used to it!

So you will see that there is some good and some bad about this resort but the worst experience by far for us and particularly our 3 year old daughter was going into the sea in front of the resort for the first time and our daughter being very badly stung by a jelly fish.

We ran from the sea,stripping my daughters swimsuit off with huge welts on her legs.She was screaming and in a great deal of pain.We took her quickly through the resort in search of the medical centre and do you know what...despite her screams and obvious trauma ,the fact that she was naked,and both myself and my wife were looking highly stressed not one of the Kantary Resort staff at the beach or on the way to the medical centre came to help..they just looked on like lost puppies.

Amazing Thailand just amazing.

No where in the resorts literature or on the beach were there warning signs that you or more importantly your young ones could be at risk if they swam in the sea in front of the resort.

Of course I except that a jelly fish sting is not the resorts fault and they cannot control what happens in the sea but why oh why do they not do the decent thing and advise parents and others that there could be a risk at certain times however big or small?

They went to the trouble of advising people in their in room literature about the risks of sunburn and how you could buy lotion in their mini mart at an inflated price but any mention of the jelly fish risk in the waters around their resort...none!
I can only think this is not the image they want to portray of the ocean here,particularly as a swimable beach is high on the list of most families priorities. Better they keep quiet and hope the problem will go away methinks?

Anyway as any parent will know when they see their little one in extreme pain and distress this left me extremely angry ,if the resort had at least given a polite warning to people there is no way i would have risked the safety of my 3 year old. In addition to this the nurse at the medical centre told us that there had been another 3 children in that day with stings so this is not an unusual occurance at this resort.

On a positive note the nurse at the aforesaid medical centre was very good,spoke reasonable English and there was no charge made by the hotel for her services...so a thumbs up on this issue.

But for the major issues mentioned I would probably have marked this hotel 4 out of 5 but feel in all honesty that in my case and the experience that I had 2 out of 5 is being more than fair. I appreciate that I had a series of events happen that will not happen to everybody,but it is when things go wrong that you see what a hotel and its staff are really made of and sadly the Kantary was found to be lacking on several aspects in my case.

So in conclusion this is a pretty good hotel,particularly for families, but there are some serious issues to be addressed.

Further staff training is required to help them deal with possible emergencies or to cope with the unexpected.

If the hotel feels it is necessary to warn guests about the risk of the sun which almost 100 per cent of all travellers are already aware of then why do they not think it is necessary to warn the guests of the local jellyfish danger which many first time visitors will most definately not be aware of ??

Less salt and better presentation of room service meals please..apologies to all of you dogs out there at the Kantary if you go hungry as a result of this request !

And finally to generate more business from this guest and others please invest in a generator or two !

• Stayed April 2011, traveled with family
Kasemkij_Group, General Manager at Kantary Beach, responded to this review, May 13, 2011
Thank you for providing us with feedback regarding your recent stay with us. Your comments are both comprehensive and helpful. We will address all of you concerns with the appropriate department heads and ensure all necessary action is taken to correct any problems. However, I would like to address some of your comments specifically.

We acknowledge that speaking reasonable English is an important part of the service we provide our guests. To this end we conduct regular training with our staff in English as well as in other topics such as customer service. We apologise that the reception staff you encountered were not adequate in their English speaking skills but rest assured it is a matter we are continually working on.

As for the power cuts, they are an unfortunate part of life in this part of Thailand although they do not happen as regularly as you experienced. We do have a generator for emergency facilities and basic lighting in all common areas and guest rooms but this generator is not powerful enough to handle all of the hotel’s electrical requirements when the power is down. We are looking into buying a larger generator in the near future.

Lastly I would like to address the issue of the Jellyfish. They are not common in the waters here but, as you experienced, infrequently people do get stung. We take the safety and wellbeing of our guest’s extremely seriously. Testament to this is that most of the hotels in our group feature and a free-of-charge, on-site nurse to deal with any injuries or accidents. I am happy to read that these services were satisfactory in treating your daughter and apologise for any perceived lack of response from our staff to the matter. We appreciate how distressing an incident like this can be for the child and the parents and train all our staff to be attentive and responsive to all situations. We will follow up on this with the beach staff.

Once again, we thank you for your feedback and we look forward to seeing you at one of our hotels soon.

Cheshire, England
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 5, 2011

We have just returned from the Kantary staying over the Easter Period and the hotel was very quiet compared with other reviews. There were a mixture of nationalities English, French, Australian, Russian, German, Scandanavia. I was suprised at the lack of children at the resort and guess that this is a good time of the year to visit if you have no children!

We stayed in a suite on the 3rd floor in Block B which was nicely furnished although I think it could have been cleaner especially the tiled floors, but did notice that the cleaners did not have a great deal of equipment to clean with and some times the stairwells were dirty with flies from the open windows which took a couple of days for them to clean. The last couple of days of our holiday we had rain showers in the afternoon for a couple of hours and this meant that there was no hot water which again could be a problem in the low season if the weather is not good - even turning the hot water and leaving on for 45 mins as per the instructions did not work and cold showers are not good when you are not hot.

The resort itself is not the most attractive looking a bit like a mobile home park my husband described it as - but I think it was because it was so modern, new, lacking in vegetation and very white - maybe in a few years it will be a bit more weathered and the trees/plants may have grown it will look OK but if you are not bothered by looks then give it a try - the beach makes up for the architecture! The area between the complex and the beach was also not very attractive and again we were not sure if it was being left to grow wild or if they were going to landscape it.

The hotel does offer free wifi in the public areas but you have to get a code everday from reception which is a bit of pain if you are using everyday. They do have computers and printers to use which cost 100 bht for 15 mins so useful if you want to check in online for your return flight. Wifi is also available in the room but is charged.
The staff were very friendly although the lack of english was sometimes a problem especially when trying to deviate from the menu in the restaurant. The breakfast had a great range of items to eat and the homemade bread was delicious, I cannot understand a previous post "who thought the choice was limited and got bored after 2 weeks" - what do they eat at home?

The beach was beautiful and having looked at other beaches in Khao Lak I definately think we picked the right choice of location although we had to complain a couple of times as the staff were not clearing rubbish from the beach which was not good. Eventually 2 staff came out one day with no bin bag and picked up a couple of bottles and then went back inside - I think this definately needs to be sorted out.

We ate in the main restaurant only one evening and the meal was adequate but not the best that we had eaten compared with the wonderful beach restaurant The Boatyard where we ate all the other nights which was suberb. (Unfortunately now closed due to low season), We also ate at the 2 beach restaurants in the other direction (apparently there are normaly 3 but 1 must have already closed for the season, and another 1 closed whilst we were there) for lunch but only found 1 of them the White Sands Beach one was very good.

The supermarket at the complex was very good and very reasonable although I think the hotel was loosing out in bar sales as I saw a few people buying drinks from the supermarket and taking them out the beach, therefore not many drinks were being sold by the hotel. This was open from 0900-2200.

As mentioned before the pools were very nice but warm although the showers round the pool areas did offer nice cold water when it was hot.

Yes there are a number of stray dogs around the complex of which a pack of approx 4 like to wake you up in the morning at around 0700 but overall they did not seem to bother most people.

The position of the hotel also needs to be taken into consideration as Khao Lak is very spread out and if you want to travel out and about you would need to either hire a car/moped or take taxis everywhere. For us it was the quiet beautiful beach that we chose the hotel for and this delivered 100%. Don't visit this hotel if you want nightlife/entertainment just peace and quiet (not in high season though)

Room Tip: 3rd floor of the suites offers the best view
  • Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your comments. We were glad to read that you liked your suite, the beach and generally enjoyed your stay with us. With respect to the areas where you found the hotel wanting, your comments will be investigated and any necessary action taken.

I would like to point out that the daily code required for internet access is a procedure dictated by Thai law and hence beyond our control. We appreciate it can be a bit bothersome to have to get a new code every day but they are available from reception 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.

With respect to the landscaping, you are indeed correct that we are a new resort and therefore the landscaping needs time to grow in. We strive to be as environmentally friendly as possible in order to protect our wonderful environment so we will not force the issue with unnatural plants or landscaping. You will however see that in a short space of time, the area around the villas and suites, as well as the area between the beach and hotel, will grow in beautifully and naturally.

Once again thank you for your comments, they are an invaluable tool for us in maintaining and improving the high standards we aim for in our service and facilities.

Cleveland, UK
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 26, 2011

The Kantary Beach is like a lovely little village dropped into paradise, with an impressive entrance to the villas and apartments, a main road with shops in the middle and restaurants and bar at the end. We had a suite on the top floor of the block nearest the beach and had a wonderful view over the palms to the sea which was perfect to watch the spectacular sunsets. The location is heavenly with clean white sand and warm turquoise sea.

We went in mid April and the resort was very peaceful. We often had the pool to ourselves and there were always plenty of empty loungers along the long stretch of beautiful beach. Whether this was because it was at the end of the season I don’t know, but it was during the Easter holidays so I would have expected it to be a busy time. Certainly there was none of the raucous kiddy behaviour others have mentioned.

The suites are well furnished with lovely bathrooms and spacious balconies which give a generous amount of living space. We are a family of 3 and did not experience any shortage of hot water, even having simultaneous baths and showers. Also the suite was spotless; no cobwebs behind our TV – I checked!

I couldn’t decide whether the landscaping between the hotel and the beach wasn’t finished or if they are deliberately leaving it a bit wild; whatever, the ocean pool has an infinity aspect which gives the impression of a pond in a natural beachside setting and it is really quite charming. The garden pool with swim up bar is also very nice, though both pools are bathwater-warm which makes it difficult to cool down in the very hot weather.

The food in the main restaurant is fine, but the Similan fine dining restaurant is much better. There are 3 restaurants a short walk along the beach to the right (our favourite was White Sands Beach), and one to the left (The Boatyard). However, a must-do dining experience is in the beachside restaurant of the Sarojin, next door. It is expensive, but features the best of Thai food and hospitality and is an experience you won’t forget. They don’t allow children under 12, but our 11 y/o managed to slip under the radar and I am glad he did as it was the best meal of our holiday. Also try the Hill Tribes in Bang Niang for Northern Thai dishes - 100bt per person for a taxi (walk to the taxi rank at the end of the hotel drive – much cheaper).

Granted this is not an ideal resort for honeymoon couples, but for families it allows a bit of luxury for Mum & Dad whilst providing a safe and fun environment for the kids. What would make it better? Well a jacuzzi would be nice, and maybe a bit of entertainment in the bar at night to draw people in and give it a bit of atmosphere would make it perfect. For the moment it remains just nearly perfect – but we’re still going back next year.

Room Tip: Walk to the end of the drive to catch a taxi
Worthing, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 26, 2011

We have just returned from Kantary Beach , Khao Lak and had a great time.
Although the location of the hotel in relation to the centre of Khao Lak is poor ( a taxi ride BHT 300 or shuttle bus ) it more than makes up for it by way of its fantastic position for the beach.
There are a few restaurants on the beach ( which are cheap and food was excellent )
White sands was our favourite although The Boat Yard was also excellent.
We did however eat out in Khao Lak with Veerapats offering great value excellent meals ( this was also used by the local workers ) .
We found the hotel very clean and comfortable, the beds were very good and the bathrooms were large with plenty of hot water etc.
The staff were very pleasant and helpful, i noticed from other reviews that they struggled to refill the breakfast offer , this was not the case during our stay, there was an endless supply of food catering for all tastes.
All in all a most enjoyable stay.

Yorkshire, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 20, 2011

Spend two weeks at the Kantary Beech, at the end of January, and we generally enjoyed our stay. The garden villa was clean and the rooms were quite large with a great balcony/patio area. Our room was cleaned on a daily basis and we had no problems with the accommodation throughout our stay. We have travelled all over Thailand and to be honest the staff at this hotel were absolutely fantastic and genuine. Nothing was too much trouble. Staff in the bar upstairs and the restaurant made our holiday very special and we have kept in touch since we returned home. Now for a few negatives mainly associated with the guests......The hotel is probably 90% Scandinavian and 10% other nationalities. If you want some chill out time think again. The complex is like one big creche during the day and quiet during the evening. I found it hard to believe how many chilldren, at school age, were on vacation just after the xmas holiday period. The noise around the pools and on the beech was crazy, at times, and the parents didn't seem to care. I also notice that some guests had little repect for the new complex by leaving their cigarette ends around the pool area and on the beech. It is impossible to blame the complex manager and his staff for the behaviour of mainly European guests. The staff tried really hard to make things work and it was such a shame that the bar and restaurants had little atmosphere during the evening. Make your own minds up we all look for different things from our holiday. We will return to the Kantary because we made great friends with the wonderful staff and the behaviour of others will not put us off.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled as a couple
Kasemkij_Group, General Manager at Kantary Beach, responded to this review, April 26, 2011
Thank you for your kind comments, I was delighted to read that you enjoyed your stay with us and will be returning. We pride ourselves on our service and staff, so it was particularly satisfying to read that you enjoyed these aspects of your stay. I will be sure to pass on your comments to the appropriate staff. With respect to the amount of families with children at the hotel, it is true that we appeal to this market and that they represent a high proportion of our guests, especially during high season. We make no apologies for this but appreciate that couples and other “non-family” type guests may find this a little trying at times. We are sensitive to this issue and are endeavouring to put in place policies and procedures to minimise these problems including looking at room allocation and creating separate adult and kid spaces. We do have separate kid’s pool and playroom away from the main pool and beach and a selection of bars and resturants to suit all ages.

Once again thank you for your comments and we look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Kantary Beach Hotel

Been to Kantary Beach? Share your experiences!