“not good, worst food so far in Khao Lak” 2 of 5 stars

Ranked #103 of 192 Restaurants in Khao Lak
Cuisines: Thai
Dining options: Reservations, Late Night
Dining options: Reservations, Late Night
“not good, worst food so far in Khao Lak”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 13, 2014 via mobile

The setting is quite nice, a good spot for a restaurant. It's quite usual that the Thai service seems more or less disoriented, random and chaotic. That's part of the charm really, while visiting Thailand. In this restaurant unfortunately the service was random and the food was way below average.

At first, as we were ordering drinks, we learned that Sang Som was the only "whisky" available regardless of the Menu stating 10 other brands. Then it took quite a while for the food to come as we ordered dinner, which wasn't the end of the world. I ordered for yellow noodles and barracuda bbq and my wife ordered some sort of curry.

The portions were tiny, even in Thai standards, they were practically appetizers. The yellow noodle that I ordered was boiled spaghetti without anything, even salt, the barracuda had no seasoning, only a very spicy chili dip next to it. The curry that my wife ordered would have fitted in coffee cup, it tasted alright though, she said.

Not a very good restaurant compared to many tasty foods that you can find all around Khao Lak.

Visited February 2014

• Thai first
“Nothing special”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2014

We had been on a cookery course the day before. I ordered one of the dishes I had made. In fact it's probably one of the most popular dishes in the area; a massaman curry. The main ingredients other than the meat are potatoes, carrot and pineapple. My massaman when it arrived had none of the three! Staff not as friendly as you may expect. There were several large groups there as the same time as us so maybe they were distracted by this.

Visited January 2014
Orange County, CA
“Disappointing, Indifferent”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2014

I don't know what restaurant the last reviewer was at, but it couldn't have been The Beach. It is not on the beach, it's next to the beach, and most of the view of the beach and water is blocked by vines. Service was not friendly, though wasn't unfriendly. Just indifferent. No hello, no smiles, no chatting with me or my Thai wife, nothing. I had a tofu burger. 190 baht, around $6. It was nicely dressed up with a soft bun, lettuce and tomato slices, but the burger itself was so small, at first I thought they'd left it out. My wife's pad Thai was overcooked and watery. I won't say that other reviews posted before mine were planted, but I'll just say I won't be back.

• Visited January 2014
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
London, UK
“Incredibly good Thai food - fabulous”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2014

The restaurant is right on the beach and the decor is basic.
It is difficult to get bad food in Thailand but this is one of the best I have had in so many years. The tiger prawns in garlic are a must but all the usual dishes are better than anywhere else (except perhaps the Sarojin). If you are in the area go there as a top priority.

• Visited January 2014
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Singen, Germany
“Excellent for travelers.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 30, 2013

Perfect view of the beach, good foods, good beverage, this restaurant has what it takes to be a good one. If you're new to this town and doesn't know where to eat, just head to The Beach!
*My favorite dish is "tiger prawn with garlic and pepper". Big, crunchy prawns are real tasty! Check it out!

• Visited December 2013