“The King of Low Season” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Khao Lak Riverside Resort & Spa

You added Khao Lak Riverside Resort & Spa to your Saves list
Khao Lak Riverside Resort & Spa
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   67/167 Moo5 T. Khukak A. Takua Pha | Bang Niang Beach, Khao Lak 82190, Thailand   |
Ranked #9 of 60 Hotels in Khao Lak
Phuket, Thailand
“The King of Low Season”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2012

There's a reason why Khao Lak Riversie Resort and Spa is currently rated number one for hotels in Khao Lak. By far the value for money was spectacular and more than expected.

We stayed here during low season and our party took up three rooms. Only one other person was staying at the hotel so we felt pretty special. Bruno greeted us upon arrival and walked us through every aspect of check-in with ease and kindness.

For me, breakfast is everything and the resort hit it with flying colors. Breakfast is served a la cart from a menu and all you can eat. If you see something on the menu you like, just ask for it and it will be prepared for you. Our table was set up for us each morning and we never waited long for service or food. Everything tasted great and the waitress never made a mistake with our order(s). I especially liked the muesli with plain yoghurt, fruit salad with plain yoghurt, pancakes, orange juice and coffee; made fresh from an espresso machine. Although I like my coffee very strong, the potency of this coffee was not too strong and definitely not weak. I wish I could have tried everything on the menu, but each time I got too full trying. Such a simple but awesome idea.

We also enjoyed a one-hour massage from the spa. Since it was low season, we had to book the day ahead as Bruno had to bring in two masseurs just for us. The spa is split in two levels. The third floor has the massage room, which can cater two people at a time. The fourth floor has the sauna, which our friends tried and said they enjoyed. The massage room has a large picture window overlooking the pool so the morning light was part of the ambiance. I’m guessing it would have a totally different if we had the massage in the evening, which some may prefer, but for us, the not so dim room was just fine.

The swimming pool also impressed us. The entire hotel grounds are pretty much showcasing this large outdoor swimming pool and landscaping. Every room has a pool view, river view and ocean view. We love water so this concept scored well with us, and the higher your room the better the view. Since it was low season, swimming in the ocean wasn’t a good idea with the strong currents, so the pool was a fantastic alternative. Normally we don’t spend much time in any hotel swimming pool, but we couldn’t keep out of this one. The water was 29 C or higher and we could have swam in it all day. The pool lights are also set on a timer to turn off at 10 pm, but Bruno was nice enough to turn them back on when he noticed we were still in there. He even left then on until we finally dragged ourselves away around midnight.

I can only guess the hotel strives to deliver the same quality service during high season, but if you choose this hotel like we did in the low season, you'll see why it's King! It really felt like we owned the place for two fortunate days. We were also blessed with high season weather. It didn't rain a single drop while we were there.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (34)
Newcastle, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2012

My boyfriend and I stayed here in May and absolutely loved it. It was the perfect place to relax and unwind. The owner and staff were very helpful, the hotel was very clean and the bedroom and bathroom were very spacious. The minibar prices were not ridiculous so it was lovely to sit on the balcony in the evening and have a drink. It was ideally situated on the beach but not too far from some lovely little restaurants and bars. We would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
Solroed Strand, Denmark
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2012

We - a family of 4 - just came back from staying here 8 days. It was just excellent!! The owner and the staff were so friendly and serviceminded - and we felt very spoiled during the whole stay. The breakfast was just great and delicious. Also the food at the restaurent at dinner were fantastic, tasty and very very well served. They really gave us a treat. We had two interconnecting rooms - the rooms are big, very very clean and have a marvellous view. The pool is also very clean. The resort is placed down a little road, so no trafficnoise at all but still walking distance to the restaurants and shops. You can walk directly through the garden to the beach. The resort is placed along a beautiful riverside and some trees are breaking the wind from the sea. You have a beautiful view of both the river and the sea. When you try the lovely spa, sauna or herbal steambath you can also enjoy the great view. Would we stay there again - definitely - we can´t wait!!!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2012

I have been meaning to write this for over a year, so I guess it is a compliment that I have made the time to do it.
I loved my stay at the Khao Lak riverside resort and spa! We came in rainy season, so spent more time in the hotel then we normally would have on holiday. Everything was immaculate, clean and pristine. The room its self was one of the biggest I have stayed in, and everything is so new and modern, but with a great Thai feel.
Breakfast was really nice Al La Ca every morning, and just what we needed to bring us back to life after big night on the thai whisky!
Pool is so nice, and the grounds are just as immaculate as the rest of the resort. Totally recommend this place. Quite romantic :)

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
Sacramento, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 4, 2012 via mobile

My wife and I recently stayed here. My overall experience here was not great. The place is run my Markus the owner. I think calling it a resort is far fetched. There is nothing resort like at this place. I was at the pool several times and no one offered to put up an umbrella or see of we wanted any drinks. The place felt like a guesthouse or bed and breakfast.

I gave this place three stars for two reasons.
#1: there was a night where we got back to the hotel around 10:30 pm. Mind you that when we checked in Markus asked us to leave the room key with the front desk to ensure the Key doesn't get lost. Im fine with that and he did mention that the front desk is closed by 8 pm.(honesty what's up with that? I get that's it low season but who do I call if I have an emergency) we got back one night at 10:30 and we had no way of getting our room key! Thank goodness markus and his son lived on the property I had to wake him up to get my key. The next morning my wife and I appologized for waking him up (this was in the spirit of being courteous) and markus was very rude to us!! I honestly think he should have made arrangements to give us our key that night or get rid of the rule of giving the key to the front that closes early.

#2: The morning we checked out Markus was just bloody rude to us. Why would you be rude to your guests as they leave? Surely you want them to leave happy!

I came to this place because it was #1 on tripadvisor. I really wanted to like this hotel but I have to say that it is not close to being #1 and there are much better hotels in Khao Lak.

Overall good location, nice room but poor management.

• Stayed May 2012
uk
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 14, 2012

We stayed at the Riverside For two weeks March 27th. This is a fantastic hotel, the rooms, reception, restaurant are keeped spotlessly clean . The gardens and swimming pool area are very peaceful with good quality sun-loungers. Just a short walk at the end of the garden your be on the beach with lots of Bars Restaurants and Messages huts to the left you can catch a pull across ferry for B20 if the tide is high, then walk too more restaurants and other beach side hotels.

We would both like to say thank you to Bruno, Marcus & all there staff for making our stay most enjoyable (were be back next year)

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
Oxford
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 19, 2012

My husband and I stayed for 2 nights at the end of our two week stay in Khao Lak. We loved it.

The rooms were gorgeous with a fabulous sea view, we liked the tinted glass which made the room very private. The pool was huge, warm and throughout our stay quiet, in fact there was just the two of us.

The hotel is a short stroll to the beach, where you can find massages, a few bars and our favourite eatery, My Friend.

We were based at the hotel during the Tsunami scare, but we were calmly moved to higher ground, in luxury transport. We were fed and watered and provided with a beer or two, before being safely returned.

We stayed in 4 resorts in Khao Lak and will definitely return to Riverside.

My only wish would be for a few more ENglish speaking TV channels in the room, a very minor detail.

Room Tip: All rooms have a fantastic sea and river view