My husband and I stayed 9 nights at this lovely hotel. Usually we feel like moving on after staying a week in one place, but not with this hotel - we enjoyed it so much.
We chose a pool view room, one floor up from the pool access rooms, and were happy with that choice. The room was beautiful, with hardwood floor and plenty of closet space. The king bed was a bit firm for us, but the hotel provided a nice thick top pad on request, that really helped a lot. We thought the DVD player was a nice touch for rainy evenings - the reception had a small movie selection too. The bathroom had a large rain shower separate from the bathtub. There was a roomy balcony with two chairs and a comfy daybed.
The breakfast buffet was among the best we have seen. All the "standard" western breakfast foods, plus lots side dishes and Thai dishes that kept changing from day to day. An abundance of fresh fruits, also with some variation from day to day, a real barrista who knew her stuff... And friendly, efficient waiters. A very, very good start, every single day!
We had dinner in their Japanese, Thai and Mediterranean restaurants. The Japanese one was good, I went back for seconds of their excellent makis. We enjoyed the Mediterranean too, but thought the portions were on the small side. For instance, their starter with hoummus and baba ganosh came with one spoon (literally!) of each. The food we had in their Thai restaurant was okay, but not very interesting. Of course the prices are higher than in town, but not extremely so.
The beach chairs were comfy and the waiters kept coming by with ice water and fresh fruit, courtesy of the hotel. Excellent service and also very helpful people. When I had a run-in with a jellyfish that left a nasty rash on my leg, one of the waiters disappeared into the kitchen and returned with a concoction of vinegar and some local herb. It was amazingly efficient, the pain stopped as soon as he put the stuff on my leg and after 15 minutes the rash was invisible. It was so kind of him.
We tried the two-hour Thai fusion massage at the hotel spa and enjoyed it. The spa prices were ca. 5 x higher than on the beach or in the small local spas, but the spa area is gorgeous and the staff make you feel like a queen, so it was absolutely worth it.
I also had a Thai massage on the first beach place to the right of the hotel. The woman there finished with this neat chiropractic trick - the POP! was so loud, we both laughed - it fixed the shoulder that had been bothering me for months before the vacation. Now that is excellent value for 250 baht! Give them a try, they were nice people and they sure can use the business.
The truly unique feature of this hotel is the pool. I read somewhere that it is one of the largest in Asia. It is like a lagoon that meanders around the hotel buildings, surrounded by greenery and with some shade along the way. In two places it widens to more "normal" pools, complete with pool bars. If you swim the full round, I think it must be a kilometer long. We loved it and did the round every afternoon. The fitness center was also a nice experience, quite large, absolutely clean and well equipped including free weights.
The hotel offers a shuttle service to town and you can also book pickup there. Prices were reasonable. We used this service twice, the first was perfect, but on the second one they did not come to pick us up. It was annoying, but considering they had a 200-guests Indian wedding that evening, I suppose misunderstandings can happen. We got an excuse from the front desk manager, but had to remind them again upon checkout to take the missed pickup off our bill. That was the only glitch during our stay. Considering they surprised me with cake in our room at my birthday, I am more than willing to forgive the missed pickup...!
To sum it up, this is one of the most enjoyable hotel stays we have had, and I can only warmly recommend this hotel. I am pretty sure we are going return to the Marriott Khao Lak in a couple of years or so.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Discover the treasures of Khao Lak at JW Marriott Khao Lak Resort and Spa. The pristine white sand beach stretches for miles, melting into the exquisite azure waters of the Andaman Sea. This is Khao Lak, Thailand - a hidden paradise of sun, sea and sand, as well as lush tropical greenery, granite mountains and stunning waterfalls. The vast landscaped area within the resort grounds makes the resort an ideal outdoor venue for incentives or themed events, weddings or product launches. At Marriott Hotels and Resorts®, it's our mission to make every business trip a pleasure and every vacation a trip of a lifetime. Enjoy amenity-filled guest rooms, superb dining, and exemplary meeting facilities. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Marriott, Expedia, Hotels.com, Priceline, Agoda, HotelTravel.com, Despegar.com, Orbitz, TripOnline SA, Odigeo and Tingo so you can book your JW Marriott Khao Lak Resort & Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Jw Marriott Khao Lak Resort And Spa
- Jw Marriott Khao Lak Hotel Khao Lak
- Cher Fah Hotel
- Cher Fah Resort