“Crazy beautiful” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #5 of 61 Hotels in Khao Lak
Hong Kong
“Crazy beautiful”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2011

This was a very memorable vacation for me - my boyfriend proposed to me here!!

JW Marriott Khao Lak is around one hour away from Phuket airport. We arranged the hotel to send a limo and it was around 1500baht - pretty reasonable. The limo had bottled water and wet towels prepared for us once we got in after being picked up.

This resort is spectacular - when checking in, they asked us to sit in the lobby sofa's to relax while they checked in for us - much better than standing at a desk watching the receptionist type away looking for your reservation!

First thing that caught our eye while checking in was the fantastic view of the resort - all those swimming pools! I almost got lost on the first two days because they have 3+ swimming pools, one with a small water slide, one with a bar [w/ happy hour every night], a pool for kids, and more. We stayed in the pool nearest to the lobby because they have small secluded cushions that can sit 3-4 people. Each cushion is in a little corner covered by bushes and greenery so you can't really see what people are doing unless you swim around them. I didn't really like their beach - it was very messy. They did not have enough staff to help with towels so you had to find an empty chair or lounger yourself, which is pretty difficult when people hog them from morning to night even if they aren't there! Don't worry, you learn their habits and adapt to them after a day with NOWHERE TO LIE DOWN!

I personally did not like the towel storage areas. The resort is ever so huge and they only had 2 places to provide towels but for some reason the closest one to the rooms was closed almost all day so the only place to get towels was at the beach. - mind you the beach is a little bit far away from some of the swimming pools and rooms.

Rooms - what can I say? Every resort I've been to have the best rooms! This JW Marriott had beautiful balconies. Each one had an outdoor sofa (see picture!).

Breakfast buffet - best part is the DIY smoothies (you can pick which fruits you want to mix and if you want to add milk) The downside to this setup were the smoothies went too quickly and this resulted in long lines every morning. *DO* go early if you can get up for the breakfast because it is insanely busy. Staying at the resort, you feel like the rooms are half occupied and its quiet but then the next day, you'll see EVERYBODY at the buffet! I loved the Thai restaurant "Ta Krai" - very authentic and romantic. The food arrived quickly and the service was excellent - full of smiles and laughter.

Quan Spa - they had cute little shacks for the couple rooms and it did not feel like we were in the resort.

For two nights, it rained so we could not get to town so we entertained ourselves with table tennis and pool near the lobby.There are tons of activities - the concierge have many brochures and pamphlets. We went river rafting, elephant riding, zip lining and quad biking (remember to take mosquito repellent!). There were a day trips we waned to do but they take a whole day with sitting on a speedboat to the outlying islands so we had to pick the tip top things we wanted to do within 5-6 days.

This JW Marriott resort is on my top ten list of hotels to stay in and they did live up to our expectations and they WILL live up to yours, I swear it.

The only downward part of this trip that might not even be the resort's fault was when we checked out, i gave them 15 postcards to post off for me. I did pay for them to do it for stamps, etc but none of them, not even one arrived. They were sent to Australia, USA, Canada, Spain and Hong Kong. It was a special occasion for me so it was pretty disappointing that none of them were delivered. I did email them twice to find out but we never got a response so I'm still a bit upset every time I think about them., especially when they didn't email back or try to find out what happened.

Another comment I have to make for this resort is the tension in the staff when they worked together. I think the management company for this resort are Europeans because half of them were European, mostly German and the other half were Thai's and when they talked to each other, you could feel the anger between them. That is definitely a horrible thing to observe and feel but I hope the hotel resolves their issues to ensure great service in this incredible resort.

APART from the above two comments, DO GO TO JW MARRIOTT KHAO LAK - you won't regret it.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (690)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Frankfurt, Germany
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2011

We had a beautiful room, huge in size, very modern and in top shape, with a little terrace and a footpath to the pool. We never had any kind of bug or insect in the room. Flatscreen TV with a huge selection of channels and free internet. One of the most comfy beds I have ever slept in, huge bathtub and additional shower.
Breakfast was great with a good selection of european, thai and other choices, lots of fruit and smoothies prepared on order. Every day we ate on the terrace towards the beach, very nice view and very attentive staff. We tried two of the restaurants, both were okay and not too pricey. Two little Thai beach restaurants (not part of the hotel) to the left and the right of the property get most of the dining business, though, and they are cheaper and a very good alternative if you like Thai food. They also do basic non-Thai dishes (we never tried, the Thai was too great). The beach is really long, clean and almost deserted most of the time, great for long walks. Most of the days we had high waves which would be unsuitable for kids to swim.
Tried the spa which is a bit pricey, as well, and the french manicure I got began to break off after a couple of hours, so I would not recommend it.
We do recommend to rent a car while here to get to town, if you want to do a little exploring and maybe try some of the restaurants in the area.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled as a couple
Stockholm, Sweden
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2011

Stayed at this hotel for two weeks and we were very satisfied. The room was right next to the pool and it was excellent. Very comfy bed and the cleaning personell did a great job. The only thing was that one of the lamps at the terrace was broken for a couple of days without being replaced and with glass scattered on the floor.
The beach with the sunchairs was truly a dream. No other hotels nearby so the beach was quite empty if you walked for a few minutes. During the whole day we received water at our sunchairs by the beach personnel.
Breakfast couldn´t be better. It was very good.Fresh directly made smoothies. Lots of different fruits. All you could ask for.
But I think the restaurants at the hotel had too few options on the meny.
Just a 100 m from the hotel, on the beach, were several "simple" restaurants with very good food and service. Nice prices. It is a good option.
We also ordered room service a couple of times. I myself have not English as my mother tongue but I thoughht sometimes the person answering did not really understand what I ordered. But they called back and we sortered things out. The food was delivered fast, was very good and the price quite alright. Have been to other hotels with much higher prices.
All personell at the hotel were very friendly and helpful.
The gym was small but the equipment were modern and good.
We would gladly spend another vacation at this hotel and we recommend it to everybody.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled with family
Delft, The Netherlands
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2011

What a perfect resort!
We had a wonderful time and even 6 days of rain could not spoiled this. We stayed in a pool access room and that was amazing. Very comfortably rooms with everything in it, you can possibly wish for. The housekeeping girls (Tang and Kik) were adorable. Every employe was nice and always greeting. The pool indeed amazing and the beach clean and quiet. The restaurants were a bid disappointing but..... who cares....
Left from the resort there is a beach restaurant Farmai where you can eat good and very cheap.

The best resort we have ever stayed so far (and we stayed in a lot......) and we will certainly come back again. Again...... if heaven is somewhere....... it must be at The Marriott in Khao Lak.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
Houston, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2011

Which hotel you have stayed that made you feel like a princess?

I found it – JW Marriott Khao Lak Resort and Spa!

This luxury hotel is the best hotel I have ever stayed with. It is located 1.5 hour’s drive from Phuket International Airport and 15 minutes from Khao Lak Town. The only way you get to this hotel is by taxi or hotel shuttle – there is no public transport from Phuket Airport to this hotel.

There is a beautiful water fountain right in front of the hotel with at least 4 bell boys waiting to take your bags.

The lobby is gigantic – with a huge waiting area. There is a tour desk/concierge by the side that help the guest to make travel arrangement and to book free shuttle to Khao Lak town. The reception counter is located at the other side of the tour desk; with at least 3 friendly staff with a big smile on their face constantly - helping the guests. When I needed to take the free shuttle to Khao Lak town, they offered me a bottle of water while waiting for the driver!

The reception staff walked me to my room. One thing I have to mention though, this is such a huge property, walking to breakfast was a work out!

The room is huge and clean, all rooms has a private balcony with a swimming pool view. The king size bed was clean and comfortable. Although they had assigned 2 single beds for me ( my collogue supposed to come with me, but she stood me up last minute) I told the reception I was alone and would like to have just one bed – they gave me a king size bed! When I told them my flight was at 5pm, they immediately extended my check out time to 3pm! I hadn’t even opened my mouth!

Bathroom was huge – 2 sinks, 1 shower and 1 bathtub; not to mention the amenities – more then enough.

This hotel provides free wifi services and a flat screen TV in the room, a love seats and day bed in the room. There are also 2 “beach chairs” by the balcony.

The breakfast is served by the Waterfront restaurant with an amazing view of the Andaman Sea. The buffet breakfast was good with lots of variety. There were at least another 5 restaurants and 3 bars in the property however I did not get to try them.

The Quan Spa offers 30% discount from 10am – 3pm. The environment was relaxing and peaceful. I had a great time at Quan Spa. I got a half an hour complimentary Thai massage because they couldn’t arrange the shuttle to down town for me at the time I wanted – Gosh! I was a princess!

The room rate was not expensive considering the service and how luxury the hotel is. I will definitely go back to this hotel very soon.

Stayed June 2011, traveled solo
wisconsin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2011

This hotel is absolutely stunning. The rooms are large, clean, and comfortable. Housekeeping is excellent. The staff is polite, gracious, and beyond helpful. The grounds and *amazing* pool are impeccably clean and cared for.

Rooms come with included breakfast, which i did feel was perhaps a notch below the level of the hotel, but still very very good, and i am really grasping for something to be critical about here. Lunch and dinner were provided as part of a conference we were attending but that was all very good, too - a nice variety of thai, indian, and chinese dishes were available at these meals.

By far the most amazing feature of this hotel is the pool access from first floor rooms - you simply walk out of your patio door and have instant access to the 3K of pool network. What a treat!

The beach was stunningly beautiful and completely empty when I was there.

Take advantage of the many restaurant and massage stalls 50 yards north of the hotel boundary. The food was great and ultra cheap. The beachside massages cannot be beat - 300 baht ($10 USD) for a 60 minute full body massage!! Where else can you get this?? It isn't very private (at all) or upscale like a spa but who cares??

I completely recommend this hotel. It is at least 1 hour from Phuket airport, which may turn off some people, but it was absolutely fabulous.

Room Tip: Ask for a pool access room!
  • Stayed May 2011, traveled on business
New Zealand
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2011

Just got back from JW Marriot Khao Lak. Let me point out the most outstanding and valuable asset of JW Marriot Khao Lak. Firstly,this resort has the most amazing pools, it is 3.1 km long. There are 2 main pools which connected by a canal/river to all the pool access room. The water is clean and is being vacuumed daily when we were there. The next best thing is the resort ground. All kinds of trees and shrubs and flowers and palms are planted around the resort. Feels like a mini botanic. I had a great time looking at plants and lizards..........
As for the rest.....
The room is decent size, consists a king bed,which I found to be very comfy, a day bed and a chaise lounger, there are 2 more lounger on the good size balcony. Good size bathroom, our room's (4012) toilet has a strong sewage small, but my in-law (4011) is fine. So if you are sensitive with smell you might want to check it before unpacking your luggage.
Air-con is a bit on the noisy side. Apart from that, it a nice comfy room. Oh, the rain shower is fantastic and international plug point. No adapter. needed.

The restaurant..... we were there in low season, so only one or two restaurants were open during this time. Although the resort rotate the opening of different restaurant each night, we still feels a little stucked with food choice. The breakfast buffet is a ok, not great or super fresh, i.e. salad dressing is off, fresh fruits and cheese is covered with fruits flies., but the latte maciatto is very good. Food overall is not exciting or great. Just go to the Beau restaurant outside the resort on the beach, 4 dishes 2 drinks and a bottle of wine for 1400 baht, beat that.

The people..... I think they are good worker. I don't expect people to be overly nice or super friendly to me, but they have to be good at what they are doing. I think overall attitude here are all positive one, especially the low level service stuff. ( pool cleaner, room cleaner, night security stuff).We chatted to a few and they are friendly people.

Overall, we enjoyed our stay.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with family