“most amazing pool” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #5 of 60 Hotels in Khao Lak
New Zealand
“most amazing pool”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2011

Just got back from JW Marriot Khao Lak. Let me point out the most outstanding and valuable asset of JW Marriot Khao Lak. Firstly,this resort has the most amazing pools, it is 3.1 km long. There are 2 main pools which connected by a canal/river to all the pool access room. The water is clean and is being vacuumed daily when we were there. The next best thing is the resort ground. All kinds of trees and shrubs and flowers and palms are planted around the resort. Feels like a mini botanic. I had a great time looking at plants and lizards..........
As for the rest.....
The room is decent size, consists a king bed,which I found to be very comfy, a day bed and a chaise lounger, there are 2 more lounger on the good size balcony. Good size bathroom, our room's (4012) toilet has a strong sewage small, but my in-law (4011) is fine. So if you are sensitive with smell you might want to check it before unpacking your luggage.
Air-con is a bit on the noisy side. Apart from that, it a nice comfy room. Oh, the rain shower is fantastic and international plug point. No adapter. needed.

The restaurant..... we were there in low season, so only one or two restaurants were open during this time. Although the resort rotate the opening of different restaurant each night, we still feels a little stucked with food choice. The breakfast buffet is a ok, not great or super fresh, i.e. salad dressing is off, fresh fruits and cheese is covered with fruits flies., but the latte maciatto is very good. Food overall is not exciting or great. Just go to the Beau restaurant outside the resort on the beach, 4 dishes 2 drinks and a bottle of wine for 1400 baht, beat that.

The people..... I think they are good worker. I don't expect people to be overly nice or super friendly to me, but they have to be good at what they are doing. I think overall attitude here are all positive one, especially the low level service stuff. ( pool cleaner, room cleaner, night security stuff).We chatted to a few and they are friendly people.

Overall, we enjoyed our stay.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (474)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
malaysia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 6, 2011

great place,great people. i cant find any fault in anyway. wish to be back there soon

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple
Rockville
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 6, 2011

We have just returned from 8 nights at this hotel. The whole experience was wonderful, from the initial greeting when we arrived, with cold towels and drinks being offered, to our bags being collected and placed in the taxi when we left.

We were upgraded to a 'pool access' room, which was a real bonus, if we were to return, we would certainly go for this type of room again. The facilities in the room were in keeping with a 5-star property.

A lot has been said about the breakfast, I can only agree with most comments that a huge choice was offered, the 'smoothie bar' was a particular highlight! Everything we ate was fresh and delicious, plus we had the wonderful view out over the Andaman Sea.

We tried 'Olive' restaurant a couple of times, our meals were again delicious. The prices were in line with the class of hotel, the wine was quite expensive, but that was the case in the local restaurants as well.

We were lucky that the resort was very quiet, we had the pick of the loungers on the beach, no problems. There was the chance to order food and drinks on the beach as well - what a setting! One morning, some members of staff climbed one of the palm trees on the beach, cut down some coconuts, then promptly sliced them open and offered them to those of us on the beach!

The shuttle into the local town was we thought reasonable, actually working out cheaper than the cost of the taxis back.

The hotel was able to provide one of their vehicles for us for a half-day trip based on our own itinerary, again at a reasonable cost.

The 'Deli' cafe offered a range of soft drinks, beers, etc that you can buy and consume on the beach or in your room. Although cheaper than buying at the bar, they are still hugely more than expensive than the local 7-11, so make a trip there to stock up!

The service from all staff members was at all times exceptional. Warm and friendly, yet unobtrusive.

We would return to this hotel in a heart-beat!

Room Tip: Pool access room is a must.
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
Dahlenburg, Germany
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 5, 2011

We stayed at the marriott Khao Lak for 5 nights in May 2011, next year we are planning to stay longer.When we arrived we were met at reception and received a cold drink and cold cloth to cool us down then we were informed about the hotel and received a map of the resort which at first you need while the place is massive!we were then taken to our room which was amazing: big massive comfy bed with amazing pillows 2 big comfy sofas and bathroom with a great big bath although could"nt find a plug but the shower made up for that it was the best we have had in Thailand and this was our 8th time,also the balcony with 2 chairs and a great sofa to relax on was brilliant to sit there and enjoy a singha beer or two.The resort itself was so clean and tidy it was very well looked after with the swimming pool 3,3km long it winds through the resort but we did not even get to try it as the beach was excellent as we were there in May we could not say what its like in high season but they were plenty sun loungers for the resort at this time of year.The resort has 3 resturaunts Thai,Japanese and Mediterranean we only had dinner at the Thai rest which was very good with reasonable prices so we went back once more,the Japanese was a bit expensive but it looked very nice!.The resort itself is fairly secluded but on the beach to the left and right there are a few small resturaunts and bars we would recommend Andaman restaurant we had dinner there one night and went back every night for a few drinks and great fun with Narin and Tao.But back to the marriott if your looking for a hotel to relax or keep active well this is the place the facilities from tennis,squash.fitness centre,yoga classes,bike hire even when it rains there is always something to do.Allready looking forward to going back next year!!!

• Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
Melbourne, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 27, 2011

J W MARRIOT KHAO LAK

Firstly let me start by saying that we do not normally stay at large hotel chains – and if we do it would be Four Season or Ritz Carlton – so my review may be unfair in regard to this hotel in this category.

There is no doubt that this is a beautiful hotel. The pools as talked about are amazing and so are the gardens.

We choose this hotel for part of our week in Khao Lak as we hoped it would offer activities for our teenage sons and hopefully some company. Unfortunately the hotel was half empty so there was a lack of kids and activities.

The activities listed – like beach soccer, pool tournaments etc do not happen.

The rooms are excellent. Go for the pool access which are fantastic. Not having a seas view is more than compensated for by the view over the pool and gardens. We were in block 4. I think block 1 is the one with the garden access to the pools – and no steps. We certainly had steps for easy access from the pool. We actually started off in a duplex suite which was a huge disappointment. We went for it as it offered two rooms and two bathrooms however the bedroom is on a mezzanine so it is actually not two rooms – only two levels. The mezzanine floor has a very low ceiling and we found it stuffy and the air conditioning really loud – even when turned off as it must be part of a total hotel system. The low ceiling made it oppressive and there was not much room downstairs for chilling out in comfort as it has a dining table and chairs and an odd day bed. As we also had an extra bed it made the room pretty much unusable. The other rooms however were fantastic. Good space and furniture for relaxing and lovely veranda to sit out on by the water. So if travelling with teenagers I would certainly go for the two room option as opposed to the suite.

The bathrooms are lovely – although I don’t get the glass doors on the loo. May as well have no door.

We ate dinner at the hotel one night and although the food was VERY westernised it was Ok and for a 5 star hotel very good value for money.

We were lucky that the restaurants on the beach were open and we found MaMa Greeting excellent – some of the best food we had on our trip.

All the staff were excellent – the only exception being the girl who checked us in who had a distinct lack of personality. Not friendly and not a smile to pass her lips. (Please note she was European not Thai)

The breakfast has been raved about. I would say it was good but not great. There had heaps of variety but a few things were off putting. I have never seen poached eggs precooked and reheated before – maybe I don’t get out enough! Also the girl cooking the waffles had a pan under the waffles pan collecting the burnt butter/oil – it looked gross.

The other real problem I had was with the cleanliness of the main pool. It was full of debris, sand leaves etc. In a resort of this calibre this should have been sorted each morning. In our three days I did not see this part of the pool being cleaned once.

The tennis court, squash court, table tennis table, snooker table and gym were all great and they did not sting you each time you wanted to play.

As in all of Asia maintenance is an issue and while we were there they had closed down one block for refurbishment – so they are keeping on top of it. As the hotel is so large it is a major undertaking. It is the external areas that are showing some decay – the rooms are top notch.

I would also recommend they put sun shade sails over the children’s pool and play ground. When we were there no one used this area and I think the lack of shade had a lot to do with it.

Please note that the beach is very beautiful to walk along and loved the sound of the waves but it is very muddy and the water not clear. Also it is isolated but taxis are cheap.

Overall an excellent choice.

Room Tip: Go for pool access room
  • Stayed April 2011, traveled with family
Bangkok, Thailand
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 26, 2011

My first stay at this great hotel was during thai Songkran holidays. Though as it is with 5 Star resorts, you expect great service, clean rooms and a good rest. And I must say, it's all that. My personal preference would have been a boutique hotel but as we stayed with the mom, dad and my girlfriend, the Marriott Khao Lak is a great choice.

I especially enjoyed the huge pool that loops around the rooms like a venetian waterway. Instead of going for a walk on the property, you can go for a swim and be gone for 2 hours exploring... or swim from room to room... it's just amazing.

Breakfast has everything you desire, from thai to european food. The selection is grand... and so is the breakfast room. Go and choose a table outside in the shade so you have an even more relaxing time. (the breakfast room can be a bit noisy)

The walk from your room to the beach is a mere few minutes and brings you to a wonderfull safe beach with plenty of space, deck chairs and service from the boys tending the area.

I'd say it's a no-brainer if you like to splurge, choose this place and be guaranteed to wash away your stress and sorrows... we loved it.

Room Tip: choose a room with pool access for most fun.
  • Stayed April 2011, traveled with family
London
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 19, 2011

Stayed in a pool view room.
The service here was great. I could not fault it. Staff were very polite and helpful. From the people behind the front desk to the maintaince staff. Each person smiled and said "hello" or "good morning", which was so nice.

The room was very nice, although I did find some features in the bathroom a little worn or not best thought out. For example there seemed to be no way to use the plug hole in the bath tub. We looked and looked but couldn't find a lever to pull up or down. Also, the towel rail had sharp edges and I'd bumped into it a couple of times leaving a bruise. Also the wooden section on the sink seemed to be suffering from rot due, obviously, to water penetration.
Also, during our stay a balcony from a room down from us broke. So all the cushions were removed and signs went up on each balcony telling people not sit or lean on the balcony and that it was for decoration. Again, having seen the maintenance people removing rotten wood from said room. It looks like the elements had conspired against this design. What was frustrating is that we did not get the cushions back for the rest of the stay. But it's understandable why they removed them.

The pool has been described by many. However, some things I'll point out. The infinity pool, is not what I would describe as an infinity pool. Some of the spa jets didn't work. Also people moved the pool loungers around. I think staff should have discouraged this as it meant people taking towels and all sorts to loungers strewn around in the pool area. Also it seemed like half the hotel grounds were not being used/maintained. By this I mean that the childrens pool was not being used, the flowerbed, lawn area on that side of the hotel were not maintained and generally looked deserted, even though the actual rooms were. No idea why. But it then meant all the children were running aournd in the infinity pool area. Kids were up on the barstools at the pool bar leading to a less relaxed atmosphere. But there were areas to get away from this but not enough.

The beach is lovely, wide and not crowded and no hawkers who stayed on the periphery of the hotel. I did find that the loungers were a little too close together. So if you had someone smoking next to you there was no escape. Also, people were getting there as early as possible to claim the seafront loungers by leaving towels on them and then strolling over a couple of hours later after having breakfast, but this isn't the only place this happens..

Beach shacks are either side of the hotel. Though I should say that the food was definitely toned down for European palates.

The restaurants never quite lived up to expectations. The Mediterranean was pricey and really not up to standard, for example a vegetarian pizza included carrots, very odd. Also, it had live music which was very loud, meaning you couldn't hear each other talk. It would have been better to have background music say up until 10 and then turn it up for those that wanted to party. Didn't try the Japanese restaurant. Thai restaurant was again great in terms of service but not enough vegetarian choice and a little pricey given that there are beach shacks either side. The Deli was my favorite place, great shakes and sandwiches when you didn't want a large meal. Breakfast was a good choice of food but on the egg stations again not up to standard, fried eggs mostly overcooked, had to return it one day it was so overdone and portions of ingredients on omlettes was lacking.

Location was a major let down, although it didn't take long to get to town the cost was very high. 250 baht each way which equated to 5GBP + for a 15 minute journey, but being a captive market this seemed to be the going rate, which is a shame because it means we were less inclined to go to town. But then the hotel doesn't really want you to leave!

One thing I really liked about this hotel is the amount of facilities. Childcare, gym, Cisco IP Phones with a host of information (including games), wireless access everywhere (and I mean everywhere, even from your sunlounger) for free. Other hotels please take note. Newspapers, interenet access via large screen computers. Games area with pool table, air hockey. Brilliant.

What would I change? More quality control on the restaurants, especially, as I mentioned on the breakfast stations. Have an "international" style restaurant that is open throughout the day which is less formal but caters for all tastes and then up their game in the main restaurants, so food is less bland. Spread the sun loungers around the resort so there are more quiet areas to escape to rather than so many loungers at the beach. Open up the childrens pool so that pool bar area isn't off putting to those adults who are put off by exhuberant children. Tidy up the area around the childrens pool. Finally, provide more shuttle buses to town at more times and better rates.
Also, have a beach front bar, the sunsets were amazing but no where in the hotel to enjoy a drink and watch it. Biggest trick to have missed out on!

Overall the experience is good and I would stay again. If you want a relaxing place to get away from it all then this is great place for it. If you want to be near nightlife or say shopping and restaurants then not for you. Great for a family but maybe not so suitable for a honeymooning couple as I thought it a little less intimate.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to JW Marriott Khao Lak Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!