“Lovely Hotel” 4 of 5 stars

Melbourne, Australia
“Lovely Hotel”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 27, 2011

J W MARRIOT KHAO LAK

Firstly let me start by saying that we do not normally stay at large hotel chains – and if we do it would be Four Season or Ritz Carlton – so my review may be unfair in regard to this hotel in this category.

There is no doubt that this is a beautiful hotel. The pools as talked about are amazing and so are the gardens.

We choose this hotel for part of our week in Khao Lak as we hoped it would offer activities for our teenage sons and hopefully some company. Unfortunately the hotel was half empty so there was a lack of kids and activities.

The activities listed – like beach soccer, pool tournaments etc do not happen.

The rooms are excellent. Go for the pool access which are fantastic. Not having a seas view is more than compensated for by the view over the pool and gardens. We were in block 4. I think block 1 is the one with the garden access to the pools – and no steps. We certainly had steps for easy access from the pool. We actually started off in a duplex suite which was a huge disappointment. We went for it as it offered two rooms and two bathrooms however the bedroom is on a mezzanine so it is actually not two rooms – only two levels. The mezzanine floor has a very low ceiling and we found it stuffy and the air conditioning really loud – even when turned off as it must be part of a total hotel system. The low ceiling made it oppressive and there was not much room downstairs for chilling out in comfort as it has a dining table and chairs and an odd day bed. As we also had an extra bed it made the room pretty much unusable. The other rooms however were fantastic. Good space and furniture for relaxing and lovely veranda to sit out on by the water. So if travelling with teenagers I would certainly go for the two room option as opposed to the suite.

The bathrooms are lovely – although I don’t get the glass doors on the loo. May as well have no door.

We ate dinner at the hotel one night and although the food was VERY westernised it was Ok and for a 5 star hotel very good value for money.

We were lucky that the restaurants on the beach were open and we found MaMa Greeting excellent – some of the best food we had on our trip.

All the staff were excellent – the only exception being the girl who checked us in who had a distinct lack of personality. Not friendly and not a smile to pass her lips. (Please note she was European not Thai)

The breakfast has been raved about. I would say it was good but not great. There had heaps of variety but a few things were off putting. I have never seen poached eggs precooked and reheated before – maybe I don’t get out enough! Also the girl cooking the waffles had a pan under the waffles pan collecting the burnt butter/oil – it looked gross.

The other real problem I had was with the cleanliness of the main pool. It was full of debris, sand leaves etc. In a resort of this calibre this should have been sorted each morning. In our three days I did not see this part of the pool being cleaned once.

The tennis court, squash court, table tennis table, snooker table and gym were all great and they did not sting you each time you wanted to play.

As in all of Asia maintenance is an issue and while we were there they had closed down one block for refurbishment – so they are keeping on top of it. As the hotel is so large it is a major undertaking. It is the external areas that are showing some decay – the rooms are top notch.

I would also recommend they put sun shade sails over the children’s pool and play ground. When we were there no one used this area and I think the lack of shade had a lot to do with it.

Please note that the beach is very beautiful to walk along and loved the sound of the waves but it is very muddy and the water not clear. Also it is isolated but taxis are cheap.

Overall an excellent choice.

Room Tip: Go for pool access room

1,392 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (439)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Bangkok, Thailand
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 26, 2011

My first stay at this great hotel was during thai Songkran holidays. Though as it is with 5 Star resorts, you expect great service, clean rooms and a good rest. And I must say, it's all that. My personal preference would have been a boutique hotel but as we stayed with the mom, dad and my girlfriend, the Marriott Khao Lak is a great choice.

I especially enjoyed the huge pool that loops around the rooms like a venetian waterway. Instead of going for a walk on the property, you can go for a swim and be gone for 2 hours exploring... or swim from room to room... it's just amazing.

Breakfast has everything you desire, from thai to european food. The selection is grand... and so is the breakfast room. Go and choose a table outside in the shade so you have an even more relaxing time. (the breakfast room can be a bit noisy)

The walk from your room to the beach is a mere few minutes and brings you to a wonderfull safe beach with plenty of space, deck chairs and service from the boys tending the area.

I'd say it's a no-brainer if you like to splurge, choose this place and be guaranteed to wash away your stress and sorrows... we loved it.

Room Tip: choose a room with pool access for most fun.
London
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 19, 2011

Stayed in a pool view room.
The service here was great. I could not fault it. Staff were very polite and helpful. From the people behind the front desk to the maintaince staff. Each person smiled and said "hello" or "good morning", which was so nice.

The room was very nice, although I did find some features in the bathroom a little worn or not best thought out. For example there seemed to be no way to use the plug hole in the bath tub. We looked and looked but couldn't find a lever to pull up or down. Also, the towel rail had sharp edges and I'd bumped into it a couple of times leaving a bruise. Also the wooden section on the sink seemed to be suffering from rot due, obviously, to water penetration.
Also, during our stay a balcony from a room down from us broke. So all the cushions were removed and signs went up on each balcony telling people not sit or lean on the balcony and that it was for decoration. Again, having seen the maintenance people removing rotten wood from said room. It looks like the elements had conspired against this design. What was frustrating is that we did not get the cushions back for the rest of the stay. But it's understandable why they removed them.

The pool has been described by many. However, some things I'll point out. The infinity pool, is not what I would describe as an infinity pool. Some of the spa jets didn't work. Also people moved the pool loungers around. I think staff should have discouraged this as it meant people taking towels and all sorts to loungers strewn around in the pool area. Also it seemed like half the hotel grounds were not being used/maintained. By this I mean that the childrens pool was not being used, the flowerbed, lawn area on that side of the hotel were not maintained and generally looked deserted, even though the actual rooms were. No idea why. But it then meant all the children were running aournd in the infinity pool area. Kids were up on the barstools at the pool bar leading to a less relaxed atmosphere. But there were areas to get away from this but not enough.

The beach is lovely, wide and not crowded and no hawkers who stayed on the periphery of the hotel. I did find that the loungers were a little too close together. So if you had someone smoking next to you there was no escape. Also, people were getting there as early as possible to claim the seafront loungers by leaving towels on them and then strolling over a couple of hours later after having breakfast, but this isn't the only place this happens..

Beach shacks are either side of the hotel. Though I should say that the food was definitely toned down for European palates.

The restaurants never quite lived up to expectations. The Mediterranean was pricey and really not up to standard, for example a vegetarian pizza included carrots, very odd. Also, it had live music which was very loud, meaning you couldn't hear each other talk. It would have been better to have background music say up until 10 and then turn it up for those that wanted to party. Didn't try the Japanese restaurant. Thai restaurant was again great in terms of service but not enough vegetarian choice and a little pricey given that there are beach shacks either side. The Deli was my favorite place, great shakes and sandwiches when you didn't want a large meal. Breakfast was a good choice of food but on the egg stations again not up to standard, fried eggs mostly overcooked, had to return it one day it was so overdone and portions of ingredients on omlettes was lacking.

Location was a major let down, although it didn't take long to get to town the cost was very high. 250 baht each way which equated to 5GBP + for a 15 minute journey, but being a captive market this seemed to be the going rate, which is a shame because it means we were less inclined to go to town. But then the hotel doesn't really want you to leave!

One thing I really liked about this hotel is the amount of facilities. Childcare, gym, Cisco IP Phones with a host of information (including games), wireless access everywhere (and I mean everywhere, even from your sunlounger) for free. Other hotels please take note. Newspapers, interenet access via large screen computers. Games area with pool table, air hockey. Brilliant.

What would I change? More quality control on the restaurants, especially, as I mentioned on the breakfast stations. Have an "international" style restaurant that is open throughout the day which is less formal but caters for all tastes and then up their game in the main restaurants, so food is less bland. Spread the sun loungers around the resort so there are more quiet areas to escape to rather than so many loungers at the beach. Open up the childrens pool so that pool bar area isn't off putting to those adults who are put off by exhuberant children. Tidy up the area around the childrens pool. Finally, provide more shuttle buses to town at more times and better rates.
Also, have a beach front bar, the sunsets were amazing but no where in the hotel to enjoy a drink and watch it. Biggest trick to have missed out on!

Overall the experience is good and I would stay again. If you want a relaxing place to get away from it all then this is great place for it. If you want to be near nightlife or say shopping and restaurants then not for you. Great for a family but maybe not so suitable for a honeymooning couple as I thought it a little less intimate.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple
Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 18, 2011

This hotel is excellent if you're looking for a quiet, relax holiday in Thailand.
The room is big and with comfortable bed and huge bathroom.
The hotel itself was very nice with pool surrounding the hotel and it's private beach.
Food was ok not so great. There are a few restaurants in the hotel. Breakfast was excellent but dinner and lunch quite average. You can rent a moped and go to the town centre for food but even for me the food in town was not that nice, maybe because it's a small town.
Service was great, staff was friendly and helpful.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple
Nonthaburi, Thailand
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2011

If you’re seeking a full relaxation or a great getaway to recharge yourself, then JW Marriott Resort and Spa at Khao Lak, Pang Nga is the choice not to be missed.

The resort is situated in a secluded area with beautiful beach and sensational long winding pool, a total length of 3 km. with varying depth from 1.3 – 1.6 m. (a good walking exercise for those with knee osteoarthritis). The lagoon-shaped pool winds along the 5 wings of the resort, hence guest rooms on ground levels are all pool accessible.
Besides superb room amenities, JW Khao Lak offers almost all round services for guests to enjoy, from fun-filled kids club to well functional fitness centre to the soothing Quan Spa. One feature that is outstanding from other resorts is the free internet access in guest rooms and throughout the resort!

Various house restaurants offer delicious cuisine but to top it all is the Waterfront where ample buffet breakfast is served daily from 06.30-10.30 hrs, including live cooking stations and smoothies mixed to your choice. However, if you need to try something local and at cheaper prices, there’re many beach eateries on both left and right sides of the resort. I’d recommend Tew Son on the right side (facing the sea), great food at good prices.

Resort staffs that we encountered from executive level down to drivers are efficient, caring, and well mannered with great service minds. From my observation, they offer the same quality services to both foreign and local guests alike.
My husband and my two grown up children as well as myself had a wonderful time at the resort. It was indeed a quality family time that we rarely have, once returned to each busy working life in Bangkok.

Personal Impression: I have health issues. Upon confirming my arrival/flight details, I also relayed to the resort about my conditions and preferences. I was a bit worried that they might think of me as a fussy customer. On the contrary, they did appreciate all the details I gave in advance so they could arrange the best room possible to suit my conditions. Through exchange of emails, I could sense their eagerness in trying their best to make my stay at the resort a memorable and enjoyable one. And they did!!!

Room tips: The following tips are for pool access rooms only (all deluxe rooms are on upper floors of each wing).
- Family with young kids should request for a room in wings 3-4-5, with safety glass door on the patio.
- All pool access rooms in wings 3-4-5 have steps into the pool; but swimmers passing by your room can see inside if curtains are not closed.
- If privacy is your theme, then request for a room in wings 1-2. Instead of steps directly into the pool, there’s a small garden between the patio and the pool. (See photos)

Cons:
- Quite distant from the airport; takes about 1.30 hrs from either Krabi or Phuket airports.
- Far from town; this might matter to someone who loves the night life.
- No elevator service; it’s understandable since the resort has low rise buildings (2-3 floors). Buggy service is available to transport guests from building to building but for those who stay in deluxe rooms, going up and down the stairs is not conducive to mobility-impaired persons.

Unless mobility becomes a serious issue, I would love to experience the wonderful time again.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled with family
Belfast, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2011

The service in this hotel last summer was fabulous so we have rebooked for this year and are bringing along another family through our recommendations. We have never returned to the same place before - believing there is so much more to see but didn't find anywhere to beat our experience so are returning. The large resort makes you feel you are the only people there and our children believed the lazy river was their own! Loved the pool access rooms and superb room service with all the little extra 5 star touches. We have travelled all over and have not bettered the treatment, service and welcome we got here. (we are travelling from Ireland so are prepared to take quite a few flights to get to this lovely place) Our children enjoyed the smoothie station at breakfast and staff learned our children's names and preferences quickly. The beds are huge and pillows fantastic - we actually bought four to bring home! Thank goodness our flights were business so we hadn't luggage difficulties. The eateries and massage stations on the beach are very clean, tasty and great value. We were wary to begin with but they are spotless and offer a wide range of menus from tiny huts! Super smiley staff were really friendly and even deferential so can't understand previous reviewer finding them otherwise. We were there 19 days so can be pretty certain this was the norm. Can 't wait till this year's break.

Room Tip: Definitely recommend pool access room-fantastic!
  • Stayed July 2010, traveled with family
Sydney - Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 1, 2011

Had a great stay here during XMas 2010.

The food is good, the beach is great and the pool/s in the resort are amazing - free WiFi covers nearly the entire resort grounds.

Staff are friendly and always cheerful.

Went there for a relaxing time and found it...happy days.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled as a couple

Been to JW Marriott Khao Lak Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!