Don't get me wrong, this is a beautiful hotel. Beautiful beach, beautiful gardens. very well maintained. The swimming pool is quality. The staff was always very nice, friendly and smiley. A lot of games to play (water polo, petanque, football, voleyball, beach rackets. All can be borrowed for free). The hotel is very well managed in the sense that it didn't seem very full although it was about 97% full. However a few things could be improved:
1) Rooms. The rooms' furnitures are a bit old. Some drawers wouldn't really close and the main bay window was nearly impossible to close without using a lot of strenght and making quite a lot of noise (room 315 - premium room)
2) Beach set up: They should really separate the smokers from the non smokers. This hotel has won many awards including quite a few for 'best family resort' and you see a LOT of toddlers and babies and yet you see 2 or 3 people smoking right next to new born babies and toddlers. This should never happen.
3) Experience dining: I had to go back to the reception and confirm it 5 different times before it was booked! The staff was clueless and really unhelpful. Lack of training more than anything else. They all tried to help and were very friendly, but they were all useless. I chose a menu that was supposed to come with 'white snapper cooked in banana leaf' and 'garlic bread' but it never came. When I asked about it the staff casually told me they had no fish on that day and they compensated it by giving us more lobsters. I assume it was true as the portion was more than generous but I find it a shame to pay nearly 18,000 THB for a dinner and not be told beforehand.
The dinner itself was very good and it was a great experience...but the booking part and the menu change kind of spoiled the magic.
3) SPG Status is usless in this hotel. I have been a platinum member for over 3 years and stayed about 180 nights with Starwoods since 2008 but i was treated like i was a first timer. Starwoods usually knows how to make the difference (room upgrade, letter upon arrival, even just a greating like 'welcome back', a basket of fruit in the room...always a little something) in this hotel - and this is not the first time i hear this - they don't seem to care at all. They even refused to add the points to my card as I booked this trip under a 'different rate'.
Even more troubling, i booked 3 rooms about 5 months ago and we were not able to have the 3 rooms next to each other. Something more annoying is that I booked one of the room with twin beds but was given a king bed. The staff wasn't able to help me change so my brother and sister had to sleep in the same bed for the 7 nights.
4) I recommend you do your laundry and have your lunches and dinners in the little beach shack which is on the left side of the beach. The food is excellent. The service very good and you'd pay 1/3 of what you'd pay in the hotel. Beers, Ice cream, food, taxi service, organised tours and trips...you basically just have to walk for 3 minutes on the beach to have everything a third of the price. It was great.
This review is the subjective opinion of a TripAdvisor member and not of TripAdvisor LLC.
Report response as inappropriate
Thank you for your review and for bringing up the issues you have encountered during your stay. Please accept my sincere apologies for the inconveniences caused, especially with your Dining experience and the rooms assignment. I will look into all the points mentioned in your review and rectify these problems with my team immediately.
I am so sorry for not been able to provide you an upgrade on this stay, we have a limited amount of suite and were all occupied due to the high occupancy We very much value Starwood loyal customer and I sincerely apologise if we didn’t meet your expectations.
Once again many thanks for your feedbacks and we hope there will be another opportunity to welcoming you back again.
Executive Assistant Manager
This response is the subjective opinion of the management representative and not of TripAdvisor LLC.