We were lucky to be allocated room 1 overlooking the lake, and waking upto zebra, waterbuck and a curious ostrich at the window. There was only 1 other guest (although a large group of Germans arrived the next day). Accomodation was lovely and clean- the lodge is an older property which adds character. Electricity 24hours and good hot shower. The grounds and gardens are delightful and green haven after the grasslands in the dry season. We were served meals on the lawn and a chimenea lit by our table for dinner. Food was good for Tanzania- delicious steak with peppercorn sauce. The breakfast was best we had during our stay- a large welcome plate of fresh fruit, folowed by English breakfast ingredients of choice- and croissants, breads, jams etc which we couldn't manage.
Staff were extremely helpful- and cannot agree with other comments regarding hanging around for tips. There is a communal tip box at Reception (as found throughout Tanzania) and individual tipping we witnessed here, and throughout our stay was at the instigation of guests, not staff (one lodge requested guests NOT to tip individually, as communal tips enable those staff 'behind the scenes' who contribute to your stay to be rewarded too.) We went on the free walk around Usa River village with Frank. A great 2 hours which gave us good insight into everyday life in the local community. We wish we had stayed at this lodge when we arrived, as we could have given the educational materials we brought to the orphanage/school in the village, which is doing great work with local children.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Mount Meru Game Lodge & Sanctuary is located within 33 acres of mature, well manicured gardens bounded on one side by the tranquil waters of the Usa River and on the other by the private Sanctuary where our wildlife and birdlife reside. This wildlife and birdlife provide many of our guests with their first exciting game viewing experience. The Mount Meru Game Sanctuary was established in 1960 and over the course of the last half a century and more has received rescued animals from the wild. Normally either injured or orphaned, the sanctuary's first priority is always to rehabilitate these animals and to return them to their natural habitat. In cases where this is not possible, they are released into the sanctuary grounds where, joined by an enormous variety of birdlife, they are able to enjoy the unique freedom offered by our very safe environment. By choosing to stay with us, our guests play a very important role in helping these animals since the activities of the sanctuary are financed entirely by the lodge. Mount Meru Game Lodge is extremely fortunate to receive daily visits from troops of Black & White Colobus Monkeys. The lodge has a total of 15 double or twin en-suite bedrooms and 2 suites. The design and character of the rooms are as individualistic as the Lodge itself. The 'Mount Kilimanjaro' and 'Mount Meru' suites are located in their own private garden overlooking the game sanctuary. Each has an open plan lounge and bedroom area as well as a private garden gazebo where you can sit, relax and soak up the unique atmosphere of the Lodge. Each suite also has its own fireplace which can be used on chilly evenings and the Mount Meru Suite has an adjoining room making it ideal for families with children. The main building of the lodge consists of a reception area, lounge and bar. The lounge, with its enormous picture windows and comfortable furniture, provides for relaxation in intimate surroundings. The bar is well stocked with a wide selection of spirits, beers and minerals which are complemented by a carefully selected collection of wines. To the front of the main building is a terrace which is shaded by enormous old Mango trees and which enjoys magnificent views over mature, carefully tended gardens to the Sanctuary beyond. In the grounds of the lodge can be found an 'outdoor dining room' which consists of a garden, a covered patio and a small open plan kitchen where meals are prepared. The garden with its camp fire allows our guests to dine under the African star-lit sky whilst listening to the exotic night sounds. FREE WiFi is available to all visitors in the Lodges' public areas. Throughout its long history, the lodge & sanctuary have been a popular stop over for many VIP's and Government visitors. Various Presidents of African countries, celebrities, entrepreneurs and members of European Royal families have stayed with us. The management and staff of Intimate Places therefore look forward to welcoming you to Mount Meru Game Lodge & Sanctuary in a time-honoured tradition. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Travelocity, Booking.com, Hotels.com and Despegar.com so you can book your Mount Meru Game Lodge & Sanctuary reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Mount Meru Game Lodge & Sanctuary Hotel Arusha
- Mount Meru Game Lodge And Sanctuary
- Mount Meru Game Arusha