“Home away from Home !” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Arusha Hotel

You added The Arusha Hotel to your Saves list
The Arusha Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Clocktower Roundabout | Corner of Uhuru Road, Arusha 00, Tanzania   |
Ranked #11 of 35 Hotels in Arusha
Gurgaon, India
“Home away from Home !”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2012

This hotel ensures that you take fond memories, home ! The best located hotel in Arusha. The beautiful gardens of the hotel are an excellent peek in to the vast virgin nature that beholds you in the oncoming safaris. The friendly team at the hotel complements its rich heritage. You could have some great coffee and conversations in the colonial styled lounge. The rooms are comfortably done up and spread over well landscaped gardens. Truly, the heart of Arusha !

Room Tip: Ask for garden facing rooms or rooms in the new wing.
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
ArushaArusha, Director of Sales at The Arusha Hotel, responded to this review, September 19, 2012
Dear Sir/Madam,
Thank you for your kind words and your appreciation of the gardens. In fact as I am typing this response, I can hear the birds tweeting in the background - just beyond the office! We are just preparing to plant some more vegetables in the garden, so that we'll have an abundance of fresh produce to serve in the coming months at the restaurant. I will pass on your comments to our head gardener Paulo and his team. I hope you enjoyed the rest of your trip in Tanzania and we look forward to welcoming you back soon.
Warm regards
Nick Ladd

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (55)
  • Polish first
Malibu, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2012

Four times I have stayed here before and after climbs of Kilimanjaro. It is always great. You are always greeted warmly and you feel like a friend and not a visitor. The staff bends over backwards to take care of any request. Late gear checks (2 am!- 'No worries, we'll get the lights!'), a much needed late check-out, free wi-fi, coffee or drinks served anywhere, etc., etc. Nothing has ever been stolen from my bags or room even when stored for weeks at a time. It may not be the newest but I would trade that in for the familiar feel and friendly and helpful staff.

Room Tip: New building is nice- ask for one with a view of the pool.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
Nairobi
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2012 via mobile

What heritage and pity its not livin it up. U want a nice big hotel opt for Meru instead and if u want to go cozy there is the Bay leaf.
Food was just ok! Service in the rooms takes forever esp if odd hrs or ur room is far.
They need to know that like this they fall into the category of their various neighbors. Top dollar should get me better value.

• Stayed August 2011
Dear Sir/Madam,
Thank you for the comments. I am so sorry to hear that we failed to meet your expectations on this occasion - especially in terms of service. As a colonial style hotel, set in tropical gardens - we want to make every guest stay a special one. Slow room service is something that I am saddened to hear about. I will make the necessary inquiries and use your feedback as a guide to help us make specific improvements in service. I hope that you will give us the opportunity to exceed your expectations on a future stay with us.
Again thank you for your comments - they have been taken up by the management team and the service issue is being addressed.
Warm regards
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2012

Check in was cumbersome. Rooms were old. The hotel allowed smoking in the rooms so that corridors were stale with tobacco. A communal iron and ironing board, non working phone lines and two hour late wake up calls made mornings on this business trip a big challenge. The hotel has clearly seen better days and for a centrally located hotel that is a popular tourist stop, they need to pull up their socks as they are facing quite stiff competition from nearby boutique hotels that cater better to both business and leisure guests. The Arusha hotel had a beautiful garden the care of which should be reflected in the interior of the hotel.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
Dear Sir/ Madam,
Thank you for your comments. Your comments have been taken on board by the management team here and are being addressed. With regards to smoking, The Arusha Hotel has allocated selected rooms on the 5th floor as smoking rooms only. Those rooms have balconies and can also be easily aired. The rooms on all the other seven floors are strictly non-smoking. On your next visit, we will ensure you are accommodated accordingly - and I do apologize that we failed to do so on this occasion. Ironing boards and irons can be delivered to guests room by our 24 hour housekeeping department. Again, I apologize that this wasn't done. Finally, I was shocked to hear that your wake up call was 2 hours late. This is a failure that we take very seriously indeed and rest assured that steps have been taken to ensure that this is addressed. I can fully appreciate how infuriating it would have been not to have received a wake up call - and the possible ramifications thereof. At the Arusha Hotel - our commitment is to providing each guest with the best possible service throughout their stay - anything less than perfection is not good enough. Thank you for your taking the trouble to highlight where we failed to meet those expectations. We are addressing them accordingly.
Wilmington, Delaware
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2012

My friends and I used the Arusha hotel as sort of a "base camp" between our Kilimanjaro climb and safari. The hotel is conveniently located in the center of town and within walking distance of a few restaurants and bars. The staff was very friendly and our room was always clean. The bar was good fun but the prostitutes that frequent it are annoying and unwanted. For the price I would expect a little better food. I understand this is Africa but they may just serve the worse burger on the entire planet. Breakfast was nice and the fresh juices were lovely first thing in the morning. Overall, this is a hotel that is slightly above average that I would consider staying at again.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with friends
Dear Sir/Madam,
Firstly, I hope you had a great climb. I haven't managed to do the climb myself yet but it's on my list. At the hotel, we now offer a free beer at the Hatari bar to all groups and individuals returning from a successful climb of Mt Kilimanjaro.
I note your comments about some 'undesirables' who were frequenting the bar. Since your review, we have taken steps to identify such visitors to the bar and now eject them. Soliciting within the hotel premises is not permitted. We have recently launched a new 'live music' night at the Hatari bar - which has created a really warm and more sophisticated vibe. This Thursday we have a classical Spanish guitarist and vocalist performing. We are also soon to welcome Nakaaya Sumari - one of east Africa's most loved vocalists - who will be presenting our 'live at the Hatari" events every Thursday. In October 25th, Nakaaya Sumari will be performing live in concert in the grounds - so there's plenty to look forward to here at the Arusha Hotel.
With regards to dining, I am sorry to hear that your burger was so awful. I like burgers myself and will make a point of dealing with this issue with the chef directly. On your next visit, I hope you will be singing the praises of our burgers instead!
Thank you for your helpful comments and I hope to welcome you back to the Arusha Hotel again - perhaps to climb Mount Meru?
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2012

We stayed at The Arusha Hotel for our first night in Africa, everyone was very friendly, the rooms are small but decorated in a nice way. The only real criticism I have is that the shower and cubicle for the shower was very dirty. Other than that the food was good, the buffet breakfast was nice and the atmosphere of the hotel was good too. As we only needed to rest our heads this hotel was perfect, however if we had been looking for luxury this hotel would not have been the right one.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
, General Manager at The Arusha Hotel, responded to this review, July 2, 2012
Dear Weddinghunter

Thank you for your review and for your kind comments on the food and service at The Arusha Hotel, we certainly believe that good food and service is at the heart of a positive guest experience and that we always endeavor to provide this to our VALUED GUESTS. However we also take pride in providing a high standard of cleanliness and comfort in our guest bedrooms, therefore it is of concern to read your comment on the dirty shower and cubicle! I would be very interested to find out which room you were staying as the only rooms with bathrooms having a separate shower are our executive rooms, which are by no means small. I would greatly appreciate it if you could contact me on my email address below with further details so that I may address this issue and by return I can also tell you of our exciting plans for the near future.

John Cowan
gm@thearushahotel.com
boston
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2012

2-3 star hotel pretending to be 5 star hotel! Main hotel renovated but noisy from the nightclub or street; room safe didn't work, forget the towels one day. Some front desk staff great (Sarah) others totally indifferent. Annex (500's rooms) is shabby. Expensive for what you get, nickel and dime you for everything else, even the hotel driver, Martin, tried to rip us off!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled solo
, General Manager at The Arusha Hotel, responded to this review, July 2, 2012
Dear charlielucky

It is of great concern to read your comments in your review of The Arusha Hotel. Firstly may I respond by saying that we certainly do not advertise ourselves as a 5* hotel. We are a 4* hotel that offers certain 5* services such as 24hour room service, 24hour food and beverage service in lounge and public areas and same day laundry services. With regards to your other comments I would greatly appreciate an email providing me with further detail so that I may address the issues that you feel fell short of expectations and by return I can let you know of our exciting plans for the hotel in the near future.

Your sincerely

John Cowan
gm@thearushahotel.com

Been to The Arusha Hotel? Share your experiences!