“The Arusha hostel lodge and Adventures” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Arusha Hostel Lodge & Adventures (AHLA)

You added Arusha Hostel Lodge & Adventures (AHLA) to your Saves list
Arusha Hostel Lodge & Adventures (AHLA)
Ngulelo, Arusha, Tanzania   |
Ranked #25 of 79 Specialty Lodging in Arusha
Waterville Valley, New Hampshire, United States
“The Arusha hostel lodge and Adventures”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 14, 2014

The hostel is very rustic but Justin's hospitality makes up for the more primitive setting. The Arusha Adventure piece must be the best the Kilimanjaro world has to offer. We felt safe and justin made certain that the guides he hires are the very best in the business. The food provided was extrodiary and we were mentally supported throughout the entire trek. The guide that was hired to bring on on Safari had extensive knowledge of all that we were seeing and visiting.
Don't be fooled by the low cost. No expense is spared to insure that the Arusha experience will be one you will cherish for a lifetime.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family

Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
Montreal, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 8, 2014

I am a Canadian student from Montreal I climbed kilimanjaro with AHLA in june 2013 with a bunch of friends. I can honestly say it was a fantastic experience with stellar service at a great price! We all had a truly unforgettable experience. They cook all your food (delicious) for you on the mountain and get you all jacked up every morning with songs and dance with the porters, moments I'll never forget. Their number one goal is your success in the climb with regard to your health, of course. We got to be friends with our guides, Ask for Justin he's a great guy. From the moment we left the airport they took care of us. I will go back to tanzania as soon as I can get outa school all thanks to the great time they gave me, and I know I speak for My whole group

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
Pokhara, Nepal
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2014

Having stayed several times at this hostel, I can hand-on-heart say it is the best stay you will have in Arusha. Not only are you greeted with the most majestic views of the city landscape and endless skies, you will be given the warmest welcome by the owner, Justin; a man who will make every element of your stay a success. You cannot beat this place for friendly vibes, excellent company, unrivaled views and beautiful accommodation - a must stay in Arusha for any traveller.
(To get those views, you have to climb hills - that goes without saying - but this is one hill definitely worth the climb.)

Room Tip: Beautiful new bungalows with views out across the hills are well worth a look at; or stay in the mai...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
Richmond, Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2013

I stayed at AHLA the night before my hike to Kilimanjaro and the night after. The rooms are nice and the beds are comfortable. The lodge has a wonderful view of the entire city of Arusha, especially at night. It was a cozy, quiet place to say. It's a bit outside of the city center so it wasn't as noisy as some of the other lodges I've stayed at. Hot water is available in the morning and afternoon for showers and although their is a cut off of power after a certain time it usually happened after I was asleep anyway at around 11:30 or 12.
AHLA arranged my hike to Kilimanjaro and it was an incredible experience. The team of porters and guides that Justin (the owner) arranged were amazing. So warm, friendly and welcoming and always concerned with my health and how I was doing along the way. Every morning they would sing to me to cheer me on for the days hike. No other company on the mountain did that. On the worst days this helped me push through. After I made it to Uhuru peak they baked me a cake in the middle of one of our camp sites with nothing but a few ingredients and a small flame. I have no idea how they did it but it was the sweetest gesture and no other company did that. I could not have been more safe this this group of champion porters, guides and the cook. One of the greatest experiences of my life. I paid a fraction of the cost of what I would have paid for other companies and got so much more than I could have ever imagined. If you are looking for a company to climb Kili, look no further. AHLA is the only option.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
Cape Town, Western Cape, South Africa
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2013

My finance' and I stayed at this location for 7 nights.The trek up a mountain following 12hrs on a bus was not good news and in the dark is bloody dangerous. The host/owner Justin was pleasant enough, but frankly that is all that can be said about this place. The photographs do represent a true picture of the accommodation. There were initially no hot showers because he had no hot water boiler. Then when he did get a boiler, if Justin was not about as he frequently was not, then there was no hot water. The accommodation does not have 24 hr security and Justin will go off leaving the property UN-attended so if there is no guest about, then the property is open to be robbed. I had to chase off two youths who were looking to enter the property. When I took this up with Justin, he seemed disinterested. The property runs on solar power (a good green credential there), but there is in-sufficient battery power to accommodate all the guests staying there, so of an evening you end up sitting in the dark with headlamps on. Justin's flat mate made my finance' feel very much on edge with his constant glaring at her and eventually we decided to leave early because of this and his constant walking in and turning off the available power to the guests. I have to say, this was not a pleasant stay and I would advise people not to stay here. I have read the previous reviews on this accommodation and I frankly do not believe they are true or accurate. Justin, a would of advice, you are a young man trying to make a go of things and I admire you for that, but you must represent your property accurately.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
San Jose, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2013

I will never forget the night I arrived in Arusha, sitting on Justin's deck drinking a Kilimanjaro, in awe of the number of stars in the sky and the lovely African music wafting up from somewhere down the hill. This is Africa. Justin was our host for our trek up Kilimanjaro and he additionally organized a safari for me. Both of these experiences were run so smoothly and were staffed with professional, knowledgeable people who were also kind and fun. It was the guides , porters and chefs on our Kili adventure that made this trip so enjoyable. We were cared for, well fed and skillfully led to the top of that amazing mountain, arriving precisely at sunrise on our summit morning. Glorious experience greatly enhanced by Justin and his team. In addition, I took a four day safari in advance of our trek. My driver/guide Ibrahim was a joy to be around and skillful at ferreting out the big 5 (and many others). Everything was handled professionally and efficiently. Again, the service, food and camaraderie made my trip unforgettable. I will never forget my four days in the bush with Ibrahim and Dodo.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Boston
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2013

Starting from the 3:30 AM pickup at the airport to the end of our stay in Arusha, Justin and his team delivered first class service. In addition to arranging a 3-day, 2-night safari, with lodging in superior hotels, he helped us to get a SIM card for our phone (even going to a different vendor when he felt the first one was trying to rip us off), took us to at least two ATMs when we had trouble with our bank cards, took us shopping at a local grocery store for water and snacks (not included in safari) where prices were lower and suggested the best restaurant to go to in Arusha. The great service continued even after we returned from the safari, and he had already received his money. I can't say enough good things about Justin. You won't be disappointed.

For the safari, our guide, Ibrahim, was excellent. He's been guiding/driving for over 15 years and still showed amazing enthusiasm and interest. His eyes would dart back and forth looking for things of interest. He identified both flora and fauna and we were able to see just about everything (the leopard was too elusive). After the day's touring, he made sure we were settled into our room for the evening and that everything was OK for us. His english is excellent. On the final day, we had a long drive back to Arusha and I knew that he wanted to get started back on the road to avoid driving at night, but he let us stay a bit longer when we were able to get some good views of lions. It was dark by the time we returned to Arusha and the ride was a bit treacherous due to the road conditions, unlit bicycles, pedestrians, cattle crossings, etc., but Ibrahim did a great job getting us back safely. Ask for Ibrahim when booking your tour. You won't be disappointed.

Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Arusha Hostel Lodge & Adventures (AHLA)? Share your experiences!