“Comfortable hotel to recover between safaris” 4 of 5 stars

5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Nairobi - Moshi Road Sekei Area, Arusha 2673, Tanzania   |
Ranked #8 of 36 Hotels in Arusha
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Adelaide, Australia
“Comfortable hotel to recover between safaris”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2014

We stayed at the Mount Meru hotel for one night before our safari then another night at the end of the safari. Although the surrounding town isn't appealing the hotel itself is quite splendid and is surrounded by well maintained gardens and enormous lawns that would do justice to a wedding of any size.

Our twin room was comfortable but not spacious. The main issue was the shower which didn't have a curtain or door which meant the surrounding floor became quite wet and needed towels to soak up excess water. We were on the first floor which meant noise from ground floor music entertainment could be heard during the evening. Fortunately the noise didn't continue too late into the evening.

Our stay included a reasonable buffet dinner with outstanding soup, and an adequate buffet breakfast which was nothing special. Tasty pizzas which were also available poolside where they were cooked while we waited. Bar staff were very obliging and helped carry pizzas and drinks to our room.

Front desk experiences were quite annoying during each of our stays, regardless of which staff members were on duty. Although I waited patiently for my turn, I felt like a second class citizen because my assisting staff member would allow other guests to interrupt out of turn, would answer the phone immediately as a priority, and would constantly interact with other staff members for tasks that had nothing to do with me. Consequently I wasted a considerable amount of time at that desk because my dealings were treated with less importance than those of others around me. I learned that my fastest contact with the desk was best done by phone rather than in person. But even that system wasn't perfect because our important early morning wake up call lodged by phone through the desk came 10 minutes late the following morning.

George, the concierge, deserves a special mention for the great assistance he provided by checking our flight times with the airport then making several phone calls to track down our driver because we desperately needed to change our morning pick up time. Once again, George, Thank you ever so much.

Room Tip: Higher floors are further away from restaurants and might perhaps be more shielded from entertainmen...
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (94)
  • Turkish first
Luanda
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2014

The hotel is very conveniently located in Arusha, near a golf course. The rooms are comfortable and clean. However, the service is quite poor. My checkin took one hour at 3 AM! They refuse to lend power adaptors. They charge 3% if you pay with a credit card.

• Stayed May 2014
Yorkshire Dales National Park, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2014

We did not stay at this luxury hotel, but used the pool and restaurant whilst volunteering locally.
Thursday and Friday nights are happy hour where it's two for one on drinks and this makes it affordable.
We paid 15,000TSh to use the pool (I presume you could spend a day there for this)
The most expensive, but the best hotel pool we found in Arusha, it had a beautiful setting in the grounds with a great view of Meru. There was a pool bar too, but we didn't use this.
Towels are provided, but on both occasions I had to ask for them, and they were small and tatty - not what I'd expect for luxury, but maybe they save the decent ones for hotel guests....
The showers were fine, although I didn't manage to find a locker without housekeeping equipment or rubbish in!

Stayed May 2014, traveled solo
Baltimore
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2014

Overall -- room was great! Typical high-end room with very nice bathroom (praise be to the porcelain toilet after a safari! LOL!). Pretty grounds. Nice place to repack, walk around, do a little shopping in the gift shop, clean up, etc.

But here's what weird -- and that's the food choice. The day room includes a "snack" in the coffee shop. It's called a "snack" because you can order anything from the "snack" menu -- which basically sandwiches and burgers. However, the timing and food don't quite go together for someone being picked up to go to the airport at 4:30 or so. We'd already had a large, lovely lunch when we arrived. So our guide suggested that we have our snack packed to take to the airport -- great idea!

However, most of the selections are hot sandwiches, accompanied by "chips" -- which I forgot meant French fries. Yes -- I ordered the food at 2:30 and it was ready by 4 -- no problem. But really, who wants to eat a hot sandwich and fries two hours later? I asked if I could get something like peanut butter and jelly (really), and they just looked at me like I was a lunatic! LOL!

The sandwich was OK, and of course the fries when into the trash. But it seems to me that a hotel catering to people who are flying out that evening would figure out a decent sandwich combination for their "box" snacks. Or at least, when they box it, put in bagged chips, not fries, or coleslaw (which they had omitted at my request). Or put in a banana. Anything that will easily keep for a couple of hours. That's really my only suggestion!

Room Tip: DEFINTELY order your food well in advance. We had received that advice from our tour company, and t...
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Mombasa, Coast, Kenya
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2014

Went for a business meeting in Arusha and spent the night here.Check in swift,ambience great,meals with variety and rooms comfy.The hotel is not far from the CBD on the way to the Mount Kilimanjaro Int Airport.The downside: service can sometimes be a bit clumsy;I ordered ciggarretes room service while checking in and when cigarettes were brought(after an hour) I was told I had to be transferred to another smoking room on a different floor.Something that could easily have been done at check in time as that was also the time I ordered cigarrettes.All in all the hotel was great.

Room Tip: choose the rear rooms facing golf course.nice view
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
Sydney Olympic Park, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2014

An oasis of comfort in the middle of a 26 day safari across 2 countries. Great quality rooms, exceptionally good staff. I needed a doctor for a migraine and they arranged a doctors visits to my room. Great restaurant, pool is a lovely way to spend a day of relaxation - every service you could want and staff pleasant and helpful. Loved my all too brief stay here. Recommend to anyone.

Room Tip: I wasn't there long enough to use spa or fitness so can't comment. Ask for a room with a vi...
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled with friends
Citrus Heights, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 6, 2014

As far as a place to stay before flying back home, this was okay. They took our food order to be served at 5pm, since we were leaving to drive back to the airport at 5.45. By 5.15, still no food. So left the room to join my party. Same thing the part I was with, said to me, still no food. Even though the outside of this place looks good in the area, maybe think twice to be getting any type of service from this hotel

Room Tip: Any room had good views. Grounds were in good condition
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled solo

Been to Mount Meru Hotel? Share your experiences!