“great but not for me” 3 of 5 stars

Certificate of Excellence 2014
central coast nsw
“great but not for me”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2013

I had been staying in Arusha for a few days prior to my arrival here, The Safari company insisted that I had to be here day before the departure.

I have to say not my best experience. The hotel didn't answer its phone when my i rang trying to confirm booking and transfer arrangements. The staff at the hotel I was at had same problem. Only got the answer when a representative of the safari comapny who just happend to be collecting guests overheard and intervened. So I arrived not knowing what to expect.

Rooms are all designed as huts in the Masai stayle and there is a stroll between them and the main hotel buildings which does not create any difficulties. Well lit and wide paths and rooms have brolly just in case. No compaints there

Grounds are lovely and you can take a guided walk in the afternoons along the Lake. There are places to sit and take in the fresh air and refreshments available during the day.

The hotel also organises excursions to local markets( recomended, good fun and take the option to visit school ) and other places of interest.

Rooms are basic but clean and there is mosquito repellant provided .

The food was Ok but not great. There is no room service. Warning a glass of water at lunch cost me $9 USD. so don't take that option when offered as the cost is not disclosed at time and comes as a surprise at check out.

if you had just arrived after a long flight or transit this would be the place. As someone who already had a few days to recover from previous adventure this place just didn't cut it. Not recomended for solo travellers.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (50)
  • Polish first
Calgary, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2013

This is a hotel for couples. The views and landscapes is unbelievable if I could post pictures I would. The food is great, the staff is great. They have reasonable laundry rates. I will be coming back to this hotel for sure.

Room Tip: Beautiful couples get away.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
Bristol, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2013

We stayed here for one night after two days of travelling, the receptionist was very friendly on arrival and offered some very fresh juice to drink. We were then taken to our room which was very spacious and had reasonably comfortable beds. If you do stay here for at least a day I would recommend booking a walk around the lake at reception. Our guide, Agnes, was very laid back and clearly knew what she was talking about and worked well with the warden to provide an interesting and informative experience. We were lucky enough to see monkeys, owls, Monitor Lizards, Cormorants, and even some passing Flamingoes. It was a great way to spend two hours before our safari started. Overall, a great way to spend a day before the safari started.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Dar es Salaam, Tanzania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2013

I found myself in this 'village hotel' with a lot of style one Saturday when I had enough time to kill before taking an evening flight out of KIA. I feel in love with the place the minute I walked into the compound.

I had a lovely buffet lunch savouring all the offerings. Relaxed and read in the sunny garden and even had afternoon tea 'Silver Service' complete with cookies and cake. There was something so restful about the place I wished I had slept there! I know I will.

Room Tip: Just spent an afternoon, but I imagine the rooms must be restful!
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2013 via mobile

We stayed here for two nights in May before our week long safari. The staff were friendly and welcoming from our arrival until our departure.

The rooms weren't as impressive as some of the other Serenas that we stayed in during our safari, but the grounds were gorgeous.

We would certainly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed May 2013
Palmerston North
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2013

What a lovely place to catch our breath (and recover from 40 hours of air travel) a day and a half before setting out on a week's safari. The setting was very peaceful, with beautiful gardens, lots of trees and a nice room for accommodation. The main building was very interesting, including a great restaurant and excellent staff. The food was excellent too, especially the buffets for breakfast and dinner, & I can recommend the "Kilimanjaro" beer! The only tricky part was the bumpy drive off the highway to get 1.5kms to the Lodge entrance....but it was worth the slight discomfort! We warmly recommend this place

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Delray Beach, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2013

What a wonderful introduction to Tanzania! This lovely place was the start of my trip and it was so authentic, down to the mosquito netting! I was able to sit on the lawn at the back of my "hut" and sketch and draw. They have wonderful guides for hire, tipping only, who are knowledgeable, nice and interesting. One took us on a walk to Lake Diluti and another to see Mt. Kilimanjaro. Their laundry prices are very reasonable and the Maasi woman on the premises makes beautiful beaded jewelry and will negotiate. A great place to stay!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends

Been to Lake Duluti Serena Hotel? Share your experiences!