“Charming place, friendly staff” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Zawadi House

You added Zawadi House to your Saves list
Zawadi House
4.5 of 5 Small Hotel   |   Kundayo Road | Phillips Area, Arusha 1648, Tanzania   |
Ranked #9 of 62 Arusha B&B and Inns
Wickliffe
“Charming place, friendly staff”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2014

I stayed at Zawadi House before and after climbing Mount Kilimanjaro. It was recommended as an upgrade from the basic accommodations provided by Team Kilimanjaro. The place is small (only about ten rooms, I think), but it is quite charming and well appointed. It has a small, well manicured garden, a bar, and a restaurant that overlooks the neighboring banana plantation. The menu is quite limited (the chef prepares only 2 or 3 entree options each day), but everything I had was delicious and well presented. Breakfast is plentiful, with fresh fruit, eggs cooked to order, juice, toast, and tea or coffee. The rooms are clean, comfortable, and attractive, with quiet and effective air conditioning. The down sides are minor: it is too far from Arusha to walk there, especially for foreigners who are not accustomed to such environments. I paid $20 for someone from TK to drive me into town. Also, there were some issues with internet, power, and hot water malfunctioning from time to time, but I think this has more to do with Tanzanian infrastructure than with Zawadi House in particular. Whenever one of these things became an issue, the staff quickly did whatever they could to solve the problem. I would like to especially commend Emmanuel, who always greeted me with a broad smile and a genuine "can I help you?" He was a delight. I would definitely recommend Zawadi House

Stayed July 2014

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
Mzuzu, Malawi
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 31, 2014

I still remember the treat all times I wanted to eat you made sure I ate what I wanted and like, this made zawadi a diference. You have just won my heart I love you. I did not know tanzania could give such nice coffe or was it the way you were making it I enjoyed your coffee. I dont forget Dorotea, Jackline, Emma n your short cook with a pasion to satify me with her recipies.i cant wait to be there again

Room Tip: All is great
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
New Delhi, India
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 8, 2014

It feels more like a home than a hotel. Staff is very friendly and accommodating. Its a little away from the main city and there isnt much in the walking distance. However if you can get past the location, then I would highly recommend this place. Rooms are cozy and comfortable and the staff does go out of its way to make your stay very comfortable.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2014

We stayed in Zawadi House, Arusha Tanzania before we started our hike up Mount Kilimanjaro and again following our return before we went off on Safari.
We found it to be a little oasis - a place you really feel glad to come back to and where you feel you are with family. The staff at Zawadi House are outstanding - every one of them - lead by the very affable Ema (short for Emanuelle). They went out of their way to ensure that we were happy and all our need were met.
The power supply at Zawadi House (like the rest of Tanzania) is erratic but they do have a standby generator in the grounds that cuts in (usually fairly promptly) when the grid supply fails.
We found the rooms comfortable and clean and of fairly good size. The bathrooms work well and the water pressure is good - important detail when you have to scrub off one weeks worth of dust from your body after a week on the mountain !
The food at the hotel is not cheap though. You may be tempted to try some of the restaurants in Arusha for a change (on the Dalla Dalla of course !). The faint hearted can ask Ema to accompany them !
Overall an excellent place to use as your base whilst in Arusha.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
Raleigh, North Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2014

Although I had read other reviews on Zawadi house, I was still surprised by the location. The area looked a little sketchy at first but once you are within the grounds, it is quite nice and peaceful. The location is fine for a quick overnight stay, but there isn't anywhere you can easily walk to.

Our room was adequate for an overnight stay- clean, comfortable, quiet. The staff were all very nice but could have been more efficient, especially with serving meals. Food was very good. Wifi was included but not always reliable.

• Stayed February 2014
Singapore, Singapore
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2014

The road leading to Zawadi House is misleading as it could possibly be the worst road in Arusha. However, Zawadi House is a little oasis at the end of the bumpy ride. It is clean and you get to know the staff quickly. The staff are extremely helpful and friendly and go the extra mile and made my stay a treat. Our luggage was kept safely between climbing Mount Kilimanjaro and the safari. The power outages were quickly dealt with and posed no major inconvenience. The friendliness, cosiness and homeliness of the staff made up for the small inconveniences.

Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 9, 2014

Zawadi House lives up to its tag line of being a home away from home, thanks to the exceptional warmth and friendliness of Emmanuel and chef Naomi. Emmanuel was manager, bartender, waiter all in one, the go to guy to settle every problem. He was unfailingly helpful, cheerful and good natured. Naomi cooked us wonderful meals, met our requests for all sorts of food and shared her secret for crisp, melt in the mouth chips and excellent African pilau. They even put up a Masai dance performance to celebrate my sister's birthday.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends

Been to Zawadi House? Share your experiences!