“Meserani Snake Park” 4 of 5 stars

Toronto, Canada
8 attraction reviews
“Meserani Snake Park”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 30, 2013

We went to the Meserani Snake Park last week for our son's 4th birthday. (not a party, just a family outing!)

I have to say, I was quite impressed with this attraction! Our guide spoke very good English and seemed to know a LOT about the snakes, not just what was written on their glass displays. And he was quite patient with our kids, even lifting up our son to see everything. I found it interesting that the snake park has an emergency area where anyone can come (or be brought) for treatment from snake bites.

The snake park also takes in some stray animals and helps rehabilitate them, which I think is a really good thing. When we were there they had some owls and birds. (including a stunning goshawk and two cute barn owls)

And, included with admission price was a tour of a Masaai museum across the road, which I found quite interesting. There are so many Masaai around the area and it's nice to learn about their culture.

Oh yes, and we got to hold snakes (even me!) and see them being fed.

Visited March 2013

• Polish first
Arusha T
35 attraction reviews
“Good camping support the local community.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 16, 2013

BJ and Ma run this place and have done so for years. They have huge camping grounds with clean toilet and shower blocks. They welcome a lot of the big overland tour groups each day and have a brilliant bar to do so. The Snake Park zoo section is very important to this region, they supply antivenom to snake attacks in the area. Money raised from your entry, camping and drinking also support a medical clinic and orphanage - these guys are supporting this community so feel free to make an extra donation and support a very good cause.

Visited November 2012
Alesund, Norway
4 attraction reviews
“Very good”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2013

I went here together with a big group. The snake park itself was like I expected - displays of many different snakes, among them the dangerous black mamba. The best time to visit is Sundays at 2pm, since that is the feeding time. We were there earlier and had to leave before, but we still got to see feeding of 2 snakes for a small tip to one of the staff. The snake park also has a couple of birds and animals, however in bad conditions. You can see crocodiles in different sizes and big lizards. It's also possible to hold both small crocodiles and snakes. Outside the park, you can ride on a camel for only TSH 1000 or 2000 (?) and there's also a masaai cultural heritage center. This is really worth a visit. There are displays of typical clothing, weapons and gear. Bring a guide with you so he can explain the different things.

Meserani snake park is definitely worth a visit! Not very cheap though, and be ware that they suddenly can change the price if they see you are a tourist. We had negotiated a price over the phone, but when we got there the price was 3x more so we had to negotiate again. But all in all, a much better and more varied experienced than I'd thought :)

Visited January 2013
Moshi
“Take a few moments of your Safari Time to Check this out...”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 8, 2013

The Snake Park is a cool couple of hours, even if you are not into reptiles. Feedings are Sundays @ 2p and this is the BEST time of the week to pop into the park. Besides the reptiles they also offer camel rides for a small fee. I HIGHLY RECOMMEND the walk through tour of the Maasai Heritage. My family & I have lived in Tanzania for a lot of years and we really enjoyed this abbreviated tour.

Visited December 2012
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
27 attraction reviews
“Fantastic atmosphere and people!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 5, 2013

We have very much enjoyed our stay here while overlanding through Africa. Warm hearted people, great atmosphere and an amazing collection of snakes. We had an unfortunate caraccident in the Serengeti and I received treatment in the clinic, such an amazing project they have set up there. Keep up the good work!

Visited January 2013