“Great way to explore Tanzania” 5 of 5 stars

Safariland Cottages
P.O. Box 2230 | Njiro, Arusha, Tanzania   |
Ranked #9 of 81 Specialty Lodging in Arusha
Denver, Colorado
“Great way to explore Tanzania”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 4, 2013

This was my first trip to Africa, and I was very pleased with our safari and the service from Safariland. As others have mentioned, the cottages are pretty basic (and the showers need a bit more water pressure) but comfortable and quiet. Rahema did a great job arranging out trips and providing transportation to and from the airport. Our guides were knowledgeable, spoke excellent English, and patient with spotting animals - we could sit and watch as long as we liked, which in our case included a rare sighting of a serval (African wildcat) hunting in the Ngorongoro Crater. She also provided us with a guide in Zanzibar. I'd definitely stay here again, and recommend it for women travelers and families.

Room Tip: One tip - be prepared to pay in cash. Tanzania, for the most part, doesn't use credit cards. Ame...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
Denver,co
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2013

I just returned from my first trip to Africa. We were based out of Safariland Cottages, and stayed there 3 nights total. Rehema was in charge, and she did a great job. She arranged an excellent safari for us, and then sent us a guide in Zanzibar, which was awesome. I was travelling with 2 of my daughters, 15 and 12 years old, so I really appreciated Rehema's help and support. She took us to the airport and did an amazing job navigating the horrible Arusha traffic to get us to our flight. The cottages are quite comfortable, nothing fancy, though they seemed like the Four Seasons after 5 days of camping. Safariland had set up the camping, and I am not a good camper, but they really did a nice job of making things comfortable-great tents, and mattresses to sleep on, plenty of good food from the friendly chefs, it was very nice. It is a very nice place and I can only say the nicest things about the cottages and Rehema!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Vaasa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 20, 2013

My girlfriend and I stayed in Safariland Cottages for 1 night in January 2013 after our safari. The cottages are tightly packed but do not seem that way as they are in the midst of a beautiful garden. Our room was very comfortable including complementary water bottles and the shower had hot water which was exactly what we needed after our safari. The owner with her daughters were charming and extremely helpful. The place does not include a reastaurant but they still arranged a meal and a bottle of wine for us when we were too tired to go out for dinner. The place is a little out of the way which, depending on the traveller, can be either good or bad. For us this was good as we wanted to relax but for those wanting to visit Arusha city might want to consider a more centrally located hotel.

In general, Safariland Cottages provide great value for money and we recommend the place for anyone.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Prague
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 10, 2012

I originally planned to stay only for one night before leaving on safari with one of the local agencies. At the end, we stayed three nights and did our 6 days safari also with Safariland cottages.
This place is run by a Hungarian lady and her two adorable daughters and they treat all guests almost like other family members. Cottages are located in very quiet location, but still within dala-dala reach. Also - no need to worry about safety here.
Rooms are clean and nice. The only imperfection may be the water pressure, sometimes the water merely dripping of the shower - but that is common problem in this area.
Our stay was excellent and as mentioned - after some mandatory negotiations, we ended up with a reasonable price for 6 days safari. Everything was well organized, cannot complain to anything.
So I can definitely recommend them not only for Arusha stay but also as safari provider.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
Ottawa, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2012

Individual cottages in a lush, tropical garden setting and free wi-fi in the dining room. What more could you want? Well to boot you get amazing value for money from a family owned and operated hotel. You get an owner who is also the chef and who can create meals of any kind from traditional East African with Ugali to fully European. On my last day of this trip she made vegetarian pizza to order.

There are a few things that take getting used to -- like pretty low water pressure in the shower. But there is always hot water and toilette paper and a completely trustworthy staff.

Oh, and did I mention they also are a tour company and can get you to the top of Kilimanjaro to to Serengetti and Ngorogoro. So what if they don't have a pool or a fitness center. Tell Csilla, the owner that you would like sundowners in the garden and in an instant you have a table in among the birds of paradise with your wine or beer or whatever ready to go.

I will certainly go back when I have the chance

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Manchester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2012

I know Arusha quite well and I have stayed in several other hotels/lodges/guest houses but I have to say Safariland Cottages was one of the best; I stayed over a month with my girlfriend and we were welcomed as family. The Hungarian lady who owns the place together with her Tanzanian husband is always ready to help and we became friends with her two daughters and were going out all together. Definitely the best place to stay in Arusha

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2012

I stayed in Tanzania for a month doing non-profit work and had an amazing time at Safariland Cottages. The family and staff are so warm and attentive. I will miss Csilla and everyone very much and plan to return for vacation soon. The food is wonderful and I would recommend it to anyone visiting in Tanzania for a long or short stay.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business

Been to Safariland Cottages? Share your experiences!