“A Pleasant Stay” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Olasiti Lodge, Tanganyika Wilderness Camps

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Arusha
Olasiti Lodge, Tanganyika Wilderness Camps
You added Olasiti Lodge, Tanganyika Wilderness Camps to your Saves list
Oljoro Rd, Olasiti, Arusha, Tanzania   |
Ranked #39 of 80 Specialty Lodging in Arusha
San Diego, California
“A Pleasant Stay”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2013

Also, stayed there as part of our OAT Tanzania Safari trip. The premises were very clean and our room was large and comfortable.
We also heard singing one morning coming from a local church. It didn't bother my husband and I as we enjoyed the cultural experience. Our trip leader also walked us from the hotel down to the church and several blocks, so we could get a taste of Arusha.
Food was good and the lobby/bar is very inviting and relaxing.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
Dennysville, Maine
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2013

We just returned from the OAT Tanzania Safari trip and had none of the problems stated in the previous reviews. The mosque and church were not noisy, the staff was friendly and excellent and the food was fine.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
Huntington Beach, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2013

The Olasti Lodge in Arusha, Tanzania is where OAT travelers begin and end their OAT Safari Serengeti trip. The rooms were very large and comfortable, situated on lovely grounds inside a walled, security guarded compound. We left the compound only when in our safari vehicles, or when with our trip leader. It probably isn't advisable to try to head out on your own.

The lodge has a very nice large, clean swimming pool, surrounded by deck chairs and lounges. Food at the lodge was good, and service very friendly.

The only negative is a church right outside the compound walls, that blasts singing and prayer services just about any time day or night. If your room is near that compound wall, you probably won't have a great night's sleep.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
San Antonio, Texas
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2013

I stayed there three different times as part of an OAT trip in December. The rooms are okay--dpending upon where on the property you are located. The staff is okay but not particularly
friendly. The pool is very nice--a plesant place to sit, watch the monkeys come done from the trees to see if there is a handout available, and to enjoy the birds in the trees as well as the plantings on the grounds. The problem is noise--a call to worship from a mosque at 4:00-4:30 in the morning, a loud worship service in the protestant church next to the hotel, and a rock crusher or cement mixer that starts up about 7:00 each morning. Not a place to spend a restful night, particularly when you arrive there about 9:00 p.m. after spenidng 20 plus hours on an airplane. The last stay was just for an afternoon before going to catch the plane for the 20 hour flight back. We were placed at the back of the property where it was impossible to get a little rest because of the rock crusher/cement mixer. We were fortunate that a large shower had ended the service at the protestant church. I hope OAT will see the llight in the near future and use a different hotel in Arusha.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
Boise, Idaho
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2012

My wife and I recently went on a photo safari of Tanzania with O.A.T. (Overseas Adventure Travel), Tanganyika Wilderness Camps and Kibo Guides. The adventure began and ended at the beautiful Olasiti Lodge in Arusha, Tanzania. This lodge was base camp for the safari and we spent a total of four nights at this wonderful establishment.
First of all, I want to thank the management for hiring such wonderful employees as Joseph; Ali; Julius; Rihta and Jackson (our chef). It was fantastic to be around such wonderful and giving people. They were extremely helpful in every aspect of their jobs.
One of the reviews mentioned the "noisy" church and mosque next door. I, for one, came to Tanzania to flavor all it had to offer, including the wonderful singing and exotic influences. My wife and I went to a service at the church next door and were warmly greeted by all. They are an amazing people with great happiness in their hearts.
Now, back to the lodge. Arusha appears to be somewhat depressed and unkempt. When you arrive at the lodge, down a small dirt road, you start to wonder where you are going. The lodge is completely secure with Masai guards at the front gate. The gate is opened to a wonderful paradise of color, vegetation and beautiful buildings. As I walked through the front lobby doors, I was inspired by the architecture and grand entrance. The lobby boasts ceilings as high as 30 feet with an open-air atmosphere and wonderful colors. Truly breathtaking.
We were taken to our room which had a balcony overlooking jungle foliage and wonderful bird and Black-faced monkey's "noises". We spent the first two nights prior to the safari resting from the long trip from the states. It was great to get to know the employees during that time period. The food (cooked by Jackson) was served buffet style and was wonderful and brilliantly prepared. I never left the table unsatisfied. The staff had a wonderful disposition and were quite easy to joke with during our trip. One particular staff member I affectionately called "Eli" reminded me his name was "Elikanna". It became a standard joke between us whenever I would see him.
Once on safari, the trip included several returns to the lodge between tented safaris. Quite a welcome relief after rough terrain and dust. The pool was cool and inviting.
Olasiti Lodge was a welcome relief to us. I have travelled and lived all over the world. This lodge inspired me to tell all of you about the wonderful oasis in the middle of Arusha, Tanzania.
OAT (Overseas Adventure Travel) set up these wonderful accommodations and you may need to book though them to visit this lodge. The lodge does have a website: www.tanganyikawildernesscamps.com/camps/olasitilodge for those interested in staying there.
My wife and I absolutely recommend this location.
John and Sue Tudbury
Boise, Idaho

Room Tip: Rooms toward the back of the lodge tended to minimize the church services on Tuesday, Thursday and S...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Claremont, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2012

Stayed a total of five nights spread out over a two-week period and appreciated the comfort and security here. Arusha surrounds with all its hustle and bustle but is not allowed to intrude into this island of comfort. Especially liked the common outdoor sitting area at the back of the room row -- upstairs is best, with birds and trees in view. Location not so good relative to the airport, but great if coming from the Serengeti. Very pleasant outdoor eating and relaxing areas.Do beware of mosquitoes and watch they don't enter your room. Plenty of hot water, comfortable bed. Bedside lighting could be improved.

Room Tip: Some noise after 3 a.m. in Room 19 from the water tank/boiler.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
Littleton, Colorado
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2012

I stayed here twice as part of an OAT trip. Both times were noisy, both from the church or mosque next door and from a generator or something that created a loud humming noise. The rooms were clean and spacious. The food was okay. The staff was hard to find. I felt safe in the neighborhood and took an early morning walk by myself (I'm female) down the main road by the hotel. The Tanzanians were friendly, and no one approached me.

Stayed June 2012, traveled solo

Been to Olasiti Lodge, Tanganyika Wilderness Camps? Share your experiences!