“Noisy” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Olasiti Lodge, Tanganyika Wilderness Camps

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Arusha
Olasiti Lodge, Tanganyika Wilderness Camps
You added Olasiti Lodge, Tanganyika Wilderness Camps to your Saves list
Oljoro Rd, Olasiti, Arusha, Tanzania   |
Ranked #39 of 79 Specialty Lodging in Arusha
Littleton, Colorado
“Noisy”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2012

I stayed here twice as part of an OAT trip. Both times were noisy, both from the church or mosque next door and from a generator or something that created a loud humming noise. The rooms were clean and spacious. The food was okay. The staff was hard to find. I felt safe in the neighborhood and took an early morning walk by myself (I'm female) down the main road by the hotel. The Tanzanians were friendly, and no one approached me.

Stayed June 2012, traveled solo

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
Wheatland, Wyoming
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2012

I received a private message asking about the Olasiti Lodge. When replying I happened to point out that there were TWO different lodges with the Olasiti name in Arusha. They responded that they HAD been looking at the wrong one!
If you are interested in the Olasiti Lodge being used by OAT and reviewed here the website is at,

The second lodge which IS NOT used by Overseas Adventure Travel uses the website,

Hope this saves somebody else some troubles!

Stayed November 2011, traveled solo
Benicia, CA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2012

This hotel was in a nice setting once you drove down a dusty road. Rooms were clean and beds comfortable. Food was adequate, not gourmet. We were traveling with Overseas Adventure Travel. We stayed here going to and coming from Safari. This hotel is owned by Kibo, which has several properties and a safari company that OAT uses.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
Wheatland, Wyoming
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 15, 2011

If you are reading this there is a good chance you are considering touring with Overseas Adventure Travel. The lodge itself is fine but you have virtually no options to experience Arusha during the excessive down time you will have(especially if you have done the pretrip extension). It is a very attractive walled compound with beautiful grounds and pool. The only complaint I heard from others was the 5am Muslim call to prayer broadcast from nearby loudspeakers and very loud music from an evangelical church next to the compound during the day. The neighborhood outside the walls was extreme third world hustle and bustle that our group leader strongly discouraged people from experiencing.
I felt like I was a trapped rat, though the trap was nice. I was rescued by the staff when I asked if they could arrange an English speaking cab driver to take me shopping and sightseeing. The desk made a call and set this up. When the vehicle arrived I saw it did not have the white plates that cabs are required to have. That was because it was not a cab but a friend of the desk clerk! I asked him to take me to get a cell phone I could use in country. We went to an electronics shop downtown where I got a phone(with local number) that I could use worldwide, and surprise, surprise I was told that I could get service all through the northern circuit of parks. I was able to stay in contact with my wife and lend it to a group member to make an emergency call from the Serengeti to their daughter in the states. With $20 dollars of airtime it cost $48 total.
My driver then took me sightseeing through town and we stopped at the Masai Market near the Arusha Hotel. This market was 10 times better than anywhere the OAT tour stopped for shopping. Huge selections from many vendors in small stalls, items we did not see anywhere else, better prices and better atmosphere. The best time I had on the entire trip when experiencing the people and their lives away from the tourist trap "cultural" activities. It was the first instance where I began to realize how badly the OAT tour short changed us in many ways.
The Olasiti Lodge was a nice place to stay, the staff made it a truly wonderful experience.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled solo
Freeport, Maine
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 29, 2011

Stayed here for 2 nights as part of a safari tour package. It was much nicer than what we expected.

Some rooms are bigger than others and have different bed configurations. We were given room #2, which had a king sized bed. Very spacious room and huge bathroom with shower. Room #1 is also very spacious and airy with a high ceiling. Other couples in our group received rooms with 2 smaller beds. The rooms with higher numbers are located further away from the main building, and are smaller and darker. Beds have mosquito netting which you should use. Shampoo and soap are provided, but no conditioner so if you need hair conditioner bring some from home. In the evening, lighting is very dim so if you like to read in bed, a small camping headlight comes in handy.

The windows in the bathroom area are screened but are left open (probably for ventilation). This allows very small insects to get in, such as small ants. Just remember, you are in Africa, not the Park Plaza in NYC. Some noise from birds, crickets, rooster, and children singing in the church next door (if you can really call this "noise"). Walls between rooms are thin and not insulated for sound, so you can hear your neighbours talking, and likewise they can hear you.

Rooms, public common areas and grounds are kept very clean. Main building is a large open building with comfortable seating areas, a bar, and television. There are no TV's in the rooms. The dining area is at the back of the main building, open air style and very spacious and lovely. Meals are usually buffet style, with enough selection to suit everybody. Breakfasts include variety of breads, fresh fruits, bacon, eggs, coffee/tea, juices, cereals, and made to order omelettes.

There is a small gift shop on site. You can also purchase postage stamps and mail your postcards right on the site. There are a couple of computers in the main lobby if you wish to purchase time on the internet. Connection speed is slow.

There is a large room behind the main check-in desk where you can keep your luggage or other items if you are travelling on a safari tour and will be returning to the lodge at a later time. No cost to store your items.

Pool is large and clean, although we really didn't have any time to swim due to our tour schedule. There are vervet monkeys that live in the trees and sometimes play around the pool area.

The entire lodge is surrounded by a high wall and a gate with 24-hour security guard. Beyond the gate is a shocking contrast of luxury and poverty. Not really safe to venture out on your own by foot. Lodge staff can arrange for a taxi or other transportation if you need it.

Room Tip: Nicest rooms are #1 and #2. Although they also have rooms with more beds (which means less floor sp...
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled with friends
Ottawa, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2011

I recently stayed here at the beginning of a tour. I chose to come a day early to get a head start on dealing with jet lag. I was given one of the attached bungalows in the garden which I found to be bright and airy. It backed onto the cement barrier wall and the church next door as well as the laundry lines, but I just kept those windows closed and locked and there was no real impact. The large king size bed was very comfortable. One has to ensure that the mosquito net is properly dropped before dinner, as I had left a space between two curtains and woke up to mosquito buzzes in my ear. They provide a safe - use it - and always lock your suitcase whether there is anything of value or not. That is just common sense, not a reflection on my feelings of the Lodge's security and honesty. There are two other apartment type buildings, one behind the main lodge and pool, and another across a creek. There are some steep stairs, so ask for the bungalows if mobility is an issue.
I found the staff to be outstanding - pleasant and accommodating. Food was good and ample. Tea was always available. The small gift shop was open when people were around. The bar did not always store adequately cold drinks, but they tried. The pool was wonderful.
They seem to be starting to create a fruit garden in the back with bananas and papaya. The flower gardens are nice, but I hated to see the waste of water during this drought. Hoses running into the grass for hours. Ugh.
I was very happy with the arranged room and board fee and was glad that I decided to stay over in Arusha rather than Amsterdam enroute.
The only problem I had was with my pre-arranged airport pick up. It didn't turn up. I had to get a taxi from the airport. It's one of the few things I hate as a single woman traveller - arriving an an airport in the middle of nowhere in a country I have never been in late at night - and my ride not in attendance. It's getting easier to go with the flow, but I had no explanation of why that arrangement fell through.

Room Tip: As for a room away from the church and if stairs are a problem, ask for a bungalow
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled solo
Amsterdam
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2011

We used this before we went on safari and came back to it afterwards. Friendly staff and nice rooms. Quiet except for the noise that comes out of the church next door. Only bad thing was that they did go through our lugage very thouroughly and stole a piece of tanzanite (tanzanian diamond) we just bought and some money and cards too. So we had a good time there untill we noticed all of that on the day we left.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to Olasiti Lodge, Tanganyika Wilderness Camps? Share your experiences!