“Great Safari & Good Place to Stay” 5 of 5 stars

P.O Box 10321, Arusha, Tanzania   |
Ranked #13 of 81 Specialty Lodging in Arusha
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Portland, Oregon
“Great Safari & Good Place to Stay”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2013

I highly recommend planning your safari ahead of time with Robert Lawrence and staying at Sakina campsite hostel. The safari Robert arranged for me was excellent with a good driver and guide who knew all the wildlife, birds, and trees, and a good cook. Robert made sure I got the trip I wanted at a price I could afford. Some visitors to Tanzania get scammed by fake safari operators and their money stolen but I had a great experience. Rooms at Sakina are pleasant and reasonably priced. Robert is also very considerate and helpful to all his guests.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
Sapporo
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 20, 2013

Sakina campsite is cosy place to stay, you will be able to awake listening birds tweet in the morning, also you can have a superb view of Mt. Meru from its garden.
Two staffs, Robert and Jennifer are nice persons.

Yasuhiko T. (Japanese)

• Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
Oslo, Norway
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 18, 2013

We stayed at Sakina Campsite, before and after a Serengehti Safari. (Shooting a Travel show)
Robert helped us with late dinner, airport pick up and answers e-mails super fast.
Thank you Robert.
I reccomend Sakina to bugdet travelers, who want to be taken good care of!

Room Tip: Buy the best cry only once.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
Stavanger, Norge
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2013

I stayed at Sakina for 4 days, and had a great stay. The location was good, it was easy to get to from downtown and from the central busstation. The place was clean, affordable and with a great breakfast included in the price:) The staff were incredibly welcoming and helpful. Robert, the manager, was helping us with getting around in Arusha and with advice on what to do and see. When I got sick with food poisoning he was so helpful, and offered to take me to hospital and to go to the pharmacy to get medicine. We really felt at home at this place, and I would not hesitate to recommend it to anyone! Robert also can arrange trips to Kili or safaris for you. He organised my friend`s trip to Kilimanjaro, and she had a great climb.

New York City, New York
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 8, 2013

This hostel was good apart from 3 things:

1) the safari company that the hostel works with and recommends (TPSSL) were TERRIBLE! They turned out to be really poor value for money and their vehicles were in a shocking condition (suspension gone) and broke down several times

2) the hostel is located very far out from downtown, certainly not within walking distance as advertised

3) there were very little people staying in the hostel and so it was not good for meeting other travellers

• Stayed July 2012
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2013

Robert, the owner, made our stay more than excellent! Within only a few days he arranged a safari for us, including a great cook and driver. Thank you Robert for arranging this at such short notice, the safari was an experience we will never forget! The campsite feels as a home away from home. Cosy rooms, lovely beds, wonderful hot shower and a lobby that serves as a great place to relax and meet new people! We enjoyed a lovely breakfast every morning, a great start of every day. Don't hesitate to book this hostel when you're planning to go to Arusha and definetly book your safari with Robert: he'll take all of you wishes in consideration and you'll have a great time I'm sure. We had a great time in Arusha and definently hope to come back in the nearby future!

Arusha, Dar es Salaam, Tanzania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 29, 2012

I stayed at Sakina Camp for a few days before and after Kilimanjaro. I had a very good time here, and would really like to come back. I would warmly recommend Sakina to you! I felt like home, and if I needed anything, Robert, the owner, helped me without hesitation. I also got a fantastic Kilimanjaro trip I never will forget, through Sakina Camp. The guides and carriers were the best.!!! If you want to go on safari, Kilimanjaro, etc, I recommend to book it here. Robert takes care of everything, and he really made sure that I had a great time on my vacation. Breakfast was good and the rooms are clean. It is easy and cheap to get to town by taking a "Dala dala". So if you want a pleasant stay, with great people, and a relaxed atmosphere, you should come here :) I am coming back!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends

Been to Sakina campsite? Share your experiences!