“I could live there..so I did” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Ujamaa Hostel

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Arusha
Ujamaa Hostel
You added Ujamaa Hostel to your Saves list
Arusha, Arusha, Tanzania   |
Ranked #7 of 79 Specialty Lodging in Arusha
“I could live there..so I did”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2014

I heared about Ujamaa while staying in Zanzibar. I was looking to find a base where I could go to and from my volunteer project tach day. I had done a lot of travelling by that point and just needed to find somewhere I could come home to, have a great meal, and then go on the internet and use their excellent WiFi. I ended up staying for about 5 weeks. The staff are very helpful, after backpacking for 3 months it was nice to be taken care of and not burn a hole in my wallet.

Did I mention they have tortoises?

Ill probably be back. Have a bottle of Konyagi ready for me Gasper!!!

• Stayed December 2013, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
Accra, Ghana
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2014

I've been to Tanzania a couple of times and each time I stay at Ujamaa. You definitely get more for what you pay for. The staff is really friendly and helpful especially when you need to be picked up or need a reliable/reasonable taxi. The staff really do become your friends especially when you're staying for a couple of weeks. Although, lots of mosquitoes are in the hostel including the rooms because the doors are always left open. Luckily, the nets help a lot. I haven't found a cheaper or better place to stay in Arusha and would definitely continue to stay here whenever I visit again.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled solo
Houston, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2014

I stayed at this hostel for a few weeks in the summer. From day one we were welcomed and felt very at home. Gasper is amazing and makes you feel completely comfortable. Nothing is too much for him, he genuinely loves helping and making everyone feel at home. Every single person goes out of their way for you. Veronica's singing in the morning was such a sweet treat. Breakfast and dinner is included and is absolutely delicious, I still crave their food, much better than what I can cook. They will make sure you know where you are going and will even escort you themselves , they went with us to the waterfall, Masaai village and the volunteer organizations until you get used to walking around on your own. It was like hanging with a bunch of friends, how I wish I didn't live across the world. . The hostel itself is very nice , clean and functional. Very well thought out and fits a ton of people. My stay was way too short, I wish I could have stayed longer. I will definitely go back one day, best time I've ever had.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
Olympia, Washington
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 29, 2013

We were so pleased we chose to stay at Ujamaa while in Arusha. We stayed a total of about 5 nights and when we were there, the staff said they were just about to move.. so I'm not sure where they are located now and exactly how that location is. But, we appreciated how kind and friendly everyone was at Ujamaa, both staff and other guests. People would all eat dinner together family style outside and really got along well! Guests would enjoy a few beers, but not an intense party atmosphere at all (which we appreciated since that's not really our scene). The guests were a mixture of some long term volunteers (staying average about two months) and some tourists passing through.

They even gave us recommendations for which company to use to go on Safari with and we were very pleased with that as well (Crown Eagle). We loved Ujamma and are curious what the new location is like.

There were lots of nice perks like a free laundry service and breakfast included (and maybe dinner was too? I can't remember). Highly recommend Ujamaa!

Room Tip: At the previous location, there were two private rooms with double beds and the rest were dorms. Be...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Leeds, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 10, 2013

The hostel has now moved and so I have experiences from both!! The hostel initially was wicked and in a brill location as you could walk to the town and everything was a littl more local..Except I had Roland the rat in my bed for cuddles all the time!! NOT GOOD and not greatly managed .... HOWEVER... The experience was made by the amazing people I met there and the family atmosphere you got in the hostel!! And the house mamas..... WOW they really area angels!!!!

So the NEW hostel... Not as close to town but within walking distant from a dalladalla that can take to to where you need to get to and/or the other Dallas to get to your destination, but a lovely hostel!! They keep the hostel clean and look after you well! Water can be a pain in the bum as can the wifi and Mosquitos ...... But everyone likes a moan!! I would go back in a heart beat and stay there again when I go!! The hostel becomes your family and it feels so much safer having that sense and support while you are there!! I could moan about the small things that seemed major at the time but forget that..... I had the most amazing adventure there and would go back in a heart beat!! Defo would recommend!!

• Stayed October 2013, traveled solo
Geelong, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2013

Ujamaa has moved but because of it's feeling of home away from home, staff like family and safe, comfortable surroundings, I can recommend Ujamaa for singles, families and couples. I had an awesome second stay in 2012 and can't wait to retun and check out the 'new digs.'

• Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2013

We have travelled around east africa for 2 months and this place stood out above the rest.

If you want to chill out, be spoilt from the Mama's (the cook and clean your washing for you), or use it as a base to visit other place including the serengeti and the Ngorongoro crator which we did, you find yourself looking forward to coming back every time.

They are planning to move location but the idea of the volunteer house/ hostel is perfect and the people that stay there are there for all the right reasons making the stay more than perfect.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Ujamaa Hostel? Share your experiences!