“Start point for Mount Kilimanjaro trek” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Outpost Lodge

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Arusha
Outpost Lodge
You added Outpost Lodge to your Saves list
37A Serengeti Road | P O Box 11520, Arusha, Tanzania   |
Ranked #16 of 73 Arusha B&B and Inns
Beauly, United Kingdom
“Start point for Mount Kilimanjaro trek”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2013

I stayed here for two days before I climbed Mount Kilimanjaro and a day after.

I arrived late at night and there was someone at reception to check me in & help carry the bags to my room. The room was basic but functional, and had all the amenities I required. I was on a backpacking trip so I wasn't looking for luxurious surroundings. The room could have benefitted from some renovation, the door didn't fit properly and there was a large gap underneath it that a small animal could have fitted through so I didn't feel particularly secure. Also the wifi service which was advertised was not available in my room, though the people next door could get it. I also had no hot water in the shower for the first two days, though I did in the basin.

I had a different room after the climb and it was much better. The door fitted properly, the room was better furnished and I had lots of hot water. I also got wifi in this room.

What you cannot escape in this establishment is the howling of the neighbourhood dogs at night . All three nights I stayed the nearby dogs howled and barked all night, so sleeping soundly was therefore ruled out and it made the area seem slightly intimidating.

I never used the pool so can't comment on that though I did see someone cleaning it every day. I also left luggage here while I climbed Kilimanjaro and it was held in a secure place and labelled etc.

The food at the B&B's cafe, Cafe Mambo, was good and the service was very reasonable. Our food arrived fairly quickly after being ordered and was hot and tasty. The menu was extensive and catered for all dietary requirements, prices were very reasonable and the staff were very pleasant.

Given I wasn't on a trip where I expected luxury then the accommodation was perfectly adequate and acceptable for my purpose.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (47)
Glasgow, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2013

The outpost lodge is used as a starting point for safaris or expeditions to Kilimanjaro. We stayed there for one night at the start and one night at the end of our safari. The rooms are very basic, reasonably clean but not well maintained. We waited for an hour after ordering food before it arrived and even then they got it wrong. When you rely on tour operators to book accommodation you are really at their mercy unless you know the area. I would not go back.

Room Tip: Make sure you ask for a room that is not overlooking the kitchen area or you will get little sleep.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
Singapore, Singapore
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 29, 2013 via mobile

We stayed at Outpost lodge for 3 nights during our recent trip to Tanzania. It was a good and safe option to stay in Arusha and better than some of the other lodges we looked at, though nothing really special. The rooms were nice and clean. The bathroom was clean and big. Basic amenities were provided. Staff was quite helpful and helped us find rooms even though they has some issues with our booking dates. The restaurant food and service were okay. The wifi connection was spotty though. So overall a pleasant experience.

Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Prague, Czech Republic
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 26, 2013

This was probably the worst lodge we have visited during our stay in Tanzania.
The room was ok but it needed some renovation. The service at the restaurant was very slow (more than 1 hour to get our food and the restaurant was almost empty), when the food came was so poor that even if we were hungry we left it almost untouched. The morning breakfast was particularly cheap.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Auvers-sur-Oise, France
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2013

We spent 4 nights in this hotel after climbing mt Kili. The staff was really nice and helpful especially after I had broken my arm during the trek.
It is situated in a quiet and safe area , not too far from the city centre.
The room are quite large and nice . The garden is really beautiful. and there is a small swimming pool.
Considering what you usually pay for a room in South Africa, the Outpost lodge is reasonably priced.

Room Tip: Ask for the new rooms
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Boston, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 22, 2013

Outpost Lodge was booked by Team Kilimanjaro for my climb of the Mountain. I am very pleased with this choice of accommodation. The Lodge is clean, friendly and with good security. The rooms are spacious and beds are comfortable. There is a restaurant/bar which serves good food and drinks. Breakfast with an omelette bar is included. It is full of fellow climbers to swap stories. The Lodge is a great value for a very modest price and I'm happy I stayed here!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
Nashville, Tennessee
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2013

This is a nice little place....pool, nice bungalow rooms, good food and good service. The service people went above and beyond and we were very pleased with the place....stayed 3 nights. Great place to stay if you are going to or coming back from climbing Mt. Kilimanjaro.

Room Tip: The bungalows are nicer than rooms in the old section
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Outpost Lodge? Share your experiences!