“A Nice Hotel” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Monarch Plaza Hotel

Save Saved
You added Monarch Plaza Hotel to your Saves list
Monarch Plaza Hotel
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   No.300, Section 1, Chuang Ching Road, Taoyuan City, Taoyuan 330, Taiwan   |
Ranked #14 of 103 hotels in Taoyuan
colorado
“A Nice Hotel”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 28, 2013

I stayed in Monarch Plaza during my recent business trip to Taiwan. The hotel is located about 1/2 hr by taxi from the Taoyuan Airport. It is not exactly an airport hotel. The street around the hotels are mostly residential. As far as I can tell there are no major tourist attractions nearby.

The hotel staff were very friendly and helpful but most of them did not speak English very well.

The room I had was clean and very comfortable. I liked the fact that there was a wifi router in my room. I checked the internet speed and it was 20Mb download and 7Mb upload, the fastest I have seen in any hotels I have stayed and it was free. The TV had tons of channel but most of them were in Chinese but it did have the usual CNN and BBC etc.

The breakfast buffet catered mostly for Chinese taste which was fine by me since I am Chinese but the food was cold even early in the morning. The western items were okay but nothing to write home about.

The hotel also had a Chinese and Japanese restaurant. I only tried the Chinese one and I think the food was a little greasy. There were many restaurants near the hotel so there are other dining options available.

I wouldn't say you should go out of your way to stay in this hotel but if you are doing business in Taoyuan area, the Monarch Plaza is a good choice.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business

56 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
Colombo, Sri Lanka
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 21, 2013

Monarch Plaza hotel gives you all comforts for your business trip. Very good rooms, excellent service, extremely hospitable staff and good buffet break fast.
It is very close to the Taoyuan airport and it takes less than 30 minutes drive to reach. There is a good underground parking.
The Buffet is a mixture of chinese and western dishes which turned out to be a wonderful combination.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Scranton, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2013

I went to Taoyuan on business for 8 days, and my company booked me this hotel. Right away I was impressed with the interior of the hotel. Normally, I go cheap on hotels as I use them primarily for sleep/shower (recreational traveling). However, on this particular venture I was in the room frequently to do work on my computer, meet clients in the lobby, etc.

Getting internet was no problem. Air conditioning was great. Staff was far more polite than what I am used to in the States. The breakfast was pretty good, with espresso machines.

I am not a fancy traveler by any means, so reading reviews about massages and such, that isn't my expertise. My only complaint was the laundry service was pretty outrageous price-wise. I had about 10 hours notice to prepare for this trip and did not pack appropriately for the tropical hell that is Taiwan. Thus, I had just a few changes of clothes that had to be rotated through the laundry. I went to buy clothes at the local mall, but got sticker shock at a pair of dockers that was almost 100$...

For a guy that is used to hotels in Peru off the beaten path, this place was pretty nice. If you are a more metropolitan traveler, your mileage may vary. Personally, I wouldn't hesitate to stay here again.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Fort Worth, Texas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 10, 2012

So, the room was good and comfortable enough, but my biggest complaint is the lack of wifi throughout. There was wifi in the lobby and in the breakfast room, but nowhere else. Since I communicate with my wife via wifi during overseas trips, this was a bit inconvenient.

Also, Toayuan is a bit too far from Taipei City to be enjoyable. The area surrounding the hotel is not tourist friendly, with the exception of a modern shopping mall located directly behind the hotel. There is no nightlife, whatsoever, and the hotel bar closes early... not that the bar has anything you want when it's open...

Like I said in the title.. Maybe it was the area, rather than the hotel, but I think I'll stay in Taipei in the future.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
Gothenburg, Sweden
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 26, 2012

I stayed here for four nights during a business trip to my supplier and sub suppliers in Taipei and the surrounding area. The staff including the front desk have was attentive and polite but with poor English languages skill, a good thing that my supplier offered me a ride from the airport to the hotel so I could get some translation help while checking in. I have requested a non smoking room and this was honoured, although there were a scent of smoke around the elevators that transferred in to the hallway where my room as located and also felt in the room during nights.

The room is average with an old school TV (not flat screen, novelty!). The bathroom was good sized but there were leakage around the water pipes in the shower and the hand sink. I was impressed by the soundproofing of the room; all though I was close to the elevator it was completely silent all night long. The bed was comfortable and the bed linen was fluffy and nice. The room is need of a refurb/renovation.

Breakfast was below average to my specifications, much as expected, but honestly it was no the hotels fault, I'm gluten intolerant and can't eat anything containing gluten so my choices where limited, I brought some own gluten free breakfast items with me from Sweden.

I ate dinner twice at the hotel, I had a print out in mandarin, that explained my dietary needs and it was honoured with out a fuss, the staff was really helpful and double checked with the kitchen before I got a nod and an "ok". I had fried rice with beef.

Wi-Fi was free and fast with really good coverage in the room. I used the gym facilities once for some running, towels and water were supplied.The surrounding areas were a bit dull, but close to the airport.

Overall it was all about average, nothing more nothing less, just below your standard Hilton experience.

EK

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Mumbai
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2012

It seems that somehow things were not meant to work in the hotel.
On checking in when i inquired about massage as advertised, i was informed that the massuer was not there and hence not possible. The front desk did suggest a near by massage parlour.
The room had a weird smell and when i asked front desk to open the windows, they informed that the specific room had windows locked.
I choose the hotel since it also has gym facilities. However it is closed every first tuesday of the month and hence was closed whe n i wanted to use. There is a good park close by which has a walking track and that served my purpose
The internet in room stopped working. Person came to fix but despite spending lot of time it did not work.
The remote of tv was faulty
Staff is good and helpful.

• Stayed October 2012
queensland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2012

On an eva air stopover to europe we were given this hotel which was everything you would want for this type of stay. Service very good and helpful as we had shopping requests that they helped us achieve. Fascinating chinese foyer decor. The only downside to this hotel is the swimming pool which looks great but no personal bathing cap no swim. Never come across this one anywhere in the world before.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Monarch Plaza Hotel? Share your experiences!