“Disappointing.” 2 of 5 stars
Review of The H.O.P.

The H.O.P.
155 Junghua Road, Taoyuan City, Taoyuan 330, Taiwan (Formerly Feebie's Pizza)
+886 3 336 8887
Improve this listing
Ranked #1 of 1,422 Restaurants in Taoyuan
4.5 of 5 stars 33 Reviews
Cuisines: American, Mexican, Pub, Chicken Wings
Good for: Entertaining clients
Dining options: Reservations, Late Night
Description: The H.O.P. Is a cozy establishment which offers great pizza, the best Buffalo wings in Taiwan, soft shell tacos, and many other tastes of home. We have cocktails, great beers, and daily drink specials. We are cool in the summer and warm in the winter. Live music is happening most weekends and we'll have the English Premiere League on Saturdays and Sundays all season. Reservations are recommended.
Singapore, Singapore
“Disappointing.”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2013

Based on the Tripadvisor ranking and reviews we visited this place.
It was a long taxi trip from Jungli where we were staying , but this was not their fault.
On arrival the owner , an expat american seated us near the back. There were no other customers at 6.15 pm in a city where restaurants open early . Not a good sign. This seat location was right next to two boys playing soccer on a table version of the larger soccer game that is free standing.
After putting up with the noise for a short while we moved,
The owner gave us the menu and immediately started telling us about the pizzas. Now pizza is not that complex that I require an explanation. He steered us away from the anchovies ( did this with the next customers as well). Can only assume he had no anchovies in stock.
The pizzas arrived on a thin crust as ordered. Wholemeal dough is used.
They were over crisp , needed 2-3 minutes less in the oven.
My observations.... plain would be the best way to describe them.
Very little cheese, no oregano, no oil, no salt , no garlic, Just plain.
Looking at other reviews I can only assume that Chicago has bad pizza.
I have a saying that " that pizza is like sex", there is no BAD pizza, just as you cannot really have bad sex.
Well this place shot that theory to hell.

• Visited August 2013
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food

• Chinese (Traditional) first
Taoyuan, Taiwan
“As close as you will get to Cheers in Taiwan”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2013

As an expat with cravings for western food, conversation and music I would not be able to survive without The H.O.P. Living in Taoyuan your options are limited but that doesn't take away from the excellent atmosphere you will find at The H.O.P. The owners are friendly, eager to make you feel welcome and happy to make conversation.

The food is very good, especially the pizzas and homemade cheesecake (which is especially hard to find in Taiwan). The portions are large and the owners are always looking to add new additions to the recipe to keep it fresh.

They have a large and varied beer and spirit selection, Boddingtons being my own personal favourite, they have drinks to suit all tastes. The monthly pub quiz is a lot of fun and the live music on Friday nights is excellent.

I am happy to admit that I am a genuine fan of The H.O.P. and would recommend it to anyone who was looking for a good time, good food or just a comfortable place to have a beer.

Hsinchu, Taiwan
“Excellent Pizza and Great Atmosphere”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2013

I've eaten at the HOP in Taoyuan many times and i've never failed to be impressed by the food and the atmosphere. It's a small restaurant in an old part of town but the place has a really nice atmosphere, good music and friendly staff (especially the owners, Nathan and Sabrina). It's a great place to relax and enjoy a good meal and a drink with friends. The pizza is really excellent, hand-made to order in the brick oven by the door. I enjoy the hop special, but I've tried most of the pizzas on the menu and have never been disappointed with any of them. There's a good variety of other food as well. Nathan, a native of Buffalo NY, assures me the buffalo wings are the most authentic you'll get in Taiwan. There's also a wide selection of imported beers, including some Belgium and Dutch beers I've seen nowhere else. All in all a great place to eat, and by far my favourite restaurant in Taoyuan.

Taoyuan, Taiwan
“Real Pizza , Real Good, Real Freindly”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2013

If you are hankering for real pizza (not Pizza Hut or Dominoes) then hop down to the H.O.P..
I have been in Taoyuan teaching English for the past 6 months, having relocated here from Chicago (a town well known for its quality pizza) and I can honestly say that the pizza here is as good as any I have had in Chi-town.
One of the things I have really missed since relocating is decent cheese, which is only found in expensive specialty markets here (and Costco). At the H.O.P., they use a brick, wood-burning pizza oven which produces a nice crisp crust. The pizza's are topped with a variety of ingredients and, most importantly, real mozzarella cheese. I recommend the smoked chicken mexican pizza which has shredded smoked chicken flavored with cumin, onions and jalapenos.
The owner is from Buffalo, NY and he is quick to tell you about his Buffalo wings which, while not overly spicy, are some of the best wings I have had anywhere. You can really taste the butter on the wings and tabasco is available if you want to kick it up a notch.
They also have a great beer selection including ales from Europe and Corona from Mexico as well as a full bar and always have some beer as a two for one or three for one special. The H.O.P. is a family run establishment and you will often find the owners and their son working together reminiscent of a Tavern in Chicago. They are very laid back and friendly and love to talk to the customers, giving them advice about things to see and do in Taiwan. They recommended an excellent Thai restaurant near the Taoyuan bus station to me and , if I knew the English name of it, I could offer another rave review.

Taipei, Taiwan
“Great pizza and beer selection. Worst nachos ever!”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2013

The pizza was better than what I expected. I eat a lot of pizza, and have very high standards. What I ordered there was delicious.

The nachos, however, were horrible: stale tortilla chips, and that liquid radioactive "cheese" stuff you get at 7-11 in the States. Nachos, if you can cook at all, is one of those things you can't mess up. These were worse than baseball stadium nachos.

The beer selection was surprisingly satisfying--a few really rare ones on offer.

For a pizza and plain nachos, a coke and a beer, it was almost NT$1,000 -- way too pricey, especially considering it's all the way out in Taoyuan.

I'll probably go back the next time in that neck of the woods, but only for the pizza and a beer.

The music selection was satisfactory. But a couple came in and asked to have the TV near them turned up so they could watch a stupid talk show. Being near them, that's what we had to listen to. This shouldn't be done in a restaurant/bar.

• 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
Nathan M, Owner at The H.O.P., responded to this review, July 9, 2013
Many apologies! I have addressed the TV situation with my staff and it shall not happen again. Indeed, the situation you described should not occur in a restaurant.

Thank you for your comments regarding the high quality of our pizza and beer selection. We are always looking to improve the quality of other dishes and your comments will certainly be taken into consideration.