I heard about Dawncake from friends who have a chance to drop by the place. It’s known for its pineapple cakes, but honestly, I think the packaging for the merchandise here deserves a lot of praise. While the contents consist of the typical Chinese cakes and pastries, the packaging imitates anything from CD covers to books which makes them interesting gifts.
The complex consists of the bakery (which offers pineapple cakes, Chinese pastries, and even chocolate), a restaurant (upstairs – didn’t have time for a meal), tea shop (they have both bubble tea and tea gift sets), and a ice cream store (think Coldstone, except you get weird toppings like pineapple cake, cookies, etc.).
The inside of the store is a great place for photo ops, whether you like the structure, decorations, or the antiques on display.
The store is located on Zhongshan Road. Just find the train station and ask for direction if you get lost. It’s only a short walk away.
- Prices for pineapple cakes, ice cream, and tea are pretty good.
- Store’s location is easy to find.
- A good mix of old building parts with new architectural add-ons.
- You got to love the costume of the waiters.
- You can forget about finding a seat to enjoy you ice cream on Friday night.
- Splitting the line into cashier and pickup really bites. You have to line up twice.
This review is the subjective opinion of a TripAdvisor member and not of TripAdvisor LLC.