I am with 5 days around the island package tour and so this hotel stay is included. 1st-8th floor is a giant shopping mall and lobby is located at 9th floor and then you will have to take a different elevator from 9th floor to your room (most likely 28th floor and up). Unlike many hotels in Taiwan, staff from this hotel speaks English and thus good for business travel. Usually receptionists speak best English (try to ask them everything if you anticipate more problem with communication in Taiwan). I would say this place as good 4 stars (in International standard) but not worth 5 stars.
- Location: great city view (best to take photo at night), like some TA reviewers mentioned, shopping mall on lower floors help with last minute shopping.
- Food: I found their breakfast buffet items extensive with good, cook to order Taiwanese noodle (try with meat or Chinese eggs), good seafood, rice porridge (even better and contain more meat than the one I tried at another 5 stars hotel's expensive Chinese restaurant!) and many other Asian food. Yes, there is limited non Asian food (check my picture of Danish with shredded pork (another popular Taiwanese breakfast food)) but you should try other food while you are in Asia. Will you complain there is too many fish n chip places (in reality, too many Indian food places) while you are in Britain??
There are multiple restaurants on 10th floor and even a Western Steakhouse on different floor. Credit to Grand Hi-Lai to provide so many alternatives to eat.
- Big outdoor swimming pool and good Gym facilities on 10th floor.
- Rooms are a bit dated although it looks pretty grand. Some rooms has funny, old smell.
- Charging a lot for internet in the room is really a bad idea. Other real 5 stars hotels and even small hotels provide free internet. Charging internet for nearly as much as breakfast buffet is a real shame.
- There is no direct elevator from 1st floor to your room. You will need to take an elevator to lobby first and then, as describe above, take a different elevator to guest rooms. Again, as some TA reviewers mentioned, those limited elevators could be busy when non hotel guests are using to go to excellent restaurants on 10th floor and up.
- Also Known As:
- Grand Hi Lai Hotel
- Grand Hi Lai Kaohsiung
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Travelocity, Hotels.com, Cheap Tickets, Booking.com, Expedia, Agoda, AsiaRooms, EasyToBook, Venere, Priceline, Tingo and HotelsClick so you can book your Grand Hi-Lai Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.