“Good hotel located perfectly” 4 of 5 stars

Ambassador Hotel Kaohsiung
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   No.202 Min Sheng Second Road, Kaohsiung 801, Taiwan   |
Ranked #14 of 244 Hotels in Kaohsiung
Eindhoven, The Netherlands
“Good hotel located perfectly”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 18, 2012 via mobile

I stayed here for three night for business. The hotel is just good. Although the rooms are a little small, for a business trip or any short stay in Kaohsiung, the hotel has everything you need. A few things that could be improved are the minibar; pretty empty, the key system; on old fashion key with heavy hanger...it takes up some pocket space when you're out and about. The walls and cealing aren't thick either so it can be a little noisy. Its location is perfect, next to the Love river with some nice restaurants and bars in walking distance. The best place to have a relaxed and goood dinner or have a few beers is Tokyo Akasa (?) walk out of the hotel, cross the street and follow the river. Left of the bridge you will find a three story open restaurant. Great food, a good fibe and nothing formal. Do watch the beer girls as they want to sell you the more expensive beers. Aks for the smaller menu, although not in English and order the sushi. One thing though, they only accept cash.

Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
高雄市高雄國賓大飯店, 業者 at Ambassador Hotel Kaohsiung, responded to this review, May 27, 2012
Dear Sir,

A warm welcome to The Ambassador Hotel Kaohsiung!

We are delighted to have you with us. The hotel has been planned with your comfort and convenience in mind and we hope you are pleased with our facilities and service. Your suggestion for improvement will be highly valued and, wherever possible, carried out so that you may enjoy your next stay with us even more.

Please accept our sincere thanks for your patronage. Should you have any precious experiences or requirements, please do not hesitate to share with us for the improvement of everything.

We look forward to welcoming you back to The Ambassador Hotel Kaohsiung in the near future.

The Ambassador Hotel Kaohsiung

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Sydney, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 10, 2012 via mobile

Stayed there with my family to attend a wedding. The room was comfortable and clean and staffs friendly. Our request for an ironing board and extra mineral water were responded to within 3 min. Great experience will definitely come back and stay again.

• Stayed May 2012
高雄市高雄國賓大飯店, 業者 at Ambassador Hotel Kaohsiung, responded to this review, May 16, 2012
Dear Ms. Sydney,

London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 2, 2012

I stayed here for 2 nights in April/May 2012. I paid for the executive floor room which I am glad I did.

The room has a big king size bed, a couch, view of the Love River, big bath, shower and lots of cupboard to store your items.

The hotel has more chinese/local guests than international guests. This does not bother me at all. The check in was a breeze, although I had to wait for my room to be ready (even though I arrived at 1500hours). I was however given a coupon for a drink at the restaurant while I waited.

Staff were very friendly and most speak some English. I like the old fashioned key to my room, rather than card used by a lot of hotels these days. However guests are encouraged to leave keys at reception when they leave room and collect again when they return ( a bit like most hotels in Europe).

I didn't use much of the facilities in the hotel, but there is a pool, sauna, steam room, etc

Location of hotel is about 10 minutes walk to nearest MRT station. Nothing much near the hotel except you can have a nice stroll along the riverbank. You need to take taxi to nearest departmental store to eat/shop.

I took the HSR(High Speed Rail) train and it's about 35 minutes taxi ride away. Overall good hotel but a little dated.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
高雄市高雄國賓大飯店, 業者 at Ambassador Hotel Kaohsiung, responded to this review, May 8, 2012
Dear Sir,

Newcastle, New South Wales, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 18, 2012 via mobile

Upon arrival I was pleased to see an impressive front facade, and lobby, worthy of any 5 star hotel however I was soon to discover this was purely what it was - a facade. My booking was somehow mixed up and after 15 mins of waiting it was finally sorted out. I was pleased to receive an upgrade for my inconvenience, but upon arrival at the upgraded room was met by a terribly unpleasant odour smelling of something like wet carpet mixed with cigarette smoke. I decided to live with It as it was only for one night and quite a reasonable price. Was looking forward to getting a room service meal, but there was no room service, so ate at the dinner buffet in the restaurant which was average. Then showered and hopped into bed to discover a mattress that was so hard i may as well have been laying on the floor, and the noise from the elevator next to my room, and passing guests meant I had to use earplugs. That didn't stop the wafts of cigarette smoke that kept flowing through the air cond system. I had requested non-smoking and whilst I think my room was non- smoking, I must have been close to a smoking floor for the smell to have been so strong. That will teach me to remember - you get what you pay for. I'll go to the Grand Hai Lai again next time - it's lovely there

• Stayed April 2012
Hong Kong
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 13, 2012

I stayed in this hotel for 3 nights. I like the free shuttle bus service from the airport to the hotel very much since I ordered the package through CX holidays. Though a small incident happened in my room on the 2nd night, I am impressed by the swift response and action from the hotel staff very much. All the staff are very polite and they always wear a smile. I had no problem to communicate with them by using English. Though it is quite a walk from the hotel to the nearest MRT station (Abt 10-15 mins)(actually taking a cab in Kaohsiung is cheap),I will definitely stay in this hotel again and recommend it to everyone.

Room Tip: Choose one facing the Love River
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled with friends
Hong Kong, China
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 21, 2012

booked a twin and since the package includes a round trip airport transfer and breakfast buffet so then everything seems a good bargain. and both the reception and luggage deposit area offers very good quality of service. when requested, they even put us to a higher floor facing a nice city view. well the room size is a bit small when compared with hotels of this category but pretty acceptable. bed size and mattress and the lighting in the room are all ok with us except the toilet that is rather small. and mind you when flush it, it gives a very loud noise. could be embrassing when you do it at the midnight. in sum all is very clean and gives you the amenities you expect of a hotel. the hotel is about 10 min of walk from the nearest mrt stations. if you choose the central park mrt station, then turn left when out of the hotel and keep walking and after a pleasant walk along the leafy road, you would find both the park which is very large and beautiful and the mrt station. one more good point of the hotel is you can enjoy a very pleasant walk along the river banks and take a boat ride if you wish. as for the breakfast, dont expect too much and i dont find any shiny spots at all but still a variety of food available.
for those who wish to visit fo kwan shan which is to us a must see ( very gorgeous and awe inspiring indeed though we are not buddhists), there is a bus terminus on the left handside of the kaohsiung rail / mrt station that takes you there. when on board, do tell the driver where you want to get off. there is shuttle service too between fo kwan shan and zuoying mrt / rail / high speed rail station. check the timetable always.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
Nelspruit, South Africa
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2012

I did not enjoy this hotel at all. The room was small, but pretty enough.... this was not the problem though.

The BIG problem was trying to explain something to the hotel staff in english was almost impossible, very very difficult to communicate with the hotel staff.

Food at breakfast, was absolutely horrible to me as a foreigner. They defnitely do not cater for foreigners or what we eat. I do love oriental food, but even the oriental selection was not good.

Scenery also not that great, even with the lovers lane and river infront of hotel
We had dinner in the private diningroom, 7th floor - that was pleasant enough and selection was good, but we had Chinese friends who could translate and that made the difference.

I think that there are not many other hotels in this city that can claim they are 5 star, so maybe a little competition will be good?

Room Tip: A view of the river might be the best
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled on business

Been to Ambassador Hotel Kaohsiung? Share your experiences!