“Review of Sunnyside hotel @ 30 Liuhe, 2 Road” 4 of 5 stars

Sunnyside Hotel
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   No.30 Liuhe 2nd Road, Kaohsiung 800, Taiwan   |
Ranked #81 of 247 Hotels in Kaohsiung
singapore
“Review of Sunnyside hotel @ 30 Liuhe, 2 Road”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 4, 2013

Stayed in the Sunnyside hotel Kaohsiung from 29 Sep to 01 Oct

We arrived from Tainan by TRA takes approx 35 mins.
Note the TRA station is in the city centre but still a distance
to Sunnyside hotel, we took taxi cost NT150 approx 7mins

Location of hotel in city centre, nearest MRT station is 3 mins walk
Formosa or Mei Li Tao in Mandarin station nbr R10 / O5 which is also
an INterchange for the Red and Orange lines.

Hotel right in the middle of Liouhe night market opens daily 1700 - 0300 hrs

Rooms are clean, bed comfortable, but a little short for those over 1.78mt
We booked directly with the hotel which includes free breakfast and wi-fi
Breakfast is at the B1 starts from 0600 to 0930 hrs

Enjoyed your stay in Kaohsiung

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
RICHMOND HILL
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2013

Even though the room was a bit small, but very friendly staff, location of hotel was excellent, you are right on the night market, I stayed on the sixth floor the windows had excellent sound proof glass, and can barely hear what was going on on the street, also less than a minute walk from the nearest MTR station, the buffet breakfast was always replensihed and had a good selecction of hot and cold items, overall, excellent value for the amount paid!!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
Taipei, Taiwan
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 12, 2013

It was better than I expected. I was put in here for a work trip, and I was concerned with the noise level, but I had a room facing the back and it was fine. No problem with noise. The rooms are quite clean, but when I first went in, it smelled like chemicals and bleach a bit too much. After I opened the window it was fine. You have to ask the front desk if you want your room cleaned. That wasn't a problem for me, but don't expect that they clean your room everyday automatically.
The rooms are quite bare, and literally it's so white that you sometimes feel a bit strange.
The desk is very small, I wished that it was much bigger, but better than not having one.
The shower is not separate, but it was fine. Good water pressure and hot.
In winter, do not get the room in the back (only lower floors) that is in the outdoor area. You'll be cold when you open your door. The breakfast for me was great. First day, not sure why but they didn't have breakfast, only egg sandwiches and salad made to order, maybe there were too little people in the hotel. But after that, everyday there was a nice breakfast buffet. No problem.
It was fun to stay right in the night market. I will stay again here.

Room Tip: Backside is quiet. In winter do not stay in the outside rooms in the back in the lower floors.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 27, 2012

I spent one night at the Sunnyside hotel 2 days ago. It wasn't prebooked as my business associate picking me up from the airport suggest there was no problem getting a hotel. Probably my fault was asking for something close to the night markets. This hotel is actually in the middle of the night markets so you literally step out front door and into the action. So if that's what you want it may suit. At 1400TWD (approx $46 Australian) I initially thought it was cheap.
Then I saw the room. I've owned 2 man tents bigger than the room. The bed is jammed against the back wall, there is no bag rack (no where to put one) one small counter with your kettle, hair dryer and phone. The bathroom has no enclosure around the shower, so you could literally sit on the toilet and take a shower.
The bed was so hard I thought it may have been made of concrete. The worst thing though, was the constant smell of stale cigarette coming through the air on. It made it impossible to sleep.
It seems that the hotel gets at least 2 or 3 coach loads of Chinese tourists every night who can make adjoining rooms very noisy. As the floor is tile noise really gets around.
I went to check out the included breakfast in the morning and found there were really no western options. Whilst I do like Chinese food, I just can't handle it for breakfast, so I walked up the street and managed to find a coffee shop where I could obtain a passable resemblance for a cappuccino.
Whilst I was waiting for my ride, using the wifi in the lobby, the manager must have felt bad that I didn't have breakfast so he went and made a coffee and brought it to me. I certainly have no complaint about any staff, they were all really friendly. Likewise, the place is not dilapidated or run down either, it just is what it is.
I ended up moving to the Kindness hotel Jhong Jheng instead. What I found was that the very little extra that I paid there, got me a room that was 10 times better and far more services and inclusions, so from a value point of view, It is just worth paying a little more to get a lot more, unless you really just want to be in the centre of the night market, in which case stay at the Sunnyside hotel.

Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Hong Kong, China
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 23, 2012

My friend and I stayed at this hotel because of it's convenient location to the subway system. It is literally a two minute walk from Formosa Station (the interchange station of the two subway lines of Kaohsiung). The hotel room was very clean. The counter staff were very friendly, although they did not speak English very well. Breakfast was also included in the price. It was very affordable! The only thing I would caution is this hotel is located on a night market street. We were on the top floor (10th) and could still here murmur on the street until late hours of the night. But ear plugs solved this issue completely. I would highly recommend if you are looking for an affordable and convenient accommodation in Kaohsiung.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with friends

Been to Sunnyside Hotel? Share your experiences!