“Friendly staff but you can find better than this” 3 of 5 stars

Sunnyside Hotel
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   No.30 Liuhe 2nd Road, Kaohsiung 800, Taiwan   |
Ranked #81 of 242 hotels in Kaohsiung
Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
“Friendly staff but you can find better than this”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 27, 2012

I spent one night at the Sunnyside hotel 2 days ago. It wasn't prebooked as my business associate picking me up from the airport suggest there was no problem getting a hotel. Probably my fault was asking for something close to the night markets. This hotel is actually in the middle of the night markets so you literally step out front door and into the action. So if that's what you want it may suit. At 1400TWD (approx $46 Australian) I initially thought it was cheap.
Then I saw the room. I've owned 2 man tents bigger than the room. The bed is jammed against the back wall, there is no bag rack (no where to put one) one small counter with your kettle, hair dryer and phone. The bathroom has no enclosure around the shower, so you could literally sit on the toilet and take a shower.
The bed was so hard I thought it may have been made of concrete. The worst thing though, was the constant smell of stale cigarette coming through the air on. It made it impossible to sleep.
It seems that the hotel gets at least 2 or 3 coach loads of Chinese tourists every night who can make adjoining rooms very noisy. As the floor is tile noise really gets around.
I went to check out the included breakfast in the morning and found there were really no western options. Whilst I do like Chinese food, I just can't handle it for breakfast, so I walked up the street and managed to find a coffee shop where I could obtain a passable resemblance for a cappuccino.
Whilst I was waiting for my ride, using the wifi in the lobby, the manager must have felt bad that I didn't have breakfast so he went and made a coffee and brought it to me. I certainly have no complaint about any staff, they were all really friendly. Likewise, the place is not dilapidated or run down either, it just is what it is.
I ended up moving to the Kindness hotel Jhong Jheng instead. What I found was that the very little extra that I paid there, got me a room that was 10 times better and far more services and inclusions, so from a value point of view, It is just worth paying a little more to get a lot more, unless you really just want to be in the centre of the night market, in which case stay at the Sunnyside hotel.

Stayed November 2012, traveled on business

15 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Hong Kong, China
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 23, 2012

My friend and I stayed at this hotel because of it's convenient location to the subway system. It is literally a two minute walk from Formosa Station (the interchange station of the two subway lines of Kaohsiung). The hotel room was very clean. The counter staff were very friendly, although they did not speak English very well. Breakfast was also included in the price. It was very affordable! The only thing I would caution is this hotel is located on a night market street. We were on the top floor (10th) and could still here murmur on the street until late hours of the night. But ear plugs solved this issue completely. I would highly recommend if you are looking for an affordable and convenient accommodation in Kaohsiung.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with friends

Been to Sunnyside Hotel? Share your experiences!

Additional Information about Sunnyside Hotel

Address: No.30 Liuhe 2nd Road, Kaohsiung 800, Taiwan
Location: Taiwan > Kaohsiung
Ranked #81 of 242 hotels in Kaohsiung
Hotel Class:3.5 star — Sunnyside Hotel 3.5*
TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Agoda, Hotels.com, Expedia, Travelocity, Tingo, BookingOdigeoWL and Venere so you can book your Sunnyside Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.

If you own or manage Sunnyside Hotel, register now for free tools to enhance your listing, attract new reviews, and respond to reviewers.