“Fine dining at its best” 5 of 5 stars

Cuisines: French
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Melbourne
“Fine dining at its best”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 28, 2012

This is a beautiful restaurant that has a delightful, classic ambience about it. Imagine heavy drapes, lots of marble and of course crisp white table cloths with fine china and cutlery.

Set menus are all the rage in Taiwan, and I am normally not a fan of them (for example 'Tasty') however there is absolutely no comparison between this fare and the stuff served up at the likes of 'Tasty' or even 'Wang Steak' for that matter. This is in a class of its own.

I just need to get something off my chest which I hope the owners read, and that is that for some reason there were quite a few 'low priced' wines unavailable. Yes, the menu indicated this with a green dot and this is understandable, however unfortunately this left the wine list rather lacking in the lower price category. Personally, I find good value in wines around the 1500-2000 TWD bracket (also due in point to the fact my wife and I drink copious amounts of wine!) and these were the ones that had sold out... (in at least three categories).

For example, there was a Greenpoinst Shiraz from Victoria I believe for 1700 TWD+, however this was sold out and the next Australian Shiraz was 2700 for the Penfolds Bin 128 I believe.

However, my concerns were alleviated when I asked to try the house red wine which the waitress obliged. It was a Cabernet Sauvignon from Chile, and I must say - the best house wine I have had in years!

I then inquired as to the price of a bottle and its was 1500 TWD. Now this is a much more accessible price point for a big drinker like myself. I did a calculation in my head though and based on Australia wine pours (125mls) felt that it would be cheaper by the glass. Unfortunately I wasnt factoring in the 'european' size of the wine pour which I estimated to be about 100mls, rather than the usual 150-170mls poured in Australia. House wine was priced at a quite reasonable 200 TWD per glass.

Excellent bread was served with to start along with hands down the best Amuse Bouche that I have ever had the pleasure or receiving for free. It was lobster served in I believe an asparagus foam with a deep fried and stuffed courgette flower!

All courses were cooked to perfection, and featured expensive ingredients that would be quite technically difficult to put together yourself. Most dishes had many elements. The price of each set menu varied depending on the main course choice, mine was 1900 for the lamb. Frankly I think this is great value for money and well worth it.

My lamb main course was cooked to perfection. Apparently the desserts here are very good, however we were stuffed by that time and declined dessert.

Staff 'opened up' as the night went on and were obviously very well trained and professional. Most of the staff spoke some English which helped.

Thanks Pasadena for a superb meal which my wife enjoyed as well and we look forward to visiting again very soon!

• Visited December 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

55% Recommend
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Kaohsiung, Taiwan
“Elegant Dining”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 18, 2012

A first class restaurant experience. Take your time and savor it. Accompany your meal with a great bottle of wine, and you will have a meal to remember.

Visited September 2012
Kaohsiung, Kao-hsiung, Taiwan
“Amazing dessert”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2012

The dinning area isn't big but alright.
Having lived in France for a while, I thought the food was just okay.
However, they make amazing French dessert, yum!
I was stuffed but still managed to eat the cakes.
So if you are planning on going there, don't forget to get the dessert.

Visited July 2012
Kaohsiung, Taiwan
“Overated”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2012

Pasedena, both the restaraunt and the bakery, really fails in trying to deliver French cuisin and atmosphere. My biggest complaint is that it is a french bakery without fresh bread until mid afternoon. You can't buy bread here until about 2 or 3 in the afternoon. That makes it a Taiwanese bakery, not a French one.

Visited May 2012
Walnut, California
“Very Romantic Restaurant With Magnificent Courses”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2011

Went to this restaurant with a friend on valentine's day just to check it out. I found out about this restaurant from a friend's daughter who were suppose to apply for internship as chief apprentice. Upon arriving, we were greeted by the group of waiters & waitresses. We were the first to get there for dinner. The restaurant has the ambiance of French decor. The waitresses were all very professional & neatly dressed. The layout is splendid and the wine list is extensive. We ordered a three course meal dinner and a bottle of red wine. The foods were beautifully executed and presented. Right around the corner from the outside, there is a bakery shop that also belong to Pasadena. Its quite famous in Kaohsiung city. When finishing our meal, we ordered a coffee & tea and sweets were given (see all photos). The attention to details at this restaurant is superb and exquisite. I have been to top restaurants in Paris, France in the past and I can attest that this restaurant, even though not in Paris, would momentarily give you a feeling that you were. Excellent place to take your date for a very romantic evening in Kaohsiung. Oh, I forgot to mention, there is a city waterway right across the street so after the dinner, you may have a very nice romantic stroll right there to finish off the evening.

• Visited February 2011