“Good hotel for short stay” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Metropolitan

Save Saved
You added Hotel Metropolitan to your Saves list
Hotel Metropolitan
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   No.35 Rong'an Street, Qianjin District, Kaohsiung, Taiwan   |
Ranked #84 of 243 hotels in Kaohsiung
Kuala Lumpur
“Good hotel for short stay”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 27, 2013 via mobile

Good hotel to stay when you are in kaoshiung city. About 10 -15 min walk to night market and lrt station. Clean rooms and provides breakfast too. Once you orientate yourself to the location it is a good starting point to visit the sights and sounds of this southern city in Taiwan.

• Stayed November 2012

16 people have reviewed this hotel

Families
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
San Diego, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 1, 2012

I spent a week during Chinese New Year (22. - 28. JAN) in this “hotel”. It was close to a horror trip.
The check-in was pleasant although only one receptionist spoke English: Ken, who was also the only staff member, who somewhat cared about the challenges and problems we faced during the next days.
The room for the first night was little bigger than the queen size bed but at least it had a small table and I was able to work through the internet connection (WIFI) – I thought! The white spots (probably some fungus) on the magenta wall paper and the tobacco smell in the room were ignored. The work/week could start - except for a breakdown of the internet on day 2. After checking all my settings, I finally concluded that it was the hotels problem and asked them to check it. Over the next days, several attempts were made to reboot the system after I did not accept that the technical personnel were on vacation 1 hour away. They communicated over the phone and the internet worked again – for a few hours. This game went on for the remainder of the week with different excuses why the internet connection was unstable. Finally it was blamed on the provider… I lost 10-15 hours of work time. The local manager, who also acted as the driver and carried a terrible body odor, offered dinner right after he had repaired the connection for one night. So, when I had a small window to work, he wanted to treat me for dinner. That did not work for me. The internet trouble continued and was not resolved by the end of the week.
Breakfast was another highlight: when I came down to the breakfast area, all dishes were cold. The heaters ran out of heater fluid and there was no water in the water bath under the dish. Since it was really cold, I concluded that the heaters had not been switched on. In any case, I got fresh eggs, bacon and toast (warm) and some vegetables that I did not like. Since the management did not bother to change the situation despite my request, I ate the same breakfast every day. As a microbiologist, I regard the practice to serve food under these conditions as highly questionable, not even to speak of the taste.
And then there was the other room: one day, I had a different room. In the bathroom, black water came out of the floor between two tiles whenever I stepped on the surrounding tiles. They could not repair it during the holiday period since all rooms were booked. Finally, there was not even a shower curtain surrounding the antique bathtub. And, while most of the rooms do not have windows, and I don’t mean the operating system, this room was spacious and had a window facing the quiet street.
The two rooms I stayed in did not have closets to store clothes.
The final slap in the face: After demanding refund of some of the prepaid money, I received a one-night voucher for this dump! I felt maximally insulted and after expressing that this hotel was absolutely not one I would stay in again, I tore up the voucher.
Conclusion: A careless management sucks the money out of the travelers (2-4 times the normal room rent during the holiday period) and does not care about their health or needs. While some employees try to help, it is not enough to compensate for the worst experience I ever had in a hotel.

Room Tip: Stay away from this hotel: it does not have good rooms!!!