I spent 7 days in Taiwan and lived in two different hotels in Kaohsiung. Happy Hotel was chosen given it came along with the promotional discount from a travel agency.
The hotel was situated 5-min away from Kaohsiung MRT station / Railway station. If you take a highspeed railway and hit Zuoying station, it will cost you another NTD25 from Zuoying to Kaohsiung MRT station. If you arrive Kaohsiung airport, it will cost you NTD35 from the airport to the station (around 20 mins).
In terms of hotel quality, it is worth if you don't want to spend too much and just look for a short stay. I lived in the smallest room in the hotel (on 2/F, as told by the hotel staff who asked me whether I wanted to change room given my promotional discount was for that room and I could upgrade if I paid the difference to a higher-class room). However, as I am very flexible, I decided not to change the room but the room is in fact very small (my guess is <100 sq feets). 7 rooms on each floor and there are four floors only.
Except the small room size, I like the room a lot for the following reasons:-
1) Very clean and it looks like it is recently renovated. Toilet and bed are clean. The overall decoration is wonderful.
2) The water machine is just outside my door - easy to get hot / cold water at night.
3) Strong wifi. You get fast connection (~300kb/s)
4) The wooden floor is clean as I don't like carpet.
However, there are still some drawbacks: -
1) No window (The hotel informed me before my arrival so it is expected. This is fine with me)
2) Small room as mentioned earlier
3) I do not request a condom on my table. Why does the hotel give me a condom? Is this a norm in Taiwan for hotel to give out condom to guests?
4) No lift and you have to bring your luggage upstair/downstair. I am fine with it as I live on 2/F and my luggage is not heavy.
Please check out the pictures I posted to view the room.
With respect to breakfast, the hotel staff informs me that I need to pre-order for tomorrow's breakfast within a limited option (see the picture I uploaded). I can pick up the breakfast any time from 6am in the morning so it is good for you if you need to catch a train or leave the hotel early.
Unlimited refill coffee and honey tea are available on the ground floor.
Hotel staff is also friendly and provides assistance when needed. I spoke Mandarin with them so I can't assess their English ability but my general impression is that Taiwanese people, especially those in Taipei and Kaohsiung, speak English fluently.
Overall, if you ask me to choose a hotel to stay again next time in Kaohsiung, I will definitely choose this hotel given its great location and value for money.
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Agoda so you can book your Happy Hotel Kaohsiung reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.