“Luv the meat” 5 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #2 of 359 Restaurants in Hualien
Cuisines: American, Barbecue, Pub
Dining options: Reservations, Late Night
Description: American owned and operated smoked barbecue restaurant and pub. Our three specialty dishes are Carolina pulled pork, Kansas City baby back ribs and Texas beef brisket. All of our sauces and sides are made in-house. We also have draught beer and a good selection of whiskies. Indoor and outdoor seating available. Open late.
Xiamen, China
“Luv the meat”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2014 via mobile

My wife and I ate there several times. Tried the pulled pork, ribs, beef brisket, ice cream sundae. All yummy, beef brisket sandwich was my highlight, ice cream with a brownie was also good. Service good and friendly. Beer selection not expansive, but Stella on tap was most welcome. Well recommended.

Visited July 2014

• Chinese (Traditional) first
Ottawa, Canada
“A little taste of home”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2014

The best meat in Taiwan. the slow cook meat in the pull pork sandwiches is great. We order a Ceasar salad and a sandwich between the two of us. Add a Taiwan beer and it makes a great supper.

• Visited July 2014
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Taipei
“Lick This!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 4, 2014

Before Salt Lick, I was an average Canadian man enjoying all that life in Taiwan had to offer. Little did I know that one taste of Ben's authentic slow-cook BBQ would straight up bust my enjoy-o-meter.

My girlfriend and I were passing through Hualien, so we decided to detour for barbecue. We arrived at about 1 pm on Saturday. The heat was manageable, maybe 25-28c, so we sat outside.

We got our food surprisingly quickly- took 15 minutes tops. We originally planned on a pulled pork sandwich, ribs, and fries. However, I saw that they had a spicy pulled pork, which I could not pass up. So, in total, we got two pulled pork sandwiches, salads, fries, hush puppies and two drinks for about NTD1000.

I can see why the pork san was always mentioned in reviews. The bun was fresh and soft, the pork was tender, and the sauce gave it a little bit of spiciness and moisture. The spicy sauce was pretty darn good. The spiciness didn't linger, which was nice. I don't want my mouth to be on fire when I'm eating barbecue. All that said, I wouldn't have complained if they had put a little more sauce on there, but I wouldn't say it was lacking. 9/10

The fries were great. They were fresh, crispy, and well-seasoned. They didn't get soggy over time either. 9/10

The salads were beyond decent. The salads at a lot of "barbecue joints" in Taiwan are basically just thrown together. You could tell that these weren't. They had a nice mix of veg in there. 9/10

Kudos to Chef Ben for putting together an authentic American barbecue experience. I will be back, and with greater hunger! ^_^

• Visited June 2014
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Singapore River, Singapore
“Awesome”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2014

We were skeptical to eat at this restaurant since its an American restaurant while we wanted to try the local food in Hualien. However, with the high ranking in TripAdvisor, we decide to dine there for dinner and we certainly love it.

We had the Carolina Pulled Pork and the Beef Brisket Salad. Both dishes tasted fine, but the portion given were enormous! Neither of us could finish both the dishes that night.

While you can't certainly go wrong in a place with beer and loads of meat, Salt Lick is definitely worth a visit if local food is not a priority for the night.

• Visited June 2014
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Melbourne, Australia
“Pulled Pork Passion”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 11, 2014

My family come from the States, so I visit around once or twice a year. So I was amazed, when in this beautiful place in Hualien, I discovered the best pulled pork sandwich I've ever head. To top that off, the owner was amazing. We had a really great conversation with him about the local area and Taiwan. I really recommend this place.

p.s. Watch out - this place is not near the railway station, as we initially thought.

Visited April 2014