“A Few Nights in Shangri-La” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Silks Place Taroko

You added Silks Place Taroko to your Saves list
Silks Place Taroko
4.5 of 5 Hotel   |   No.18 Tian Hsyang Road, Shioulin Town, Hualien 972, Taiwan   |
Ranked #2 of 107 Hotels in Hualien
4.5 of 5 stars 456 Reviews
Woburn, Massachusetts
“A Few Nights in Shangri-La”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 9, 2011

It’s hard to describe all the wonderful things about this large, quiet hotel. My wife and I stayed there in late November and we were both very happy with our experiences. We stayed two nights, but we both wanted to stay a few more.

We found the hotel to be very clean and elegant, given its carefully-designed and open architecture. We stayed in a river view suite, then upgraded to a larger suite for my 50th birthday. Both rooms were well appointed and more than adequate – the larger suite was very impressive and had even more amenities (coffee, tea varieties, snacks, apples, bar).

We are both “foodies,” and loved the breakfasts offering plenty of variety: fresh-squeezed juices, eggs to order, perfect coffee…everything fresh! I was amazed at the honey-combed langan honey – a first for me. We couldn’t “not eat” at the Chinese restaurant that has a new hot-shot chef recruited from Taipei as the food was cooked perfectly and took advantage of the local foods like wild vegetable and bitter melon – both of which are very good for you. I can’t say enough about the food…

The outside environment was beautiful. You can (and should) walk around the area, which is adorned with temples. There’s even a small Catholic church within ten minutes of the hotel lobby. My wife and I are not climbers, but we found ourselves climbing down some scary trails to the river and we were rewarded with some amazing rock formations (see the faces?). The grounds outside the hotel are small, but it’s a cool place to take in the sites, especially the myriad hand-sized butterflies fluttering about the colorful property.

We did manage to play ping pong last day. The recreation room has Wii and other fun stuff. We saw the indoor pool area and no one was there.

The roof area is really neat (literally) and we enjoyed two “Aboriginal” performances. We even bought one of the artist’s CDs, which I’ve been enjoying since then. I am struck by the similarities in the “local” music and Native American sounds – can it be a coincidence?

My trip was wonderful, so my wife and I hope to be there next year again. This hotel is affordable, beautiful and little place in the clouds!

Room Tip: The river suites are awesome, but light sleepers may not like the river sounds. I believe the AC in...
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (102)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
San Francisco, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 30, 2011

Silks Place Taroko is located in the middle of Taroko Gorge rather than Hualien. There is a shuttle the hotel provides to pick you up from Hualien train station, but if you are driving your own car, it is a scary uphill, narrow bendy 30 -45 minute drive.
Best to pay extra for the gorge view rooms, rather than ones facing into the court yard (no privacy) and the mountain view a bit boring. Everything is true 5 star at this hotel except for the very very hard beds. This hotel would be completely awesome if they offered softer mattresses as an option for guests.
Breakfast was great! There must be an in-house pastry chef since all the bake goods are fresh and delicious. The selection of juices offered were freshly squeezed orange, pineapple, and watermelon. Plan on dinning at the hotel because it is difficult to travel back down to Hualien. We ate dinner at the Chinese restaurant and the dishes were delicious. The dishes were reasonably priced and much more refine than some of the restaurants in Kenting and Taitung.

fairfax, VA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 21, 2011

I stayed there in January 2011 with my girlfriend who is originally from Taiwan. The best thing about the hotel is the rooftop pool and hottubs which were open until midnight. The food was average for dinner and breakfast was excellent. I would highly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled with family
Hong Kong, China
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 21, 2011

We had a very memorable stay ( 5D4N ) at Taroko retreat. Customer service is excellant and staff are helpful adn friendly. I felt the hotel is really caring their guests not only just profit making. This is really rare from my experience. Internet connection is excellant. The meal is average but appreciated a lot the hand-made jam and spices. Local tour selection is a bit limited (prob due to previous earthquake). Love all the facilities in the hotel and the enviornment is excellant and quiet.
I definitely will choose the same hotel for my next visit to hualien. I think this is the best hotel I have stayed.
thanks.

Singapore, Singapore
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2011 via mobile

+ Tour provided
+ excellent service staff
+ great view of stream from my room !
+ decent Chinese restaurant
+ taiwanese street food just opposite
+ nice desserts bar by the hotel kitchen
+ lovely live singing by aborigine at rooftop
+ nice private sauna room for couple
+ hotel staff (Janet) helped to secure vital train tickets with a service fee

- unstable wifi access in room
- rushed and brief tour of attractions.
- full day tour subject to min. 4 pax
- shuttle bus missed us for the trip down to town. (but they made a detour!)

• Stayed November 2011
Hamburg, Germany
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 16, 2011

Stayed in Silks for 3 nights recently, the stay was excellent with the hotel feeling like a somewhat aged 4-5 star place.

The good:
*Spacious rooms and bathrooms, which looked a bit dated. Some nice details like a continental European power outlet in the bathroom.
*Very good breakfast
*Nice rooftop pool for swimming laps. Apparently there is a 2nd pool in the basement drawing bigger crowds.
*Good buffet dinner with excellent steaks. There are only very limited dinner choices in the vicinity of the hotel - so stick with their buffet!
*Fantastic location in the middle of the national park, you can start hiking directly from the hotel
*Friendly staff with generally decent English levels

The bad:
*Sometimes a slightly foul smell in the corridors and room, which I figured may have come from the A/C

This is probably the best place to stay in the area. Some tips:
*I booked a half-day tour with them which was OK, though the guide provided only limited English explanations as all other participants were Chinese speakers. For longer tours you should probably book a private guide.
*Some sights like the famous tunnel of 9 turns were closed during rockfall (and no apparent activity by the authorities to clean this up).
*There a many well-marked hiking trails in the areas which can be explored individually. The Baiyang falls are currently not reachable, even the secondary route is closed about an hour or so into the hike due to rockfalls - even the accessible first hour is rewarding to walk though offering some fine views. You can start directly from the hotel.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled solo
taichung
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2011

Wanting to do the hiking trails in Taroko Gorge, we decided that it would be best to stay in the gorge and the best place was Silks Place. We have stayed here before when it was the Grand Formosa Taroko and the improvement since is remarkable. We booked a retreat suite which was large and had a view of the river and mountain. It was decorated in a minimalistic style but still very comfortable except the rock hard bed. Since we were staying in a retreat suite, we were able to enjoy the Retreat Lounge and you can have breakfast, snacks, happy hour ( 5-6pm) and arrange dinners there. There are computers, magazines, newspapers and books to enjoy and it has great views of the surrounding areas. The only issues were with breakfast the toast was cold and I like my toast hot right out of the toaster and at happy hour they didn't provide snacks to go with the drinks. The roof top pool is a great place to relax and the best time to enjoy it , is between 12 and 3 when the other guests check out and before new ones check-in. There is also a roof top fire-pit with a chill out sitting area.

We tried both the chinese and buffet restaurants for dinner and they were good but I felt the buffet restaurant was very busy and I am glad that at breakfast time we could go somewhere else. The hotel also provides a wide range of various activities and we did a few of them and they were quite good. If we visit Taroko Gorge again, we will stay here again.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled with friends

Been to Silks Place Taroko? Share your experiences!